1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Making The Cat Laugh - By Lynne Truss

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by varalotti, Jan 15, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Most Gracious ILites,

I picked this book from a local book fair. You know the author, probably. She wrote the world-acclaimed punctuation book, "Eats, Shoots and Leaves." It was the only grammar book in publishing history to become a best-seller.

She is a columnist and a literary critic. This book is an anthology of all her columns.

Do you remember ladies I threw a challenge at you, that if you can read my story without shedding tears, then you win a prize.

When my translation book was read by the publisher's editor he told the same thing. If some one can read this book without crying, we are thinking of giving that person an Academy Award - and then promptly pack him up to the neighbourhood psychiatrist.

With Ms.Truss's book, the challenge is on the other side. If you dont laugh while reading this 212-page book, you are in for an award - and a pshychiatric treatment too.

I was laughing aloud while reading the book - in fact laughing so much that my dear wife came running to me with the word,
    "நேத்துக் கூட நன்னாத்தானே இருந்தேள். இப்ப என்ன ஆச்சு?"
    I rushed to book fair when it was about to close down and got down two more books of Ms.Truss.
    I want to share this happiness with you.
    love,
    Varalotti

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

Thanks for this suggestion. I have put in a request at my local library and hope to get my hands on the book by next week.

Vandhana

3. vidyasarada

vidyasarada Senior IL'ite

Dear Sridhar
    Lynn Truss;s book is indeed enjoyable. I read it as soon as it got into the best sellers list last year and was so vigorously plugged by Amazon.com. Incredible that a book on grammar can be so hilarious . Visualising a cowboy- panda nonchalantly finishing dinner , shooting down a fellow diner and swaggering out makes me chuckle even now.:mrgreen:
    VS

4. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Read her other books, VS

Dear VS,
    I also bought that grammar book; but I am yet to complete it. This time at the local fair I was amazed to see her other books. I got three books, Making the Cat Laugh (very hilarious), Talking to the Hand (a book on rudeness, again you cant stop laughing) and Tennysons Gift. I have finished the Cat book and have started Talking to The Hand.
    regards
    sridhar

5. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

enge puthagam?

hello

kaadu kekkatta
    ellorum
    vizhundu vizhundu
    sirikkumpozudhu
    naamum vaai vittu
    sirikkavendiyathu thaan
    enna seivathu
    enna joke ennru purinthaal thane
    therindu sirippadarku

appadithaan irukkiradhu
    inda write up pathi ezhudanum enral
    puthagangal kidaikatha pozhudu
    karpanai panni sirikka vendiyathuthaan

haha
    sathya

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  6. vidyasarada

vidyasarada Senior IL'ite

Dear Poetess Sathya
    Really enjoyed your humourous ditty.
    Too bad you could not get the books. Maybe you can order them online.

In the meanwhile, just to comfort you, so that you dont have to " karpanai panni sirikka"fy, I'll explain that Panda joke in my last post:
    You see, that Book "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" by Lynn Truss is a grammar book that speaks of the importance of punctuation in english writing. The title itself is a wrongly punctuated line that describes a Panda . That animal's diet consits of tender bamboo shoots and leaves. So a short description of the animal should ideally read as : " Dependent on the Bamboo . Eats shoots and leaves. " But by placing a comma after the first word, the person who wrote it unwittingly converts the Panda into some wild ,cowboylike figure who eats his meal, then "shoots" ( with a gun) someone and finally " leaves" (departs).
    So thats the joke ! The book has more such inadvertantly funny examples.

Vs

7. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello sarada

thank u so much for saying about eats, shoots and leaves

well i ws just wondering what could be so funny about eats shoots etc
    ( my book is called eats and drinks !! quite a serious one on how to eat when etc..)

never learnt grammar properly in school ....
    may will have to learn it the funny way?

sathya