Madurai Members - Introduce yourselves here!

Discussion in 'Madurai' started by Induslady, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Please click "Post Reply" button below to introduce yourself. Please be as detailed as possible. Some of the things that you might include in your introductions are:
    • Information about your family - parents, husband, children etc.
    • Where are you from and where do you currently live
    • Your education, job etc.
    • Your upbringing and your life so far
    • Your hobbies and interests
    • Your likes and dislikes
    • What you like about Indusladies community
    Please see below for some sample introductions.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1349&postcount=6
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1731&postcount=13
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1760&postcount=14
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1935&postcount=21
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3134&postcount=34
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22572&postcount=162

Happy sharing!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

This is all about me, Chitvish !

I take the lead over others in introducing myself in this forum, since I am the senior most ( in age, can't help mentioning it, inspite of my U turn process) Maduraite, though V R scores over me as a senior member in this forum. He has already reached 28 - I am approaching that age backwards, hurriedly !

I was born and brought up in Madurai. I am a student of St Joseph's Convent and later, the famous American College ( V R has mentioned about it in the other thread). I completed my B.Sc in Chemistry and worked as a lecturer in Fatima College for 2 years.

I shifted to Chennai after marriage, but my attachment to my native town, is unbelievably strong and deep rooted. Madurai does not have any "modern frills" that metro cities have and I personally feel, that is why my place has retained the special old fashioned charm. You can still see girls in "pavadai davani" and the annual event of the Chithirai exhibition in Tamkum grounds is heavily crowded on all days, since it provides an enjoyable outing to Maduraikara.

Thee are more "thooya tamil" names, even for the shops. The slang of Madurai is really music to me . One has to learn from there, talking respectfully - “ Vangammaa, aamangammaa, charingamma, panniralaamungamma” . Some other typical terms are - gundakka mandakka, ingittu angittu, ekku thappa etc to mention a few.

All non-resident Maduraites, let us all meet here regularly and re-energise ourselves with "our town" talks.

Since you are all having enough and more of me in most of the forums, I am not writing anything more about myself, as a person.

The freedom we have, to express ourselves so enjoyably and naturally, is what I like best in Indusladies community. This forum connects Madurai to Madison on all issues that are of interest to us.

Well, friends, wishing I L a great future is , to me, like blessing ourselves !

Love & regards,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  3. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Madurai or Singapore?

Hi friends

I follow Chitra mam in introducing myself(I was confused whether to put my entry in the Madurai or Singapore thread and obviously Madurai got my major attention and I will intro myself here first.

I am Vijee.(Do I need to mention my age?!. I always choose to forget it!)
    Reading is my hobby. I love to travel and see new places.(I wish to see all the continents and experience the life there. ) Sewing is my part time hobby(It started with the expensive stitching charge for Churidar in Singapore S$40 - 50)
    Although my schooling is in VNR, all the festivals holidays are spent in Madurai with my other extended families/cousins.
    Definitely returning back to Madurai. (And until then dreaming about the life there!)

Cheers:wave
    Vijee

Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  4. Surya

Surya Senior IL'ite

hi,

Iam kodeswari. I was born and brought up in madurai. we live in Jaihindpuram. Iam a T.V.S. school student. I have a masters in Computer science from Madurai Kamaraj University. Before marriage I was working as a lecturer for 11/2 years in S.V.N. college, Madurai.

After marriage i was in chennai for 3 years. now iam here in US for 2 years. Iam interested in painting and pencil drawing and i love to cook.

I want to share one more thing about my friends. Charulatha and Sripriya are my close friends. From the age of 10(6th standard) we are friends. so for 18 years we are continuing our relationship though we are in different places. even now, once in a month we call and have our usual aratai.

....lot to share. we can meet regularly here and share our madurai days.

regards,
    kodi.

5. savideva

savideva New IL'ite

Hi friends,
    This is the umpteenth time I am sitting down to intro. myself. The reason is my grandson who must play one of his several interesting(to him of course!) games whenever I am at the computer.!!I am a chennaite by birth; did my schooling and my college education in "singara Chennai" and became a Maduraite after marriage. Completed my graduation and post graduation in the regal, good old "queen Mary's college. Lived in UK for a few years, where my husband got his P.G. degree. Since our return from UK we settled down in Madurai where My Parents-in-law lived.
    I am now a true , pucca Maduraite. I love this city known lovingly as "the glorified village" because of the prevalent culture ,the people and the place itself which can be called neither a city nor a village!? Whether one is a teenager , middle aged or a senior citizen she is very affectionately called "Akka" by all the shop keepers including Jewellers and fruit and vegetable vendors. The akka is repeated several times- like at the end of each sentence. well, what a contrast to a big metro like Chennai!
    The other nice thing about Madurai is , we still do not have big traffic jams but we do have impassable small sandu pondus. Madurai is so centrally located we can reach within 3 hours many intereting places like Kanyakumari, Rameswaram, Chettinad, Tirunelveli, Thekkadi and Kodaikanal to mention a few places. Thanks to the Golden Fourway roads, the journey is a cinch now.
    The world famous Meenakshi AmmanTemple and the shopping around is so enticing. The picturesque grand Mahal is really something not to be missed; of course you all must have seen it in so many Tamil movies.
    The numerous so called "Mess" are a gift to the conniseurs! The ambience is so simple but the delicious food they serve is something out of this world, they say.You see, they serve nonveg. only and I am a pure veg! Of course there are other small hotels that serve good veg food also. The city is famous for it's night Parotta stalls, where people have a good go after watching the ( 9 O' clock show). Maduraites who live elsewhere, never miss The "jigar danda" while on a visit.
    I have to stop now, as my grandson is urging me to close now - he wants to play his Yahooligans!
    Savideva:wave

6. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Savideva,
    You made my day "Madurai Day" with your post.
    I am the reverse case of "transplantation", if I can say so !
    I was born & brought up in "Ezil miku, sanga thamizum Meenakshiyum kOlOchchum Madurai" & shifted to (the so called?) Singara Chennai. But I am proud to say that my roots are still very much in Madurai.
    There is a good veg mess - Sriram Mess in Dhanappa mudali street, in typical Madurai style of tables & benches.
    Also have you gone to Rajendra in Kakathope Street ? Have a "go" there with ghee idli-sambar, adai-avial & cutting coffee. Heaven will be at your feet !!
    So what, if Madurai is full of sandu-pondu ? You do not need a vehicle ! The charm of Madurai lies in its old fashioned, traditional, conservative & last but not least "unpolluted" living.
    Love from one native Maduraikari to an adopted Maduraikari.
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. savideva

savideva New IL'ite

Dear Chitvish,
    Well you made my day with your prompt reply and suggestions for good eating places. I shall try the Kaka thoppu Rajendra. I agree with you that the charm of Madurai lies in the old fashioned, traditional, conservative - OK so far but not unpolluted - living, anymore. You must see the canals with dirty water freely sprinkled with polythene bags . But as you have mentioned the charm of temple festivals, chithirai thiruvizha, alagar atru vaibavam, the exhibition are all unique only to Mdu. And the one and only Pudumandapam thronged by one and all including the foreigners ; has something for all. THE FOREIGNERS BUY THE MATERIAL - SO CHEAP AND TO THEIR TASTE - get it stitched within 24 hrs. and are extremely happy with the results.
    Your words of appreciation are a big motivation for me; thanks.
    Savideva:mrgreen:

8. Mathangi

Mathangi New IL'ite

Hi all,

I am Mathangi,born and borught up in Madurai. I am not a typical forum person but when I saw a Madurai forum, couldn't resist the temptation to join!
    I studied in TVS Lakshmi thorughout my school years, cannot forget the 73A bus days! I live in the US now with my husband and baby.

I am an ardent devotee of goddess Meenakshi and never misses an oppurtunity to visit the temple. Infact my mom used to say I was named after the goddess as she used to get dreams abt the Goddess after I was born and when they were looking for names.

Who can forget the famous Madurai gundu malli poo!! There has never been a moment when I have not missed it. These are big time favorites with me and my sis during the summer days.
    My parents live there now and whenever I see the board 'Welcome to Madurai' at the railway station or at the airport, there is an unexplainable joy from the bottom of the heart!

Am sure I am of those proud people to belong to Madurai and am happy that this forum is guided by elderly people. And am sure I will enjoy our Madurai times together!

-Mathangi

9. manjunat

manjunat New IL'ite

Hi All
    I am manju, who became chennaivasi after my marriage... till then i was a maduraikari. student of st.joseph's girls high school & fatima college.
    Though i have become a chennaivasi...manathalavil naan innum maduraikari thaan!
    whenever i see or hear the name madurai... manadhil oru inam puriyatha santhosham,kudhugalam... ithai vaarthaigalal vivarikka mudiyadhu.
    :2thumbsup:

10. savideva

savideva New IL'ite

Hi Manathalavil Maduraikari Manju!
    Welcome to the Madurai subforum! There are many Maduraites living elsewhere in our madurai subforum And I am very happy to see so many posts.
    I became a Maduraite after my marriage. I was introduced to my dear and wonderful friend in (and from) Madurai, the very next day after my wedding. She is a true and sincere friend. She is my friend; philosopher and guide!!! It is a great boon to have a good friend .
    Madurai is slowly getting modern; we have restaurants like Cafe Coffee Day, the famous Amaravathi, GRT Grand to mention a few. Of course there is the Good old Pandian Hotel and one more addition in the recent years - The popular Sangam Hotel!! We also have fast food joints like The Tornado and Chitchat .
    Now we have so many exhibition cum sale of sarees and salwars, handicrafts; furniture, jewellery etc from Kashmir to Kanyakumari , throughout the year. These are a good source of income to many a wedding halls, during off-season.
    There are somany small and interesting historical sites like the jain caves etc in and around Madurai. If you havre the interst and time, you can spend weeks sight seeing!
    I think I've said most of the things I wanted to say abt. Mdu. So it is a :goodidea: to say Bye for now!
    Savideva