1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Managing Impressions & Expectations...

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by SriVidya75, Jul 9, 2009.

1. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

I have this peculiar problem...I dont know how to handle or address this anymore....lately I am getting upset & restless because of this...
    My problem is my family thinks I give more importance to others than them...to explain in detail...

My husband thinks I love my parents more than him, I respect them more than him..(which is not the case, I keep supporting and backing my husband infront of my parents / friends all the time) so no idea how he got this feeling about me...he keeps saying I dont love him as much as he loves me....so if he is feeling this...naturally my inlaws also feel the same thing....sometimes atleast I can make my husband understand by discussing it with him but how can I affirm the same to my inlaws??

Now coming to my parents, my mom keeps nagging me saying that after marriage I have changed, I always worry and think more about my husband and inlaws than anyone else / anything else....I am paying less attention to them...I wont try to support them etc..etc..(this is not monetary support they are talking about) ..again here my mom is wrong..whenever there is any misunderstanding or communication gap I keep supporting or giving my husband the other side i.e my parents side point of view also..its not that she doesnt like my husband just that as every human being , they also have their opinions framed..about me and my husband and inlaws...during initial years of marriage I thought may be my parents are kind of feeling lonely as I got married and came to US, but its been 4 yrs and still they are the same....lately I had to cut down calls to my parents , because I just cant take this thu thu mein mein talks...

I dont know where am I going wrong...this is becoming nasty day by day where I am not able to satisfy or make atleast one party feel good and I am taking this pressure more and more ...when I am on phone with my parents, my mom specially keeps on complaining that I have started to become like my husband or talk like him / comment like him / that he taught me something against them etc..etc...

Now when I talk to my husband during arguments or any discussions he says the same exact words...and he also keeps saying his parents i.e my inlaws are also of the same opinion that my mom and dad taught me some nonsense / that they keep guiding me....

I cant explain any one particular situation, this has become more of my daily routine where I am just getting bugged up as I am not able to manage these impressions anymore...

Lately I started just to be myself and do what I like and the way I like it, however I myself am not feeling good about it. I want to see everyone happy, I dont have any kind of partiality towards any one single person here....my parents will have their share of love and respect from me...and my husband his share and inlaws their share..but how do I show them that I want to do justice to everyone here...sometimes I feel i am killing myself to satisfy everyone

Please help me to manage these expectations and most of all how to affirm my love and affection without hurting anyone in this...

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009

2. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Vidya ,

Do not please anyone.. Just do what best you have been doing all this while. Tell them, this is how you have always been and would always be.. You know you havent changed.. If others are trying to create such illusions then, there is not much you can do to help..

But no pleasing games. You know why, it will just drain you out someday..
    DOnt allow that to happen, Vidya.

The next time your mom complains you must tell her to not crib. You may stop calling if they nag this way. Tell them, you are no different from some Mrs.X who keeps nagging.. She compares you with your hubby isnt ? Say the same thing.. She will understand it was wrong .. For God's sake they bought you into this world and should be sooo sure about you..

Even if you have become like your husband so what ?? He does not behave like Veerappan, right ? You must firmly tell her to STOP talking about your hubby. However he is, you would handle him and your life. Period.

Similarly you must tell your husband to stop talking and comparing himself with your parents.. Does he even understand that HE IS YOUR HUSBAND AND NOT YOUR PARENT ?? Ask him to pause for a second and ponder. How can a parent and husband be loved the same ? Ridiculous isnt ? What role and importance he has in your life is irreplaceable .. So, there shouldnt be any comparisons or insecurities in the first place !! As an adult he must understand that.

The next time anyone tells you , your parents taught you rubbish , tell them firmly that usually no parent do that. Even if they did, YOU ARE AN ADULT and know what is right and wrong. So, people need to keep their silly opinions to themselves ! It is amazing how people talk stupid and blame parents if the daughter does something wrong as an adult ! Few things maybe, but everything !!! Outrageous !!

Time to stop satisfying everyone, Vidya ! Just be the way you are.. People who know you and want you that way, can be around. Rest can keep brooding all their life and miss out on the good things you are giving them !!

Take care..

