Living abroad with infant/child - medical insurance and other informations to know

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by anuusri, Jan 10, 2010.

1. anuusri

anuusri New IL'ite

ILites, i wish to share this so that it might be useful to others.

When you are in a position to live in abroad with children or reaching abroad after delivery with infant, these things are

very important to note other than normally known to others.

1. Please talk to your hubby after delivery itself, 1st to include the baby also in a Medical Insurance. (by choosing current premium based with good coverage)
    2. People normally have a Medical Insurance for Hospitalization for given by the employer. This is not enough.
    I personally know that many ignore this step. (thought it may be a short term living, dont forget this)
    3. It is a must to take separate medical insurance covering whole family. Where the child also need to be included.
    4. Please get in touch with your other friends at abroad especially who belongs to same community or customs.
    5. The reason for all this, let us say you want to take your child to any clinic or hospital, you should know which Doctor is best to communicate. Especially donot decide this when you happen to face this.
    6. Also keep in mind that immunization or vaccination or regular child development assessment hospital could be different (you may decide to go to a local hospital because of the Infrastructure and other benefits)
    7. When possible locate a Dr who can speak our country language and maintain a visit with him/her, he may be a general doctor some times, Still it is okay.
    8. Also keep in mind that since you are many times observing the child more than a doctor. So if you happened to meet a Dr. when child is ill, better watch his/her assessment and you have to tell them, what is normal to child and what is not. This is very important, because the Dr. some time from entirely different country, he might not have seen our child(s) (body/health condition), It is not same as their country childs.
    9. In abroad, they normally do more tests to assess the condition of child, if the child is not normal. (like fainting or...so)
    They generally use their SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) for assessment instead of much physical assessment like our Indian doctors do. Donot worry.
    10. In extreme conditions, if you donot understand their treatment, ask them without much panic. Many times, they will have a separate communicator to talk to you parent. Some times they could be the person who might know our language.
    11. In case if there is a admission/hospitalization needed, (these days H1N1 makes it..) for observation even though nothing seem urgent. Please listen to their catalogue on beds, facilities, (Note. If your child not used for AirCondition much or if she./he not feel comfortable in that, better ask for normal ward, also if you think your child sleep properly in a separate room better ask find out the suitable room to your condition, they might not know about ours. The same in food also. (If they offer could be some thing not used for your child, you might need to ask some thing which is consumable by your child)
    12. Many times a comfortable sleep for the child will bring down the ailment, in turn the speedy recovery.
    13. You might not have enough time or patience to talk to them, while admitting, they may ask you to pay ..etc.
    14. Better ask them insurance applicable and the related in those circumstances.
    15. This one many of us doing, maintaining delivery record (Mother, Child) and family record of Blood Types, allergies.
    16. Also after discharge, please get the relevant test/diagnosis reports for your collection (you must ask them separately for a copy other wise they will give you only discharge summary)

If i miss any other points please add,

Thanks

2. cutekid

cutekid Silver IL'ite

Re: Living abroad with infant/child - medical insurance and other informations to kno

Hi Anuusri,

I am also staying in Singapore,I knw hw exp is the healthcare,I am going to have baby after few months,U have taken which insurance?Plz suggest,currently I am not PR hence the medical expenses are still expensive.Thnx

3. anuusri

anuusri New IL'ite

Re: Living abroad with infant/child - medical insurance and other informations to kno

Hi cutekid,

Good that you plan before itself.

My hubby have taken an insurance in his company corporate scheme, Please ensure whether the company of your hubby has some provision for the inclusion of family members for additional premium, this is 1st choice,

If not you can consider AXA or NTUC Luv. (or if you own Diners Credit Card they are also offering medical insurance full coverage for family includes recession coverage).

Better go to their office and see all the schemes and choose the best, donot enroll any insurance by phone / fax.

Hope it helps