1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Madras that is Chennai Now.....

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ShailRaghuvansh, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Magee

Magee Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi!

Nice write up!, Me too chennaites, though my native is thirnelvelli, i bought up in chennai.
    some 15 years back, we use to play in the roads, what we now call as ECR, there will be only two buses flying there 19 and 19cross, no share autos, full of trees in both the side of road, no traffic, no pollution, we enjoyed here like a heaven. I love to recollect those memories of my childhood. Thanks for sharing

1 person likes this.
  2. ShailRaghuvansh

ShailRaghuvansh Silver IL'ite

Hi Magee,

Glad you liked my write-up on Chennai. Chennai is like that only. Brings back lots of sweet memories.

3. ShailRaghuvansh

Hi Steve,

Every city has its ups and downs. Many non Tamil speaking people sometimes don't take the trouble to gel with the people and the place that's why the initial hiccups.

4. ShailRaghuvansh

Hi Shambavi,

Will definitely do. Thanks. Keep in touch.

5. ShailRaghuvansh

Hi Saisakthi,

Glad you liked the article on Chennai.

Yes, nothing like Chennai!!

6. ShailRaghuvansh

Dear Suryakala,

Thanks. I am glad you liked the article on Chennai. It is because of people who wish to give back to the city what it has given them (joy) that the city becomes more lovely...
    My pleasure...

1 person likes this.
  7. freddycat

freddycat Platinum IL'ite

2 people like this.
  8. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shail,
    Your snippet brought back nostalgic memories of my stay in Chennai in the late 50s.There used to be a long queue in the Saidoji mess in triplicane for Morkozhambu and Urulai karakari.We were not allowed to talk while eating and we had to take the leaf and put it in the dust bin.We were prepared for all this to enjoy and roll over the culinary bliss for the next one week.The last week of the month saw us enjoying every piece of boiled groundnut in the Marina beach.Roads were free and we saved the bus fare and indulged ourselves to kumbakonam degree coffee.Traditionally dressed girls with bundles of jasmine in their hair made youngsters devotees of Ambal during Navarathri.I can go on and on and my Fb will become longer than your snippet.Two land marks we will miss is Hotel Dasaprakash[sold to a builder] and drive in Woodlands restaurant[near Stella mary's college]where a million hearts beat faster during coffee time every evening.
    Thanks for transporting me to those wonderful years.
    LAKSHIMINARAYANAN

3 people like this.
  9. ShailRaghuvansh

Dear Lakshminarayan,

A pleasure to read your comment. My husband says that he was a regular at Sydoji and Kasi Vinayaka. Sydoji Mess is not there anymore. But, Kasi Vinayaka still functions. My husband still remembers one Bharani Mess and Neo Indira Bhavan. But, he says Sydoji was the best in terms of clean food despite restrictions! So, there you go. Another fan of the place and I am sure there are innumerable others too. Chennai does this to people.