3. SriVidya75

Thank you Preethi for making me feel a bit better...I am trying to be the way I am and do what is supposed to be done rather than please anyone here...but no matter what I do..I feel someone or the other gets hurt..its such a tough catch..:rant:rant

My parents are the one who wanted to get me married, they found the alliance and got me married. Why the hell they now have to keep complaining about everything I do after marriage? they are happy to see me happy but again this nagging thing on...oh you changed after marriage..you never cooked so much when you were here...you never used to do this...you have become like a daadi amma doing all big stuff at your age..I dont get it at all..what else can I do? I have to do all the stuff I am doing some out of my interest and some for my husband...but she makes me feel bad for doing some of the things, i get irritated , shout on them and put the phone down...again I call them up say sorry...it will be ok for a week, next week same story again..before I used to call my parents daily...lately I am talking to them once in a week...am sure this also is going to be reduced further if things go this way...as I need my peace of mind..:bonk:bonk

My husband..he knows more than anyone else on this earth, what we both had to go through to get married, suddenly he just seems to keep his eyes and brain closed and just opens his ears to my inlaws...till the time we got married, he was able to beleive that I love him more than anything else...but after marriage, his opinions changed...:hide:I never understood what actions of mine gave him this impression??

my inlaws..i can understand their point..they have not been with me much , they dont know what all i do and manage here on a day to day basis.....but just like any other inlaws they have their share of complaints on me..and slowly those complaints are becoming like nagging thing and escalated and becoming issues which upsets my husband and he shows that on to me...above all they complain about my parents to my husband...now what can I do about my parents behaviour towards my inlaws? do I have any control over it? :drowning:drowningand does that mean if my parents behave well with my inlaws..does it show how much I love and respect my husband / inlaws....what is the catch here??? i dont understand the linking / expectation here...:bang

i am just getting more n more drained these days as all that I do, am never able to satisfy anyone..this thought and feeling it self is soo tiring and so discouraging..:idontgetit:

4. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

SriVidya,

You are the only child to your parents or do they have any one else.
    Typically your mother ,some parents they don't know how to come out of this,because you were there with them almost 20+ years and suddle if you come out of the house,they can't take it easily.This is the reason for her behaviour.She was not able to digest the fact that you are out of there house.
    Just ask her was she was doing same work before her marraige and after her marraige.Try to devort her to do some other works and keep her busy.Overall i see your mother is missing you so much.
    Coming to your DH,lot of DH's can't digist if you talk to your parents before them.So try to avaoid talking to your mother before them and also don't share lot of information about your parents.I have feeling that you might have shared lot of information to him and that's why he is feeling that way.

5. SriVidya75

Priya

I understand my moms perspective..on what you said...yes she needs sometime to adjust and come to understanding that nowI am not living with them...but its been 4 yrs I am married..still not being able to cope up??? this is what making me upset....they have to understand me more than anyone else...most of the times they are ok...but this nagging thing on everything I do / dont do...??? seems Like i am like a dholak taking nagging on both sides..parents and inlaws/husband

Coming to my calls to my parents..I make them when my husband has gone to work...or from my work place...he keeps track of all teh calls and also asks me what is it that i talk so much with my parents that too daily?? for so much time??? If i stop calling or reduce the calls, again nagging from my parents...its such a craaazzzzy situation ...

Thank you for that tip on not sharing too much of info about parents..i keep talking n talking about what they are doing in India, where they went what they did etc..its just a general chat with my husband which I do as a friend...no idea it would lead to such mis interpretations

by the way I am the elder one in my house..I have younger siblings

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  6. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Vidya,

Do you have any siblings? Each person is different and some people are sensitive and they don't see the reality of the life .So your mother would have been one of them. She might have been very sensitive and she might have raised you with lots of love without thinking that you would go one day. If possible please check her with some doctor; in general it might help. Does your mother attached to your father? I think she needs some body to support her in day to day.
    For your husband it didn’t come in one day. It might have been started from your marriage. He might be observing you and your parents. I think lot of men doesn’t like that and even I believe vise versa. There is always being some limit in any relation. if not it will cause problems.
    Why don't you buy some calling cards and if needed talk from office. Don’t use online card where he can check. I know for you both of them important but here both of them are feeling insecure. You don't get exhausted; stay strong and you can deal this situation.
    When your mother asks next time, you need to talk her in reality. Ask her is she has been same before her marriage and after marriage. Doesn’t she not to cook for your father. So tell her you are the same women and you are no different from any one. I think you need to talk to her openly and direct to explain you status. Some could get into depression.

sindmani likes this.
  7. depressed

depressed Bronze IL'ite

Dear SriVidya,

This is what I have done in my married life. If not now, ultimately you too have to take this route as I have found from my experience that this route usually works.

The background : I am the only daughter of my parents. My husband is the second son and the third/youngest child of the family.

Anyway, after marriage YOU HAVE TO LEARN NOT TO GIVE UNDUE IMPORTANCE OR PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT TO EITHER YOUR PARENTS OR IN-LAWS. By that I mean, treat each of them equally and prevent them from crossing the line of respect.

