Looking for a particular baby food

Discussion in 'Shopping & Restaurants' started by mom2ria, Apr 22, 2007.

1. mom2ria

mom2ria New IL'ite

I stay in the US and my friend is going to Chennai this month.
    I am actually looking for the name of the powder(mix of all lentils,pulses soya etc) given for infants.
    It is called Arogya health powder in Kerala and is available in ayurvedic shops there. But I am not sure what is it called in Chennai or can we get the same thing over there.Anyone familiar with this or any similar baby food avaiable in Chennai ,can you please help.
    I would like to tell my friend to bring this while coming back from Inida.
    Thanks
    Vidya

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

I think what you are referring is the usual kanji maavu that is available in all leading stores. there are lot of brands.. if it is for babies, as far as i know the west mambalam health centre sells it as baby food. I do not know if it is available in other centres.
    then the brands - khadi has a brand. there is guha, manna is also there.

but if you dont mind my asking how old is the baby..
    hope this helps.
    Love,
    shanthi

3. mom2ria

mom2ria New IL'ite

Thanks for the response shanti, My daughter is 10 months old .I've been giving her Ragi kanji from 4 months and I was thinking of adding more protien to her diet. I had heard about the heath mix. Anyways I've told my friend about the sathumaavu others suggested on IL. I guess I'll try with that.
    Thanks again.
    Vidya

4. ketal

ketal Bronze IL'ite

hi
    my suggestiun is

• pl.fry to wheat flour for ghee colour with golden add to milk afetr jeeru ,salt and sugar pl.new test you child
    • you can prepare rice pl.add to palak, jeeru ,salt ,ghee very smooth past preapare grind to blander this very testy food for child.
    regdars
    ketal

5. sujakalyan

sujakalyan Silver IL'ite

hi vidya

there is one "manna health mix" this is the best kanji mix, it has ragi, soya, badam, and cardomom is also added to this, babies will surely like this. its available in all supermarkets and groceris, see the date and buy, i think its also exported to USA, CHECK in any tamil groceris of USA

1 person likes this.
  6. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    You can get the kanji mavu in pulses that is also avilable in packets, with the soya, badam, pottu kadalai, ragi and many other ingredients. How i make it is fry all of it with an extra amount of badam and pista as well as omum to keep the kid free of stomach problems, and unboiled rice ( pachai arisi).
    Then you can powder it in small quantities in the mixie or grinder.
    When you give the kanji add honey and dates syrup half as teaspoon each instead of sugar. Helathy that way,
    Love,
    Janani :2thumbsup:

1 person likes this.
  7. mom2ria

mom2ria New IL'ite

Thanks Janani and Suja for the replies.

My friend got the Arogya mix from India .Now I am giving her that. I'll definitely write down your recipe and do that once the powder gets over.

Thanks again!
    Vidya