Maharashtrian Dishes

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by Vandhana, May 3, 2006.

1. shivangi B

shivangi B New IL'ite

Hello Geeta u want to know how to make thecha
    Here you go..
    Ingradient=green chilly 8-9,dried coconut,cumin seed,garlic,peanuts,oil 2tp
    Method-Take 2 tp oil in pan(iron kadai).Fry everything except coconut.When all ingredient will fry evenly then add coconut.Put all this mixture in grinder and grind but dont make thin paste .
    Eat this with bhakari (jowar or bajara)

2. Saayli

Saayli New IL'ite

Hello Friends,

Im Saayli, born in India, Raised in New Jersey but now back to my land mumbai. Anyways, Vandana I really appreciate u putting all these efforts and time into posting recipes, I think thats real helpfull. But do wanna say, That typical Marathi Subji involving capsicum and besan is a bit different from what u mentioned. I am not saying urs is wrong, but typically, its Not made this way. Im a maharastrian and have been eating pure brahmin food all my life. Love my moms cooking, She makes such amazing fusion dishes as well. Wish she had the time to post recipes here, you guys wouldve been bowled over. Well back to My Main Discussion.

Capsicum and Besan subji is usually made, By mixing dry besan with masalas. Wash capsicum and scoop out all the flesh from it, making it hollow, in order to fill in the besan. Its usually then boiled by steaming it and then lightly fried before serving. THAT TASTES SO YUMMY.

Sorry i am not able to give you exact recipe yet, dont have the exact measurements and stuff. I will post it here for sure. Other recipes i can think of are,

1. Kandyachi Pith Perleli Bhaji (Onion and Besan filled Vegetable)
    2. Puran Poli (Indian Pancakes filled with sweet Puran (Chana Dal)
    3. Sanjori (Jaggery mixed with roti Sweet)
    4. Til Gul Ladoo. (Sesame Seeds balls SWEET) Most Amazing and Mouth Watering. Never forget to eat it during sankranti.
    5. Alu Wadi. Sorry dont know whats Alu Leaves in English
    6. Modak. cocunut and dry fruit filled modak. My favorite again. Eat during Ganpati.
    7. Palak and Shepu Patal Subji (Its in liquid form like Kadhi)
    8. Misal (Sprouts, Beans, black Chana (Optional), Yoghurt, Farsan). Mostly eaten with indian pav. Just Awsum. Any of you ever come to mumbai dont forget to try it.
    9. Bharli Wangi. Baingan/zucchini filled with indian spices/coconut. UMMMM Yum
    10. Waran/Amti Bhaat. Basically this is Dal rice. But the Dal is cooked totally different. Amti is on the tangier side and has tadka in it. Waran does not its on a sweeter side.
    11. Kanda Pohe. Gosh how did u guys ever forget to mention this? Pohe is like the basic breakfast, Healthiest and lightest item.
    12. Laspi/Daliya. Whats different about this daliya? Well, You all know the porridge style. We basically make it in Phodni or Spices just like poha.
    13. Masale Bhaat. I cant resist this one, i am actually a non rice eater. But when there is masale bhaat ummmm i cant stand the temptation. I hog on this.
    14. Wangyacha Bharit/Baingan Bharta. But we dont make it north indian style. We dont cook it in oil, mustard seeds or too many spices. We make it more like a cold salad. By adding raw onions, tomatoes, some chilli, Salt, Gram Powder, Red chilli and grounded peanuts (powder).
    15. Aalive Ladoo. I dont know wats aalive called in English. They are small red seeds which are soaked in water, and then made in a mixture along with cocnut & jaggery. They are great for Pregnant ladies, Females weak on energy levels and many other problems. They have medicinal value.
    16. Thin Poha Chivda. A Marathi Specialty. Usually made During Diwali or any festive occasions. This chivda has, thin poha, peanuts, coconut, chilli, mustard seeds etc.... It can be made sweet, non sweet, sweet and salty.
    17. Mashed Potato Subji and Puri. Basically boil potatoes, mash and cook them like a suji, using basic spices, no veggies. Eat it hot with puri.

