1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Living your dreams through your child???

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Shanvy, Jun 10, 2009.

Will you want to live your dreams through your child

1. yes

19.2%
  2. no.

80.8%
  1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

<o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
    This is one question that has been churning in my mind for sometime. With my daughter in 9<sup>th</sup>, and being at the wrong place at the wrong/right place(God knows), has really messed up my thinking cap.:coffee

Well it all started with the 10<sup>th</sup> and 12<sup>th</sup> results this year. DH office colleagues, GM, all of them have kids in the 9<sup>th</sup> – 12<sup>th</sup> . so obviously with the results there was discussion about what each kid would/should join. One said whatever happens, I want my daughter to be a doctor, and I am willing to shell out as much for the same (the daughter is scared of blood, that is another story:spin). Another wanted his son to be an engineer, his argument, it being a professional course and since my daughter is already one, I want my son too….

At the same time, I see many parents pushing the kids into classes, like chess, drawing, tennis, cricket anything without wanting to understand what is happening or what the child is thinking (believe me, when you talk to your child you will be surprised at how clear he/she is about the classes and the efforts) When I sit back and think, most of the time, it is because the parent would have wanted to do those classes and could not have done it because of the lack of means or other reasons, and sometimes, it makes great discussion material for showing off at gatherings…:rant

In many classical music classes (this is one thing I frequently notice), you can find children who just come for the classes because the parents force them into it. What with the number of reality shows coming up, every parent wants their child to be a star, very few worry about the child and I don’t say it is wrong, only when the child is not very much into it…recently I came to know of a parent who wanted to put her 2 year girl in a dance classes..(I wonder if the child could walk properly…)

In the sports classes around the city, there are few kids who willingly go into the classes. All because their parents aspired to be a tennis player or a cricketer….(no wonder the new bournvita ad says you want your child to be a sania mirza…)

These days there are parents, who for want of the being in the lime light do not mind to put their children’s life in risk..take the example of the little boy skater from <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Pondicherry</st1:place></st1:city> , who was made to skate in between moving vehicles for a name in records…

When I was part of the school choir, I used to long to attend music classes, but then, due to various reasons it never happened. Now, my children do learn music, but I do not force them to sing. I tell them learn it if you really want it and also enjoy. Luckily for me, my kids share my love for music.

I wanted to be a lawyer, ended up doing computers, now my daughter wants to do CA, and son wants to be geologist with specialization, in seismology…who knows when he will change his mind again. I support their wish and want the best for them.

When we push our kids to do something they are not passionate about, we are trying to dry them out or burn their potential even as they grow. No wonder we have many prodigies fizzing out in the very early stages.

We forget, we would have even mused, when I have my kid, I will be a better parent. Many a time, we try to compensate for not being able to spend quality time with the child by pushing them towards activities that the child hates. Remember, our ambitions for our child leads to stress in them. I do not remember the name but there was a parent who wanted his daughter to be the youngest pilot and she died living his dream.

Trying to get them what you were deprived in your childhood is not the best parenting technique.

After all education is not a means to living alone, it is a learning process. You cannot grow apples out of a orange tree, yes you grow the best apples from the apple tree, by nuturing it, guarding it from the worst enemies and allowing it to grow healthy and fruit bearing. In the same way, each child definitely has an inherent passion for something, by allowing and encouraging it we are helping our child to be a better person.

Swami Vivekanda said “Education is the manifestation of the perfection that is already there”

So the next time, we think, of asking our child to paint, draw, play, let us just stand back and analyse if it what the child likes or is it what we want..?

Let us understand and help in realizing the dream of our child, rather than trying to live our unfulfilled dream through them and who is stopping you from realizing your dreams now..learn singing, dancing or whatever even now..there is no age for learning ….:thumbsup

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
    2 people like this.

2. viveka

viveka Senior IL'ite

Hi Shanthi!
    We should not live our dreams through our children. Hey, God gave us a lifetime, you work on your dreams, let them realise theirs! I got to study what I wanted. My kids have the same freedom.
    One is doing a masters in engg, other is in 10th this year, sure about science stream for 11th, but still and mulling over career aspirations.
    As parents, we should be there to advise if they need it, if they actually ask for it. But it helps to have some skills in career counselling, so that the kid can develop and reach his/her true potential.

3. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear shanvy,
    A very good topic. I know some parents, who force their children to do some activities against their wish. This they are doing to fulfill the parent's dreams. but I am not for it. I allowed my children to pursue the course they want without interfering. If the parents, thrust their dreams on the children, against their wish. results would be disastrous.
    with love
    pad

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Viveka,

Nice to know people all think that we should not live our dreams through our kids. thanks for concurring on that it is never too late to realise our dreams.

Career guidances is something we need to do for our kids. there is a difference between guiding with options and forcing a course down the kids throat. I know a father who wanted to be a pilot but could not make it, now saving money and pressuring the kid to become one.

thanks for dropping in.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Padmam,

Nice to get a postive affirmative from a experienced mom. My heart goes out to all those kids, who lose their childhood and become puppets in the hands of ambitious parents.

6. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Shanthi...
    Its really very pathetic when parents try to push their dreams into their kids , its kind of mental torture for the kids too... when you were telling about the reality shows, i feel so bad when they are looser those kids cry very badly and become emotional too... this happen in studies too ..
    in future when N grows we never want to do that to her and leave her according to her choice and just guide and be with her...

7. lvarada

lvarada Bronze IL'ite

Shanthi, Have been a silent reader of most of your posts on child rearing and for me its been an eye opener... Your clarity of thought and maturity is a guiding light for me.. Wanted to thank you for that... Keep your thoughts flowing...

8. viveka

viveka Senior IL'ite

Hi Shanthi:
    here are two of my favourite examples without mentioning names:
    1. a very successful indian lawyer father whose family consisted of illustrious judges and lawyers forced that his son into the best engg college of their state when the kid wanted to pursue law. he did not clear his first year for about four years, his heart was not in it and he refused to study. his classmates who were graduating finally convinced him that he should quit ruining his life, face his father with courage and pursue law. Apparently, he entered a top law school at 21, by 26 he was a supreme court lawyer having graduated with flying colors! kids thrive when they love what they are studying....
    2. this is from a readers digest issue of atleast 20 years ago. a supreme court judge in america retired at 65 after an illustrious career. he had always wanted to be a doctor. so at 65 he enrolled into med school and graduated at 70. he apparently practised as a general practitioner till he passed away at 95.

dont think this is possible only in the US. while i was a doctoral student, i met two women in their late 30s, who left bringing up their kids in the US to their moms, came to india, paid handsomely in dollars for MBBS seats as NRI students. it was a tough 5 years, for their families, but they graduated, passed their ECFMGs and returned to pursue MDs and happy careers back in the US...

it is never too late to learn or realise your dreams!
    it is possible to dream big, but "you" must make to effort to realise them. you should not force your dreams on your kids or your spouse!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  9. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Shan,

How are you :)

Nice discussion..

But I guess it's completely unfair..:rotfl poll.. there will never be an "Yes"
    Do you expect people to openly accept they are forcing their kids to achieve their left-out dreams ;-) :biglaugh

Parents know what they are doing is wrong, but still do it for the sake of many things like - society peer pressure, achieve their lost goals, to brag and what not..

10. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Shanvy
    I think most of the parents doesnt agree with living your dreams through your child ,as our friend said God has given our life for that and why should we make it a living hell for our dear children...But yeah as you said in most of the extra curricular activities you can see children being pushed into taking the classes.I had a friend of mine whose parents used to scold and beat her if she fails to come up first in school youth festivals!!!