Lower back and leg cramps during early pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Krishnasai, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Krishnasai

Krishnasai New IL'ite

Leg cramps during 5th week of pregnancy

Hi All,

Please tell me ,if anyone had Leg cramps in 5th week of pregnancy? Is it normal? I am really scared about this. I also want to know what kind of foods to avoid for first trimister? What to do when you get leg cramps?

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Re: Leg cramps during 5th week of pregnancy

one common reason for leg cramps during pregnancy is magnesium deficiency. Your gyn is the best person to give you a remedy for this and also to find out if you need any other medication. But getting leg cramps has been my case too in both pregnancies. Latha

3. Krishnasai

Krishnasai New IL'ite

Thanks for the reply,Latha .

4. Jlatch

Jlatch New IL'ite

Due to hormonal changes in pregnancies, cramps & joint pains are common for quite a few. Doctors should be advising for calcium & vitamin tablets... however it is not advisable to take any pain killers... even doctors won't recommend this... Hot water massage wld be the home remedy that u can opt for....

You cld also avoid veg like - potato, vazhakai & all kizhangus. Personally had experienced joint pains during pre & post pregnancy.

Hope this helps.

Jlatch

5. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

There is no supportive evidence from any research that helps all pregnant women with leg cramps. For some calcium supplements help, for some its potassium while for others its magnesium. But there are many for whom nothing makes a dent in it. This is normal and it occurs due to the changes in blood flow to your legs. Most often lying on either side and minimising lying on your back helps. Eating bananas help some people. Staying active and walking and doing regular leg exercises and stretches as advocated by your ob/gyn also helps minimise its occurence. Warm compresses definitely increases blood flow and relieves it. Once you begin to feel the start of the cramp, standing up and moving your legs as though you are walking in the same place also relieves it. Also try to bring your toes towards the knee (flex) instead of opening your toes outwards from your body (extend) - this almost always reduces the intensity and duration of the cramps if you do it as soon as you feel it.

-L.

6. priyanka

priyanka Junior IL'ite

Hi

I didnot understand these names...vazhakai & all kizhangus.Could you please give a English or hindi name for these Veggies.
    Thanks
    Priyanka

7. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Vazhaikai = green banana used for cooking
    kizhangu = tubers = potato, carrots, yams etc

But tuberous veggies do not have any connection with leg cramps. They have simple sugars and have to be limited only if you have gestational diabetes.

-L.

8. sayoni

sayoni New IL'ite

I have just started my 6th week of pregnancy. Today I started having severe leg, hips and buttock pains. I know that once our belly and uterus grow big we can have leg pains . Is this normal to have these pains in such an early time?Once i lie down pain goes after sometime but if i stand up and walk for sometime pain again returns. I am worried about this because i had two miscarriages before. I am afraid whether this is a bad sign. But i dont feel any abdominal cramps. I am also having many fever like symptoms.

Did you have such pains in your early pregnancy? Pls give me a reply...

9. september

september Bronze IL'ite

for my early pregnancy cramps doctor had prescribed me Vitamin E capsules , and it definitely did help me .