Huh i am kinda tired of typing. If anybody would like ta post the above mentioned recipes then pls do. If you want me to post anything, request me anything from above and it will be posted. For now. Ciao.

3. Saayli

Saayli New IL'ite

Re: CapsicumBesan Subji.

Hello Friends,

Im Saayli, born in India, Raised in New Jersey but now back to my land mumbai. Anyways, Vandana I really appreciate u putting all these efforts and time into posting recipes, I think thats real helpfull. But do wanna say, That typical Marathi Subji involving capsicum and besan is a bit different from what u mentioned. I am not saying urs is wrong, but typically, its Not made this way. Im a maharastrian and have been eating pure brahmin food all my life. Love my moms cooking, She makes such amazing fusion dishes as well. Wish she had the time to post recipes here, you guys wouldve been bowled over. Well back to My Main Discussion.

Capsicum and Besan subji is usually made, By mixing dry besan with masalas. Wash capsicum and scoop out all the flesh from it, making it hollow, in order to fill in the besan. Its usually then boiled by steaming it and then lightly fried before serving. THAT TASTES SO YUMMY.

Sorry i am not able to give you exact recipe yet, dont have the esact measurements and stuff. I will post it here for sure. Other recipes i can think of are,

1. Kandyachi Pith Perleli Bhaji (Onion and Besan Vegetable)
    2. Puran Poli (Indian Pancakes filled with sweet Puran (Chana Dal)
    3. Sanjori (Jaggery and Atta roti)
    4. Til Gul Ladoo. (Sesame Seeds balls SWEET) Most Amazing and Mouth Watering
    5. Alu Wadi. Sorry dont know whats Alu Leaves in English
    6. Modak. cocunut and dry fruit filled modak. My favorite again
    7. Palak and Shepu Subji (Its in liquid form like Kadhi)
    8. Misal (Sprouts, Beans, Chana (Optional), Yoghurt, Farsan. Mostly eaten with indian pav. Just Awsum. Any of you ever come to mumbai dont forget to try it.
    9. Bharli Wangi. Baingan/zucchini filled with indian spices. UMMMM Yum
    10. Waran/Amti Bhaat. Basically this is Dal rice. But the Dal is cooked totally different. Amti is on the tangier side and has tadka in it. Waran does not its on a sweeter side.
    11. Kanda Pohe. Gosh how did u guys ever forget to mention this? Pohe is like the basic breakfast, Healthiest and lightest item.
    12. Laspi/Daliya. Whats different about this daliya? Well, You all know the porridge style. We basically make it in Phodni or Spices just like poha.
    13. Masale Bhaat. I cant resist this one, i am actually a non rice eater. But when there is masale bhaat ummmm i cant stand the temptation. I hog on this.
    14. Wangyacha Bharit/Baingan Bharta. But we dont make it north indian style. We dont cook it in oil, mustard seeds or too many spices. We make it more like a cold salad. By adding ray onions, tomatoes, some chilli, Salt, Gram Powder, Red chilli and grounded peanuts.
    15. Aalive Ladoo. I dont know wats aalive called in English. They are small red seeds which are soaked in water, and then made in a mixture along with cocnut & jaggery. They are great for Pregnant ladies, Females weak on energy levels and many other problems. They have medicinal value.
    16. Thin Poha Chivda. A Marathi Specialty. Usually made During Diwali or any festive occasions. This chivda has, thin poha, peanuts, coconut, chilli, mustard seeds etc.... It can be made sweet, non sweet, sweet and salty.
    17. Mashed Potato Subji and Puri. Basically boil potatoes, mash and cook them like a suji, using basic spices, no veggies. Eat it hot with puri.

Huh i am kinda tired of typing. If anybody would like ta post the above mentioned recipes then pls. If you want me to post anything, request me anything from above and it will be posted. For now. Ciao.

