Making Rich Filter coffee details

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by an123, Apr 29, 2014.

1. an123

an123 Bronze IL'ite

Hi

I am not a native filter coffee drinker but love the filter coffee that they serve in South Indian restaurants. I am married to a Chennaite and thus my parents-in-law presented me with a filter coffee set. I don’t have problems in using the filter coffee set and am clear about the process, but I don’t get the rich coffee that is served in restaurants. I greatly suspect the coffee powder quality for this. Thus I am opening this query in this forum:

1. What is the best ratio of peabury to plantain A to get a very strong coffee without losing the aroma? We tried 50 to 50 and it is just not strong enough. We got it freshly ground from coffee day in Chennai.

2. Or should I just use peabury alone? Would the flavour be lost?

3. Or would an 85% peabury to 15% chicory give a stronger taste? That is the ratio I see in bru filter coffee ingredient list. We love the Sunrise strong instant coffee taste and that is a 70: 30 coffee to chicory taste.

4. How many tablespoons per person would give a thick decoction for 1 person?

5. Is there a significant difference in flavour and taste between instant coffee freshly ground and those sold in stores? Has the quality and delta between these over the years dropped? Is freshly ground quality nowadays just overarted? The one we bought in Chennai was a real disappointment.

6. Is peabury the only coffee bean type in India or are there others?

7. Is there any harm in taking Chicory on a daily basis? I searched the net and it doesn’t seem to show anything severely negative. Is it just an old wives tale?

8. We stay in and are new to Hyderabad, Hi-tech city. Anybody knows of stores which sell good customised ground coffee to your preference.

Really appreciate your feedback and experience
    Thanks
    AN123

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Finally a question on my area of extensive research! I love filter coffee too and now have pretty much nailed it after talking to lots of barista paatis and mamis, plus trial and error.

1. Ratio, 50-50 or increase the Arabiatta component.

2. Pea bury alone quite doesn't cut it is what I've heard. I tend to go more for the a.

3. Chicory, I'd say 25-50 g per 500g will give great results. I tend to go for 50 but I've drunk some awesome coffee with just 25.

4. Now thick decotion depends on the filter! Get the smallest one you can manage. Then fill it up 2/3rds to 3/4th. If you have a large filter you are going to need lots of powder. I have a tiny one and 2 and half heaped tsp gives great results. And my big one needs 10tsp. The small one gives enough for two. Then you can still add hot water and get a milder dose for the evening.

you probably already know these but it's with repeating: don't pack the powder down fully; don't use that extra contraption they give on top of the filter to poke; just level it by gently shaking the fiter; add a pinch of sugar; ensure that the water is boiling when it hits the powder; tilt the top such that there is a small gap between the top and the bottom; similarly a tiny gap between the top and the lid.

5. Oh yes. Freshly ground is way better. But then I bring freshly ground from India and store it for a couple of months. You need to ask the guy to grind it in front of you. The pack will be warm to touch and the aroma will take you to heaven.

6. You have the A which is Arabiatta. I haven't even bothered to check if the more exotic varieties are available.

7. Nope. I remember reading a research which said 100%chicory is not good but these tiny quantities are better since it offsets the negative effects of coffee(whatever that is). I'd like to believe that.

8. Sorry dear, I don't know about Hyderabad. But does it have cafe coffee day? They sell some awesome fresh found powder... All traditional style.

enjoy your coffee!!

8 people like this.
  3. an123

an123 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks guessboo for your quick and detailed reply.

From the ratio you mentioned..I shall try 90% A and 10% chicory.
    I hope the Indan shops do carry A.

Thanks also for the minute details on the method. Adding slight sugar and the fact of tilting it was things I didnt know. As well as a smaller filter is better than a bigger one.

A quick 3 questions:
    1. After filling with 3/4 full with powder, do I pour water to the brim or just to cover the powder.
    2. since I am filling with 3/4 powder I guess thats why you say dont add the contraption on top as it will stick out of the filter and we cant use the lid. Am i right?
    3. Do you think the restaurants are adding chicory to their filter coffees? I really think they do as the aroma is really strong.

Thanks Again !
    AN123

4. manjubashini

manjubashini IL Hall of Fame

Woow Gueshoo Lots of information about filter coffee. I dont know much details about it. My hubby is great fan of filter coffee so i too keep on searching for good coffee powders and the proportions.