1. I call my parents and in-laws twice a week, [ sometimes once a week ] without fail. Please do not stop calling them- but limit your calls. There is no need to call them frequently.
    Both in-laws and parents try to influence their sons/daughters over phone-which is bad and therefore telephone/mobile talks should be limited to once or twice a week, I feel.

When in the old times, there was no mobile, or telephone expenses were costly- couples in nuclear families had lesser control from their relatives/in-laws/parents-and their married life was less stressful because of this reason, I think.

So, do not misuse the mobile.

2. When I talk to my parents, after sometime , I hand over the phone to my husband. Even if he is not interested or willing to talk, I hand him the phone so that he can talk to my parents. I make sure he talks with them-even if it is for 1 minute or even if the conversation is strictly formal. This helps in clearing misunderstanding between son-in-laws [your husband] and your parents. It also gives them less chance to complain about each other.

3. I do not talk about my in-laws with my parents. I do not talk about my parents with my in-laws, unless it is a matter of health related issues or a very serious matter.
    If my parents starts talking about my in laws in a bad light [they may be justified], I change the subject . If my in-laws try to talk ill about my parents- I change the subject too- If MIL /mother starts complaining, I tell them "please give the phone to FIL/Father, I have something important to tell him". I do not allow anyone to talk bad about each other.
    If I am forced to listen to something for the first time, I listen once but do not allow my parents/in-laws to bring that topic twice in our next conversation.

4. Even after doing so, if my MIL/FIL keeps complaining to my husband about my parents-then I make sure my husband see both side of the story and usually, he does.

5. In your case, your husband cannot see any difference between you and your parents -and if according to him, you are doing as your parents tell you-Then do not give him a chance to complain -you stop the "hate topic" itself-no more badmouthing will be tolerated from either your parents or his-make it clear to him and them-directly or indirectly.

6. all my conversation with my MIL/FIL is srtictly formal-Like-"how are you ? how is your health ? how is the weather there ? Are you taking your medicines regularly ? Have you taken dinner/lunch ? -Nothing beyond that.

7. If someone tries to bad mouth about each other over the phone- I tell them-"-please change the topic, there is GOD-he will do justice one day [if it is a case where my parents say something controversial about my in-laws]. SIMILARLY, I SAY- " I am giving the phone to your son [my husband]" - [if it is a case where my in-laws say something controversial about my parents].

8. The more you talk about your in laws with your parents in the phone, the more upset you will get-I am telling you. No need to praise anyone or please anyone but no need to dwell upon bad subjects too.

Thanks,
    "HAPPY"

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
    sindmani likes this.
  8. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

I guess your parents should stop giving you this nonsense.. sorry.. but that's what I feel.. Knowing you for 20 years.. I guess they should know that you have more responsibilities in your new family ,.. If they had wanted to be with them, why get you married. I would have a frank discussion with your mom especially on this. It's your mom after all. She should know how much its affecting you.. You can tell her what is that she wants.. than nagging for silly things... I guess doing this sweet sugar coating talk will not help, its painful and stressful. If there is an opportunity to be transparent and frank, I guess we should use that and take it off the chest.

I am surprised why you are listening to all this.. If your mom starts off you are never the same, ask her back for once, if you want her to be the same, why get her married knowing that she is going to live of in a new family with more responsibilities?

I know I might sound harsh.. but I guess you need to make her understand.. after 4 years of marriage.. someone has to come to reality..

I guess this is the root problem.. solving this would automatically take out the branches (husband, inlaws, kids.. whoever is whining on the other side)

sindmani likes this.
  9. pandusk

pandusk Gold IL'ite

Very well said Happy, it is a tough role to be a good daughter, wife, daughter in law and to keep evryone happy.

These egoes, misunderstnadings, settlements, calculations on who has done what and why everyhting makes life worse. :drowning

10. SriVidya75

Happy

Thank you for the nice pointers...tehse days I started keeping restraint onmyself saying 1 day no internet...1 day no phone talks or calls at all kind of rule so that I want to stop myself from being addicted to these technologies..

I do agree one thing..I made one mistake where during initial days of marriage as i was at home and alone I used to spend most of my time chatting with my mom. later on I started working and got responsibilities at home...but seems like she was not able to getover this chatting thing...even if I stop calling her one day she makes 10 calls and you should see me that day first of all I am scared as my husband is already upset for the no. of calls my mom makes to me....second I myself gets soo angry as to why she calls so desperately...this is too much..i told her several times not to make calls several times with less intervals , however this has led to tiffs b/w me and my husband ...as expected