4. charuchitthra

charuchitthra Bronze IL'ite

Hi Saayli,

I hope u dont mind me saying this. If u could post these recipes one by one rather than just the names it would surely benefit all of us. Because many like me might be southindian and dont have a clue as to how tasty this would be. so if u post the ercipe people ll try tht and give u the feedbacks which would be far beneficial.

Thank u.

Regards,
    CC

5. Saayli

Saayli New IL'ite

Hi Charuchitra,

Ummm I will Surely post the recipes one by one for you and others on this forum. Lets Start With Kande Pohe (Rice flakes with onion) and Varan Bhaat (Sweet Dal a marathi specialty).

Kande Pohe.
    2 Cup Pohe (Flat Rice Flakes)
    1 Cup Onion
    2/4 Chillies chopped (use according to your taste).
    kadhi patta (curry leaves)
    coconut grates (to taste)
    1tsp, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, turmeric, red chilli powder (not too much), dhania and jeera powder (Coriander and cumin powder).
    1tsp/1.1/2 salt to taste. (Please Dont use this measurement only as some ppl like it more salty and some like it less).

Take the 2 cups poha soak it in water for 5 mins. Drain the water and keep them aside.
    Take 3 tsp oil (More or less is your choice) in a kadhai, put mustard seeds, cumin seeds in heated oil. They should crackle. Put onion and stir fry it till its light brown then put chillies, and let em cook till they both look brownish in color. Then Put, Turmeric, chilli powder and dhania and jeera powder and add salt in the masala(dont add salt after adding poha as the salt will not blend with the poha that well). Stir it for 2 seconds. By now the poha must be soft and puffy. Put the poha and mix it very well. After all the masala has mixed in the poha, let it cook (By putting a Lid on the kadhai for 4/5 mins max). After the poha has been cooked, put grated coconut and chopped coriander to garnish.

Varan Bhaat

2 cups Toovar Dal
    1tsp Turmeric powder, half tsp chilli powder (If want spicy), salt to taste, And Jaggery (2/3tsp minced by hand)

Cook dal in the pressure cooker normally add turmeric to the dal before putting it the cooker. After the dal is cooked, then add Jaggery, salt and coriander. You may add some coriander to garnish. Eat hot with Rice.

6. charuchitthra

charuchitthra Bronze IL'ite

Dear Saayli,

Thank u for posting recipes on my request. I ll try poha for breakfast tommorrow n give u the feedbacks. If u can please post pics of teh finished product as it ll give an idea to how it must look. U can eevn post teh pics in virtual feast thread under miscellaneous recipes n give the links here. tht might bring more poeple here to try ur recipes. Thank u.

Regards,
    Cc

7. Anu1205

Anu1205 New IL'ite

Hi

yes i too have a lot of varities from Goa preapred by using coconuts

Regards

8. latharaj

latharaj Gold IL'ite

good attempt vandhana....I will try to post few recipies ...espy made out of coconut.

9. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Thank you Shireesha for the recipe. I always wondered what they added to give it a bit sour taste. I thought it was Amchur powder. And i tried it with amchur.. came out so so.. i wil definitely give a try to your version.!

Gayathri

10. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Poha Chivda

Ingredients

Patal Poha (thin poha) - 3 cups
    Groundnuts - 2 tsps
    Khobra (Dried coconut) - thinly sliced - 2 tsps
    Mustard
    Sesame (optional)
    Curry leaves (optional)
    Green chillies - chopped
    Turmeric powder
    Salt - to taste
    Sugar - to taste
    Oil - 2 tblsps

1. Add the poha to a kadai and dry roast it on low flame. Keep stirring as it tends to burn from below. Roast until it start to become crisp. Keep it aside to cool.

2. In the kadai add oil and fry the groundnuts and Khobra till brown. Remove them and keep aside.

3. In the same oil, splutter the mustard seeds and add the green chillies.

4. When done, add all the ingredients together and keep stirring continuously till everything mixes well. Let it cool and its ready to eat.

Best had as snacks during tea-time