Looking For Easy Indian Meals That Can Be Prepared In College Dorm

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by abc00, Aug 13, 2017.

1. ZenSojourner

ZenSojourner Silver IL'ite

OP is in US so I assume kid is going to US college. We don't have washerwomen any more. There are laundry services, but they are quite expensive on average.

I assume OP's kid is in the dorm. They should have laundry room there, and kitchen facilities as others have mentioned.

I do not suggest taking a microwave. Because I am an old techy, I made sure my son had a UPS for his computer and that he used it. Then his roommate brought in a microwave, plugged it in, turned it on, and KERPOW! SMOKE AND CONFUSION! One burned out microwave, one burned out UPS, one computer saved by the grace of CyberPower.

College dorm rooms are NOT wired for modern microwaves. You really shouldn't even try to hook one up. A small dorm fridge - ok. An instant pot - even that would be OK. But pass on the microwave in the room.

So yeah, having to walk over to the kitchen to use those facilities is a bit of a hassle. It won't kill anyone. My son lived in the dorm for I think his first 2 years and he managed fine, did his dishes there and carried them back to the room. He got himself a plastic tub for a couple bucks at WalMart to carry his dishes back and forth. Not a big deal. They didn't have Instant Pot back then or I'd have got one for him.

All in all, get the kid an Instant Pot, point him to the Instant Pot thread here, maybe a small dorm fridge, locate the nearest Indian Grocery and if there isn't one - send him the address of iShopIndia.com. Trust to his google-fu to fill in any gaps. He (or she) will be fine.

2. arvishamane

arvishamane New IL'ite

Hi... I like the Stuffed Coconut Crepes. It is very easy to make and kids also like this dish. I found this recipe on Nutralite. There are more indian vegetarian recipes available on Nutralite. Try it.....