1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for job in H4 status : Expert opinions needed

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by indira, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Hi Ashwi,

I live in Troy too.. Glad to know u live around here. Though I dont have any suggestions for u now, I just wanted to say hi.. :) Im near Bigbeaver&Livernois , Where r u staying?

:wave
    Selvi.

2. Ashwi

Ashwi New IL'ite

hi selvi !!!

its nice that u live in troy and good news is we live close by . I live on east big beaver road ( between livernois and rochester ) Where do u live exactly ? R u housewife or working ?

3. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Nice... I'll pm u..
    :)

4. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

It's not boring anymore!

Dear Ashwi,

Not very long ago, I was in the same boat as you are right now. I was very careful not to get into the 'boredom' zone because I know it can lead to even depression for some, although thankfully not to you and to me, thanks to IL :)

You can very well study on H4. I started the same way and now, in a week's time, I am going to be on F-1. I studied on H4 because I wanted to take it lightly at the start by studying slowly while managing home, learning driving, etc. But now that I am confident I can handle all these things together, I've decided to switch to F-1 as it allows you to work and get paid for it. Also, a master's degree here is always going to be helpful in some manner or the other.

Lemme know if you have questions regarding any of these, and I shall be glad to help.

5. deepraman

deepraman New IL'ite

Re: Ways to work as H4

hi
    shud i knw in whih way h4 person can do a job ........
    i'm frm computer background............ if anybody ever has seen any job tht suits me thn plz convey me a mesg........
    thank u..

6. sofiya

sofiya New IL'ite

Re: Ways to work as H4

Hi All!
    Thanx for starting this thread Akalya! :goodidea:

I'm in the same boat as all H4 visa holders...i guess its only very small stores or companies that are willing to employ to pay in cash...and its difficult to find such opportunities..and i've had no luck in tht department...any experiences or any ideas on how to get such jobs by anyone who is working for cash would be greatly appreciated!

7. jayashreerajan

jayashreerajan New IL'ite

Hi All,

As I have already mentioned in my profile, I have been recently married and in Sunnyvale, California.

Since I am on H4 visa, I am not able to work here.I have applied for my H1 this year but not sure whether it will be processed because of the increased applications for H1 quota.

So I am really really getting bored staying at home the whole day.I heard there are some Indian conpanies(Consultancies) which hire people on H4 for a low salary basis.So I would be happy if any of you could sugget me reagrding this.Also I would like to know about the voluntary services which are availavle.

Looking forward for a favourable suggestion.Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Jayashree

8. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

You may wanna check Sulekha on a regular basis to find jobs posted by desi companies. They usually prefer f-1 or h1b candidates but do offer to be flexible with other visa statuses too.

Wish you good luck.

9. jayashreerajan

jayashreerajan New IL'ite

Hi Shal,

Thank you for your suggestion.I will start looking for the jobs in that site.

Also i would like to ask you regarding volunteer services.I have applied for volunteer services in Red Cross and Camino Medical group but i haven't received any responses from them.So i would be happy if i can get any suggestions on this issue.

So as soon as possible i would like to get into any volunteer services or job.

So looking forward for some suggestions in this regard ........

Regards,
    Jayashree.

10. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi Jayashree,

I know its very hard to sit at home idle ..Same case to me too..Iam also desperate to work..But its always good to follow the rules..When our husbands are in H-1b visa,we are supposed to follow the law here ..As per the rule "U can work but do not earn money on H-4visa"..I know that Desi companies do offer jobs,but not sure..

Here is a suggestion for u.. One of my friend does take party orders for indians and cook and give them and upon request she cooks and give takeouts for many working indians...They pay in cash.Most of the indians prefer restuarant food to these takeouts made at home to save money ,less oily food etc...If u r interested in that u could do that.

And the other alternatives are working vountarily in Public libraries.Parallely u can find,read good books and improve ur skills.
    -Hope this helps u,
    -Cheers,
    -Vaishu...