Management Lesson from Ramayana

Discussion in 'Jokes' started by jayasala42, Nov 4, 2013.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: yucs-form-input"][/TD]
    [TD="class: yucs-form-btn"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Press ? for Keyboard Shortcuts.

Ramayan Management Lessons

Title
    Jambavant Motivating Hanuman to Cross the Sea
    - Adhyatma Ramayana

Purpose to be Achieved
    To understand the importance of Motivation in the Performance of an Employee.

Actual Story

The monkeys were overjoyed when they came to know from Sampati, the Lordly Vulture that Mata Sita was in Lanka.

Looking at the sea expansive and unapproachable like the sky, the monkeys began to speak among themselves as to who shall cross the sea. From among the monkeys, Jambavant said,†I can leap up to ninety kilometers. In a previous age, when Mahavishnu incarnated Himself as and measured the whole world by one step, I circumambulated His foot twenty one times. But now I am old and my capacity to leap is very limitedâ€. Now Angada said,†I shall be able to leap across the ocean to the other shore, but I do not know whether I am capable of leaping backâ€.

Now Jambavant intervened again and said,†I shall show you him who can accomplish the task very easily and expeditiouslyâ€.
    After saying so, he addressed Hanuman who was standing aloof. He said,†In this grave situation, why are you standing aloof and silent? This is the occasion for you to demonstrate your strength. You are the off spring of the Wind- God and as powerful as He is. You are begotten by the deity in order to accomplish Rama’s purpose. Long before, at your very birth, seeing the rising sun, you jumped towards him mistaking the disc of the Sun for a ripe fruit. After going up about 500 kilometers you fell down on the earth. When you can accomplish such a feat, who can really estimate the extent of your strength? Wake Up, and accomplish the purpose of Rama and save all of usâ€.

Motivated by the words of Jambavant, Hanuman grew mountain size and declared “Crossing the sea I shall reduce Lanka to ashes. Destroying Ravana with all his tribe, I shall bring Mata Sitaâ€. Hearing these words of Hanuman, Jambavant said “Now, finding the whereabouts of Sita, whether she is alive or not, you should return. Afterwards, accompanied by Rama, you can go to Lanka and demonstrate your strengthsâ€.

Backed by the blessings of all the members of the troop, Hanuman went up on the top of Mahendra Mountain, and took off his flight.

Message with Reference to Management
    ----------------------------------------------------

Motivation strives to continually offer positive words of encouragement to help give the self confidence and self-esteem needed to empower, motivate and inspire yourself and others.
    When it became clear that Mata Sita was in Lanka, Jambavant asked Hanuman to go there. He helped him realize his true potential and motivated him to go to enemy’s camp.
    Jambavant motivating Hanuman is a classical example of a good manager helping his personnel to realize their potential and aligning them with the management goal.

The importance of selecting Right Man for the Right Job, for the successful completion of a task is highlighted in this narration. The vigorous selection process was seen in where all the probable candidates shared their strengths and weaknesses, such that the best fit for the job could be chosen.

Assessment Skills hold great significance for an effective Management Functioning. HR in particular should have refined skills for assessing so that a good selection can be made. Jambavant selecting Hanuman after a checking the skills possessed by all and concluding that Hanuman would be the best for this Job indicated great power of unbiased assessment.

Defined and definite allocation of Tasks; which we saw in Jamabavant stating to Hanuman also constitutes of the very important tasks of management. An employee might have more caliber than his present job demands, but the Role Clarity has to be of a great magnitude.
    The importance of ‘Job Description’ is learned from this narration. We see Hanuman willing to do more than he is asked to. He is willing to kill Ravana and bring back Mata Sita in his first visit itself. Here, Jambavant brings forth an essential tool of Management, and specifies his Job Description, by repeating that Hanuman has to only find the whereabouts of Mata Sita in his this visit.
    The concept of ‘Phook-Theory†can be seen in this narration. Propotionate bosting up of a person, and a check of over confidence becomes an integral part of Management.
    Jambavant realising that Hanuman had forgotten his powers, reminded him of them by narrating Hanuman of His great deeds of past, as to how he had jumped towards the sun upto 500 kilometers and that he was capable of achieving great results. This instilled in Hnauman Self-confidence and motivation to jump towards Lanka.
    Soon Jambavant saw Hanuman becoming aggressive and over-ambitious because of the confidence he had gained. He believed that he could kill Ravana alone. On this Jambavant readdressed Hanuman and said he needed to to only what was assisged to him.
    Hanuman agrees to what Jambavant restricts him on doing in Lanka. This highlights the quality of being a good Team – Member.
    It is of apex importance to have a team of members who have a understanding of the common vision the whole team is working for. Placing the goals and the orders of the higher management ahead of personal goals is the only base which can ensure the success of the team.
    “Self- Assessment cannot lead to self disclosure if the environment is not safeâ€
    In this story, we see all the team members honestly assessing their own strengths and weaknesses in front of the whole team in order to decide who would be ideal to go to Lanka. This shows the cohesion that is present in the team. The team members are not afraid to accept their weakness in public as they are sure the respect for them as individuals would not be vary in the eyes of the team members.
    It is very crucial thus to have a team in which there is mutual respect for each other and acceptance of their weaknesses. A team without cohesion is likely to have a high degree if inter group conflict.
    Incentives and Perks should not be directly related to the Strengths and weaknesses of an individual.
    If the perks are directly related to strengths, no one would be willing to undergo an honest SWOT analysis, which would in the long run affect the goal achievement of the organization. Everyone will always project themselves to be stronger than what they are and more capable than what they can really do.
    It is the job of the HR to minimize weaknesses and maximize strength.

Moral of the Story

Motivating employees to become a leader the only sign of a great leader.

Jayasala42

__._,_.___

2. pihoousa

pihoousa Senior IL'ite