Low Cal Layered Triangle Paratha

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by shivachoubey, Jun 30, 2010.

1. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Nothing beats a cosy breakfast, when you sit in the kitchen and hot parathas are served to you on your plate. My mom would knead the dough in oil and then to form layers inside the paratha she would again apply oil and would then fry the parathas in oil. Heavenly.

The best way to enjoy these parathas were with mango pickle. Nothing beats a breakfast of triangle paratha, mango pickle and a hot cup of tea.

But a weight loss diet does not allow that much oil. 1 paratha has enough oil to make 1 full vegetable dish.

I had tried the less oil version and they used to come out hard or the layers won't form properly.

Then few days back I read on net that if we knead the dough in curd the parathas will turn out soft. I tried and violla, soft layered triangle parathas. Yumm and heavenly without much oil.

Ingredients:

1. 1 cup wheat flour.

2. Curd

3. 1 tsp oil for 3 to 4 parathas or As many as you can make.

4. Salt to taste

Procedure

1. Wheat flour and salt is mixed together and the dough is kneaded in the same way
    as we knead the roti dough.

The trick here is to add little curd and then knead, then again add little curd. Keep doing till you get a ball of dough which is soft and non sticky. Its better to add little curd and knead rather than adding lots of curd at one go. Softer the dough the better it is.

2. Always take out 1 tsp of oil in a katori and keep aside. This will give you a proper measure of how much oil has gone in how many parathas.

3. Now, take a small ball of dough in your hand and roll in a round.

4. Drop 5 - 6 drops of oil all over the round and spread.

[​IMG]
    5. Fold the round and drop 2 drops of oil and spread.

[​IMG]

6. Now fold again to make a triangle.

[​IMG]

7. Nicely dust the triangle with the flour. Now roll the triangle.

[​IMG]

8. Now grill on a pan. Make sure not to over cook. Flip when one side is cooked lightly.

View attachment 130093

Take little oil. I just dip the spoon in the oil and then take it out. There is no oil in the spoon but the spoon is coated with oil. I use this back of the spoon and run on both side.

If you are not comfortable doing this. Then just drop few drops of oil on both sides of the paratha and spread.

9. Cook the paratha well.

10. You can break the paratha to see the layers.

View attachment 130094

I can make 3 - 4 paratha with 1 tsp of oil which is good for 2 of us.

Soft, tasty and yum.

knead your dough in curd to make soft roties. And if you keep the dough in fridge it won't discolor.

Enjoy

2. libra4164

libra4164 Silver IL'ite

Hi Shiva,
    Excellent idea to make rotis with yogurt to keep them soft. I make these parathas very often, because we girls ( me and my daughters) prefer roti over rice. So next time I will go easy on the oil and add yogurt.Thank you for all your efforts to keep us on the right track. God bless.

3. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Good gal you are. Keep them coming just the way you are doing it right now. It just saves me from thinking what I need to make tonight for dinner :). I will try it and let you know.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Shiva,

I never use curd when making for myself. when it is for the kids it is full of butter/nutralite....now let me try with curd, i am sure it is going to be yummy. will the dough keep for a few days if it is done with curd??

5. sreenidhishar

sreenidhishar Bronze IL'ite

OMG Shiva, u r a Queen of dietfoods now.( bow ur head,am crowning u Dear.) such awesome recipes and i really appreciate ur efforts Shiva.
    U ROCK!!!!!!!

6. krozwindz

krozwindz Silver IL'ite

SHiva

Do you have bengali friends or relatives? sorry for asking personal questions, but the triangle paratha is very bengali... though the addition of curd is new... just curious...u dont have to ans if u dont want to...

But thanks again for showing the way.. i will try it out next weekend... when b'fasts are usually very heavy...

7. Sobhi

Sobhi Senior IL'ite

Hello Shiva

Good recipe. Will tryout and let you know.
    Forgot to tell this in the blog post. Yesterday i tried your Tomato Oats soup and it turned out yummy.

Thanks
    Shobha

8. Sanjeeta

Sanjeeta New IL'ite

Reminds me of my mom, who often used to make this for us. Now it si mostly chapattis for us, no ghee or oil. Love to have one agai, after visiting here.

9. shivachoubey

I am glad that this trick can be of help to someone. This is how I have started eating the parathas now. I also make them thin to control the wheat intake. It gives me the taste and gives me the satisfaction too.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

Shiva

10. shivachoubey