1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Lost Passport

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by haagesummane, Aug 4, 2013.

1. haagesummane

haagesummane Gold IL'ite

Hello to All,

I arrived in toronto 2 weeks back and now I have a CELPIP exam in Mid september. When I was verifying all my documents for that exam, I found that my passport is missing. I searched everywhere and could not find it. When i arrived to my apartment here after the flight, I was so tired that I could not remember about its whereabouts. I checked with airport Lost/Found section and found that they donot have any such passport with my name or number.If it was missing in my apartment,then the staff here would have religiously handed it to me.My only doubt is that it might have dropped from my pocket in the cab which i boarded to reach the apartment.
    I contacted the cab for same, But they didnot found any such thing.

I had Canadian Temporary Resident Visa(TRV) which expired in first July 2013 and I got a renewed TRV which is now valid till 2019. My Passport also has
    US Visitor Visa(till 2022). But I dont have the photocopy of both the Visas. However I have the photocopy of expired Canadian TRV and my passport.
    Additionally I have a Valid Work Permit documents(for more than 1 year and I thank God as the immigration officers here has not stapled it to the passport).
    I would be visiting nearest police station for registering the complaint tomorrow and then visit Indian Embassy for the passport.

My question is
    1) How long it will take for the new passport once i apply in CGI(Consulate General of India) here in Toronto?(Till November I have no Travel Plans to India or anywhere)
    2) What about my visas? Since I dont have the photocopy of both visas, will Canadian and US Embassy be able to get my visas stamped( I guess there will be some nominal fees for it).

Any Inputs on it will be helpful for me

2. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

That's a disturbing situation really but it does happen - don't worry but.

It does take quite some time to get the replacement. They do not give a fixed time frame because they need to verify your status thoroughly - Refer to this link for getting the passport:

CGI-Toronto Passport Services

3. haagesummane

haagesummane Gold IL'ite

Thank you GoogleGlass for the response.
    Yeah I heard that it will take some time, but wanted to know if anyone has been through such situation.

4. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Dear haagesummane ji,

Don't worry, the photocopy of the passport who possessed has saved your skin, that along with the complaint will get you the replacement through CGI, the other visas should also many not be difficult with the copy of the complaint you have lodged,

Best wishes, Take Care, keep this at one corner of the mind and prepare and do you exam well.

May Baba guide you through, Sairam

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  5. haagesummane

haagesummane Gold IL'ite

Thank you saishakti ji for your kind words, yes,photocopy of passport has saved my skin.

btw,referring me as sibling would be more apt than as sister..!!!!!

6. haagesummane

haagesummane Gold IL'ite

Have you noticed that the links under the section(Passport->Lost/Damaged) doesnot work.

http://www.cgitoronto.ca/Passport/passpLost.html

The link names are
    1) Passport application form
    2)Authority to disclose.

I got the first one somehow. Does anyone has any idea on how to get the second one?

7. haagesummane

haagesummane Gold IL'ite

Hello All,

I have finally got new passport from CGI.. A big relief..!!!
    It took exactly 45 days from the date of application till i received the passport.
    I faced lot of issues and had to visit CGI just to know that application is being processed.

8. kn543

kn543 Bronze IL'ite

That is a quick turn around. Congrats! One of friend experienced similar situation but the police were able to track down her old passport. What about the visas.. Did you get those stamped when you received the passport?

9. haagesummane

haagesummane Gold IL'ite

I had to reapply for the visa. Indian consulate will not give the stamped Canadian visa. We need to approach CIC. In Canada, it usually takes longer time to get TRV, but if you apply from India, it will take a max of 10 working days.

Once i get the Canadian Visa, getting US visa is not hard, it is very simple and fast.