1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Madras Baashai

Discussion in 'Posts in Regional Languages' started by jayasala42, May 25, 2014.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

மதராசை 'பட்டினம்'என்று சொல்வதுதான் எங்கள் ஊர் வழக்கம்.
    பட்டணம் தான் போகலாமடி,பொம்பளே,பணம் காசு சேக்கலாமடி
    என்ற பாட்டு தான் முதலில் நினைவுக்கு வருகிறது.எல்லா மாநிலங்களிலிருந்தும் பிழைப்புத தேடி
    வந்தவர்கள் பலர்.
    மெட்ராஸ் என்றாலே எக்மோர் ஸ்டேஷன் ,அதன் வாசலில் நின்று கொண்டிருந்த கை ரிக்ஷாக்கள் ,அவர்களது தனி பாஷை தான் மனதில் நிற்கும்.
    முதல் இரண்டு வருடங்கள் எனக்கு ஒன்றுமே புரியவில்லை.நாளாக ஆக,how people adapt themselves to environments,just for survival என்று நன்றாக புரிந்தது. அவர்கள் தமிழுக்கு ஆற்றிய தொண்டு மகத்தானது.மெட்ராஸ் பாஷை என்று புதிய dialect ஐ உருவாக்கிய பெருமை அம்மக்களையே சாரும்.
    சில உதாரணங்கள் :
    இச்சூலு ----------------------------ஸ்கூல்
    (whenever the word starts with s they will add i in the beginning.On the first day of joining RBI,we were sent to Zonal training centre headed by .
    Shri S. N. Bagai.He was talking something about Madras.He narrated a small incident.
    some one among the public asked him' ismailkaan counter enge irukku?"
    Mr. Bagai asked him again and again,The same reply came from the man.
    Mr. Bagai said'to my knowledge there is no Ismail Khan in this bank'managing a counter.
    Another man from the public gave a clue that the man wanted to get coins. Putting two and two, Mr. Bagai was able to make out that the man was referring to 'small coin counter'as 'ismailkhan counter'
    There was a roar of laughter in the class.
    When we observe closely we find that many of the words have been adapted from different languages spoken by people around them with some modified pronunciation.
    1.அசால்டா to take something easy taken from'Aasaan' Hindi
    2.அலேக்கா smoothly From'Azhagaaga'in Tamil
    3 .எகுரு run fast,scold,jump Taken from Telugu
    4. பேமானி who has no ethics or integrity Taken fronm Hindi(be+Emaani)
    5.கேடி criminal police abbreviation for 'Known Delinquent'
    6.கஸ்மாலம் idiot sanskrit word-black hair or dirt
    7,கேனயன் fool malayalam word Kenai for mad
    8 .மசமசா normally fat persons being lazy English --'full of mass'
    9.டக்கரு super nice taken from Telugu
    10.மஜா fun Taken from Urdu 'Mazaa'
    11.வலி pull Vali is actually a chaste tamil word,though normally we use' izhu
    12.ஓபி அடிக்கறது To waste time Taken from 'off-Beat'a military term for'off duty'
    13.நாஷ்டா Tiffin or snacks Urdu word
    14. கொல்டி A word denoting Telugu people Just a reversal of letters te-lu-gu(gu-lu-te)
    15.கெலிச்சான் He won Telugu wordGelupu meaning victory
    16.ஜகா வாங்கறது to escape from the scene Taken from'jagah'-Hindi word meaning'space.Th
    The list is endless. Shri Cho has used many of these words in his dramas.
    தங்களை வாழ வைத்த மதராச பட்டினத்துக்கு மக்கள் அளித்த மா பெரும் பரிசு தன்னிகரில்லாத மதராஸ் பாஷை .என்ன முன்னேற்றம் வந்தாலும் ,நாகரிகம் வளர்ந்தாலும் மதராச பட்டினத்தைத் தனிமைப் படுத்திக் காட்டுவது
    இந்த பாஷை ஒன்றே.வளர்க இம்மொழி.

Jayasala 42

3 people like this.

2. Angellic

Angellic IL Hall of Fame

:biglaugh

Good read ma'am.I heard all those words only in movies. Unfortunately couldn't come across much of madras baashai.

But once my cousin visited my place and he and my bro were having conversation about Engineering studies in Mumbai vs Chennai. When they were talking about paper correction, my cousin said "anga yella mokka correction da, so scoring abt 80 yella romba easy...

I donno what exactly they mean by the term
    mokka (I thought it means Not so good as in some movies i heard the term mokka figure'ru. Well, i guess depending upon the sentence, its the meaning changes) but here in this sentence it means that they have lenient checking over there...

Another word that i came across is pottukichu..Two years back, I visited my aunt's place in Chennai. Its so happened that my cousin who usually reach home by 8, came at 10. When my uncle asked him the reason he said varra valila car tire pottukichu pa...(Here the meaning was quite easily guessable pottukichu ~ broken down)

Even now we make fun of them using these words...