Anu Hotels they surely add chicory get the color and aroma.
    Recently i bought a filter like this which makes a wonderful aromatic coffee. Try if you can get it. Its available in online stores too.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. an123

an123 Bronze IL'ite

One more question, hope I dont sound like a dumbo but I am a real virgin to filter coffee making. Is Ariabiata and Plantation A the same thing? If not what does A stand for in plantation A?

An123

6. pinky2cute

pinky2cute Platinum IL'ite

I too make filter coffee but never get that rich thick decoction. Now I understood from guesswho post that it depends on filter size!

I have a large filter and I used to add 3 tablespoons coffee powder for 2 people. Yet the decoction will not be thick....
    Am I pouring more water????

How much to pour water? Even I dont know. I thought we need to fill upto brim?

Sometimes coffee powder+water mixture doesnt flow down in the bottom part even though I dont press it with the stem handle.

I would appreciate if someone could tell me where I am going wrong?

I use 70-30 coffee-chicory mix powder freshly ground near my home.

Attaching a pic of the coffee filter size. Out of the three, mine is the biggest one of all (the last one from the left)

3374_front.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  7. pinky2cute

pinky2cute Platinum IL'ite

After lot of trial and error, I gave up and now making instant coffee with nescafe sunrise. It does give somewhat filter coffee taste but nothing can replace the original filter coffee. :)

8. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Glad to be of service, an123. Those tips and tricks were all from the experts :)

1. the boiling water should go to the brim. If you wait a couple of seconds it would go down slightly - as in would be travelling through the delicious coffee powder - and you can add more boiling water then. Keep topping it up for the first half min or so.

2. I don't know what the contraption is for actually. Someone whose coffee wasn't very nice (I'm ungrateful, I know) told me she'd put it in, add powder on too and move the thing up and down for the decotion to go down faster. End result, terrible coffee. The best coffee making aunties and grans have told me to throw it away.

3. I'm not sure it is to do with chicory as much as how exactly the coffee is made from the decotion. How I make it is this
    - boil the milk - microwaving it till it boils is fine too.
    - have the decotion + sugar in your cup/ tumbler(which I highly recommend)
    - when the milk is still very hot, pour it from a slight height such that the milk hits the sugar + decotion making a lot of froth. You will learn to do this without having to use a spoon to mix the sugar in. Somehow using a spoon to mix it makes it lose the flavour.

I once had a pack without chicory and making it this way made a ton of difference. The factors which seem to affect the quality of the final coffee:
    1. Decotion being slightly warm makes a huge difference. My gran would warm the decotion plus sugar for our afternoon coffee for just a couple of seconds if the decotion was made in the morning.
    2. The milk should be hot and decotion warm.
    3. Don't put the final coffee in the microwave or the stove ever. Reheating just simply destroys it. Mix it all just at that last moment before you drink.
    4. The coffee must be frothy when you drink it - if you notice the bubbles in the froth they are constantly exploding. I think it sends the delicious smell up to your brain and adds to the pleasure.

Trouble-shooting: If for some reason the water in the filter doesn't go down, it indicated that the powder is too finely packed. To fix it, use the back of a spoon, push it into the powder gently and slowly cut across to the other side. Repeat to make a cross. Check and do it when the water is still hot, you decotion will still be perfect.

I just had my morning coffee and am really enjoying sharing these tips with you.. It is taking me down the memory lane of chats with my gran and all other awesome coffee makers I knew. I'm late for the school run but it is worth it! :) enjoy!

2 people like this.
  9. an123

an123 Bronze IL'ite

Has anyone tried the Bru Select versus the Bru roast and ground filter coffee powders?

Bru select has 85% peabury +arabica + Robusta and 15% chicory
    Bru roast and ground has coffee : chicory : 53: 47

Just want to have a feel how the chicory content changes the taste and flavour of the filter coffee...before i go down and ground my own combination..

It says that increasing chicory content allows a second filter to be strong...but I am wondering whether it loses the coffee flavour ....

AN123

10. an123

an123 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Guessbo...I will do my first trial tomorrow using the same ration 50-50 in peabury and plantation powder which is still remaining....and just change my processes as per guessbo advice...lets see the improvement...

over the weeeknd shall go and gring my new 90 to 10% powder and enjoy as how Guessbo is....my cup of coffee!!!