1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Love reading, Love books AND how are you loving it ?

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Sabitha_K, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

With the changing times the dusty hardbacks and musty smell from the most adorable books are replaced with sleek screens and stylus.

Have you changed your reading habits with time ? Are you still addicted to the touch, smell and feel of books printed on paper and flutter the pages when you read or else navigate with touch screens and boast about the e-collection you store.

Have you joined the band of elite Amazon Kindle and Sony E-reader owners ?

Do share your reading habits here.I still haven't upgraded my reading skills, I am trying to get my groove back by starting to read for pleasure again, hence enjoying the paperback still :-D

2. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

Sabi.. i still like to read books keeping it on my lap,turning the pages..even though the "Srak" sound comes from the e-book while turning the page its not giving the feeling of reading book holding in our hands..i preserve my favorite books like a precious thing..(even i wont allow others to handle it in rough way)..i want my generation to read my collection..they should feel the enjoyment in reading books in paper form..
    i dont feel the life in stories when reading in e format..may sound silly but the ink smell and the binding smell is missing in 'e'..its like watching our child through webcam instead of holding in our hands..:bonk

2 people like this.
  3. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Cindrella, you have expressed it all so beautifully and summarized it so emphatically in one single sentence at the end."Watching our child through webcam" - That is awesome analogy to draw to drive the point home.

Glad to read your perspective.But with the changing times I believe a lot of commuters prefer to carry iPad and Kindle in their bag instead of carrying books when they travel, adapting to the modern times.Well it all comes down to suitability eventually.

Your view was refreshing to read and wonderfully worded to deliver the punch and essence of reading a book, holding in your hand, to savour the storyline by being part of the literary milieu.

Thanks for your comments.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  4. kamatchivalli

kamatchivalli New IL'ite

Yes,I have...
    I am not reading more of fictions anymore...it's non-fiction/history and Wheatley's kind ...... I have yet to find the reason..:hide:
    Yes,I am still addicted to the smell :oops: of paperbacks...

Well said,Cindy...

I do have kindle2 and use my DH's Ipad...but I pretty much use it during travel/office trips....hmm...coming to think of it...I am using it more often than I intended to...:hide:...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  5. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

Yes suja they are very handy during travel and places where we cant carry books and go..like fast foods..paperbacks.. our treditional food sitting at home and having stomach full..:crazy

6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Ladies, even I love the 'feeling' of holding a book while reading it. Clicking or touch screen just does not match. I buy them first hand, not even library. Of late I realized its an expensive hobby but I cant be without them. I carefully dust my books in the shelf at least once a month. Most of my handbags are big because I need to accommodate my books :biglaugh.

7. kamatchivalli

kamatchivalli New IL'ite

I totally agree with you but it comes in handy when I have to travel...:hide:
    Very expensive hobby but it's worth it.:)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  8. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Sabitha:

Just saw this thread and couldn't resist replying:) since I had a similar conversation with a friend of mine recently. I find myself to be very reluctant to try new technology - be it microwave (!!!) or Kindle and I still love the touch and feel of paper.

I do like the idea of downloading e-books but getting to read them - I have not been able to do so far. So paperbacks and hardbound books it is for me:)

Sindhu

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  9. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sabitha..

Though there is advance technology that we get ebook read it through ipad....but for me i like to read book in hand and its really nice when we read a book holding it while in bed or having a hot cup of tea and reading a book while it is raining...we cant get the pleasure through kindle or ipad....

10. mathu903

mathu903 Gold IL'ite

I use my Ipad also for reading but nothing can beat the feel of turning pages of a physical book. Imagine a nice sunny afternoon and you are turning the pages of a thriller with a cold drink and snacks to munch on! Its my definition of Bliss!!