1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Making new friends in US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Shagufy, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Shagufy

Shagufy New IL'ite

Hi,

I have just moved to Illinois and making new friends and socializing seems to be a big challenge here. I would like some suggestions and guidance to forums/ groups where we can make new friends and share common interests.

Thanks,
    Shagufy

2. anjubkkth

anjubkkth New IL'ite

Have a open minded personality leave behind some crude Indian habit such as imposing India all the time, getting in to unnecessary debate where you have to prove your point. Keep discussion light and observe in yourself if you need some refinement as per American standard. Some hygiene perspective is very important in so called FOBs such as spice smell from clothes etc. Know the dress codes for situation and occasions, so you don't look odd.

3. anjaleena

anjaleena New IL'ite

Though it is very difficult to make friends in a new place,But friends are very important in life. So to start with, you could invite your neighbors for dinner, or go on an outing with them.

4. whatisaguytodo

whatisaguytodo Gold IL'ite

Ooh...that's definitely important. If you cook make sure you have a good range hood for the kitchen. Keep the doors of all the bedrooms closed when you are cooking so the smell doesn't get on to the clothes. Especially important in the winter since you can't open the windows.

5. anjubkkth

anjubkkth New IL'ite

Totally agree to that and good tips. If your clothes smells which may not realize, people would not sit with you.

6. pihoousa

pihoousa Senior IL'ite

give party n fod they wll come

7. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Seriously; does that happen???? Smell of spices on the clothes????

1 person likes this.
  8. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Yes thats100% true Nitha...Myhubby use to say when i cook biriyani kind of thing during weekend...particularly in winter..it sticks to our jackets...

But i experienced it in Walmart, suddenly i got indian food smell strongly.When i turned there was a family standing near by....when i passed them i felt it very strong....

When i was workingout at 12p.m afternoon in gym...nice chutney /seasoningsmell from gent's cotton shirt beside....it was so tough for me to control my appetite and focus on workout...:)))

9. AlishaT

AlishaT Silver IL'ite

Agreed! When i sit in the trains and subways here I can almost immediately tell if an Indian has walked past me.. Eyes closed! We must be very careful with our clothes. Keep all clothes in the cupboards inside the room and close the door of the main bedrooms while cooking. Immediately after cooking, no matter how cold it is, try to open the windows or even the main door to let the smell leave the house. Impt guys! we dont want our ppl smelling like masala and curry all over! :SS

10. whatisaguytodo

whatisaguytodo Gold IL'ite

Yes, it's really bad sometimes. I've also seen a few guys who haven't discovered soap. Not as often as smelling of spices but there have been a few, especially when I visit the Indian area's of the city.