1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Maids Made In India

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear SLN Sir,

The video about that maid asking about regular or special or executive service has become very famous with so many views. Similarly, the priest who performs pooja virtually asking the high tech professionals to press buttons based on what they prefer to offer to God is also famous. What a novel idea to avoid smoke-filled house but only let the priest to chant Mantra from remote location.

We have been lucky so far whenever we go to Chennai from the US. The same set of maids who work for us come back to work for one month (I really wonder how). Perhaps, the sweet talk by MIL and my wife should be responsible for that plus a liberal pay. We hire a large vehicle and a driver, a woman who cooks for us and a maid who cleans the house. All of them do multiple jobs including packing and unpacking of our bags, unloading and loading of bags from the car and so many other work without any hesitation. But we always eat both lunch and dinner with all of them. When we go for shopping, we also buy things for them.

Thyagarajan, Vaikuntha and Mistt like this.
  2. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

3. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Thygarajan,
    Whatever dwindling time we have been spending on supervision,is disappearing with distraction from social media.We have a dishwasher at home for use when maids go on leave.For the last ten days I find that the maid is loading the dishwasher everyday without seeking permission.Just to avoid putting out clothes to dry they are extensively using the dryer.Some residents have started using Robot cleaner cum mopper.Hear again they need a maid to operate these gadgets.People are required with different skills as Alvin Toffler says in his book future shock.Over a period of time maids with technical skills will charge more.Gone are the days when with a towel warapped over his head father cleans the fans, with son holding the stool. Necessity breeds revolution.With increased income levels, middle class neo millionnairs can unerstand and afford technology as well as the cost of putting it into use.
    Regards
    SLN

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa,
    Hearty congratulations for getting the time tested help when you are in chennai.It speaks volumes of the human relations and the human dignity practised from the heart.This type of help is not available with maids or drivers in the age group of twentyfive-thirty.Even for an increase of two hundred Rs,they switch jobs.In my second daughters house there is a lady called Neela in her late fiftees working for the last twelve years.My daughter has created a corpus of twelve months salary and also pays for a mediclaim policy.On the other hand youngsters dont care for this consideration but seek instant gratification by way of increased salary. My experience reveals better loyalty and commitment with domestic help in the higher age bracket.
    Regards
    SLN

Viswamitra, joylokhi and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Hahahaha.... this is the kind of message that goes around in whatsapp forwards. Germany (and the rest of Europe) gets a lot of migrants looking for unskilled work. So does the USA. They are poorly paid (better in Europe than in the USA, because of progressive taxation, and amenities for the poor -- like public transport and healthcare access) and have access to limousines only if they happen to work in carwash locations.

If Domestic help is paid well enough to afford a good life, our grandchildren will work as domestics, and have the good life. This is the "invisible hand" of resource allocation of Adam Smith, the economist. Heck... if India still had, and imposed "reservations" in private employment, only certain disadvantaged classes would be allowed to work in domestic service labor.
    The moral for the OP could be "Warm that Rasam!".

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:You have had my rasam flavoured!
    Thanks and Regards.

Amulet likes this.
  8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:I agree that with free education upto matriculation under various Government schemes and with enhanced literacy among toiling class, domestic helpers too seen with quick learning of the skill needed in tech driven work places.

2. Yes it was prophesied correctly four decades ago by ALVIN TOFFLER - author of FUTURE SHOCK. A reference to this book I remember to have made in the post
    Disintegration On National Integration Desideratum

3. Thanks for citing this author which had transported me to the hilarious time That i had in 1977-78 in the Capitol.

Regards.

9. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

10. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

The best quote I liked was that we have to find new ways to anchor ourselves be it as a citizen,or a part of the community,family or profession. Could we have imagined that work plces will have food courts with the choicest of cuisines.He also said that people in the future will nor suffer from want of choice but from an unlimited horizon of choice.
    I enjoyed Amulets suggestion to heat up the Rasam. for the maids.Unfortunately the Bihari girls working in our house dont take rice and rasam but they enjoy only Sambar.Adding insult to injury they say that in their area rice is fed only to sick people.Everytime I take rice,I am tempted to check my temperature with a thermometer.
    SLN

Thyagarajan likes this.