Maharashtrian Dishes

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by Vandhana, May 3, 2006.

1. Imblessed

Imblessed Bronze IL'ite

HI Soumya,
    Amti is very easy. There are many ways of doing amti. Cook Toor dal in cooker. The consistency of Dal should be such that, you should be able to make it a bit watery by adding turmeric and asfotedia in it, without adding much water. In a pan heat oil, add jeera, mustard seeds, if you want curry leaves, a bit of garam (which is called goda masala in Marathi) masala. After that you can add the dal which has turmeric and hing in the tempering. add water to make it in a good form. After this you can add chili powder, salt. And let it boil for a few minutes, then add jaggery. After sometime, turn gas on sim, and cover it. Again after 3-5 mins turn it off and let be covered till the time you are ready to eat it.
    If you add some veggies, like tomatoes, sometimes, methi, it becomes Amti. If you do not add anything but just the spices, it becomes, fodanicha varan. You can add Amsul in it which gives a very different taste. Whenever you add anything that is sour, Amsul, tomato, you have to add more jagery to make it less sour. While adding any veggies in the temepering, cover it and let it cook for a few mins. That gives its taste.

2. Imblessed

Imblessed Bronze IL'ite

I do not know the exact word for Amsul in English, but I think it is also called kokum.
    The other thing is you can also add, tamarind in Amti, which again serves the purpose of Amsul.

3. simply_doubtful

simply_doubtful Gold IL'ite

I think amsul means amchur. which is dry mango powder.

4. Imblessed

Imblessed Bronze IL'ite

Actually the one that I am referring to is not the Amchur powder. Amchur powder is not used in Amti. Amsul is dried Kokam. This is the actual photo that I got on net when I searched Amsul. It is sour in taste. it is very helpful for acidity. If you boil water with this and drink that water, it is the best solution for acidity.

Amsul.jpg

1 person likes this.
  5. preetam

preetam Junior IL'ite

Thanks all for writing detailed recipe methods here

6. ventair

ventair New IL'ite

I am keen to know more about popular maharashtrian dishes since i am not quite aware of the favorite foods of that region except vada paw

7. Armaity25

Armaity25 Silver IL'ite

Hello everyone.Here's a simple recipe for Dadpe Pohe.Hope you will like it.
    Dadpe Pohe
    In a bowl add finely chopped onions,finely chopped tomatoes,salt,sugar,red chilli powder and lemon juice and mix well.Add thin poha and mix well.In a pan heat a little oil.Add mustard seeds and once they splutter add asafoetida,,chopped green chillies,chopped curry leaves,2-3 tsp of peanuts and fry it for some time.Take care not to burn the tempering and keep the flame low.Add this to the poha and mix well.Tastes yum.Traditionally fried papad is crushed and used as garnish but I skip it usually.

8. Armaity25

Armaity25 Silver IL'ite

And here is Amboli recipe.We've prepared it at home many a times before but had forgotten the proportion since it wasn't cooked lately.Then a few days back came across this recipe and the proportion worked quite well.Its basically a dosa had with chicken or fish or masala gravies.Tastes equally good with chutney.

Ingredients:-
    3 cup Rice
    1/2 cup Chana dal
    1/2 cup Urad dal
    1/4 cup Wheat
    3 tsp Fenugreek seeds
    Sour Buttermilk
    Salt
    1/2- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
    1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
    2 tbsp Crushed garlic
    Method:-
    -Soak rice,both the dals,fenugreek seeds and wheat for 5-6 hours.
    -Then grind everything together in batches till you get a fine consistency.
    -Then for every 3 cup of mixture add 1/2 cup of sour buttermilk and water and mix well.
    -Let it ferment for 5-6 hours.
    -Add salt,turmeric,red chilli powder and garlic and mix well.
    -Make dosas as usual.Usually Amboli is slightly thick but you can make it as per your preference.

9. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Nice thread...full maharashtrian cuisine explained with a lot of simplicity. Being from Kolhapur myself, these flavours have indeed become a part of my palate.

Dearies, with Diwali nearing, my sis-in-law wants to make karanji.
    Can anyone post the recipe of the karanji saran ....ie the filling?

Thanks

1 person likes this.
  10. Armaity25

Armaity25 Silver IL'ite

Hey dear.Here is a recipe for the filling of olya naralachi or fresh coconut karanji.This proportion works well at our place.If you want you can add or reduce the amount of jaggery.
    Mix 1 cup of coconut and 1/2 cup of jaggery and cook well till it blends well.Turn off the gas and add cardamom powder.If you want you can add dry fruits too.
    This filling can also be made using dried grated coconut and dryfruits or some even use semolina for the filling.The one mentioned above is most commonly made at our place.

2 people like this.