1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lipstick Alert Information...

Discussion in 'Cosmetics & Makeups' started by Senorita, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Senorita

Senorita Silver IL'ite

Lipstick Information

Something to consider Next time you go shopping for Lipstick.This comes from someone Who works in the breast cancer unit at Mt. Sinai Hospital, in Toronto .

[​IMG]

If there is a female you care anything about, Share this with her.Recently a lipstick brand called 'Red Earth' Decreased their prices from $67 to $9.90. It contained lead.

Lead is a chemical which causes cancer....

[​IMG]

The lipstick brands that contain lead are: CHRISTIAN DIOR

LANCOME

CLINIQUE

Y.S.L

ESTEE LAUDER

SHISEIDO

RED EARTH (Lip Gloss)

CHANEL (Lip Conditioner)

MARKET AMERICA-MOTNES LIPSTICK.

The higher the lead content, The greater the chance of causing cancer.After doing a test on lipsticks, It was found that the Y.S.L. Lipstick Contained the most amount of lead.
    Watch out for those lipsticks which are supposed to stay longer.If your lipstick stays longer, it is because of the higher content of lead.

Here is the test you can do yourself:

1. Put some lipstick on your hand.
    2. Use a Gold ring to scratch on the lipstick.
    3. If the lipstick color changes to black,

Then you know the lipstick contains lead.
    Please send this information to all your friends, Wives and female family members.

This information is being circulated at Walter Reed Army Medical Center

Dioxin Carcinogens cause cancer, Especially breast cancer.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008

2. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Sunitha,

You sure do come up with very informative and interesting stuff.
    But this one sure shocked me because I see one of the biggest names in the industry. Not that I use it .I have been very loyal to Oriflame .
    Thanks for sharing it !!
    Love,
    Devika

3. Nakshatraa

Nakshatraa Silver IL'ite

Hi sunitha,
    :eek:mg:That is really a shocking info, though I don't use lipsticks.
    But, finding these big names, I wonder do they never ever care about their customers???

4. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

thank u senorita...shocked to see such big brands in the list...hope our good old lakme is safe enough...

mindi

5. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Initially, it was lead content in the paint ( Used for homes) , lead in water...then the scare of lead in the childrens toys...now lipstick.....Witsendwhen will this stop??

Thanks sunitha for sharing this information.

Fortunately, I use L'oreal lipsticks always...and to be on the safer side...checked my lipsticks...by using the gold ring method..and great...they remained the same color...! Thank God !

Anyway, will pass it on to my friends...!

Cheers
    Krithika (Jithiks)

6. lahy15

lahy15 Silver IL'ite

Thank you so much for the information Sunitha. It is really shocking news for me... My God... I should check before buying any Lipstick now ... Thanks once again... I will forward it to everyone I know. ..

Regards Suni.. :)

7. devi_kulo

devi_kulo New IL'ite

It's shocking news OMG.
    devi

8. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Thanks Sunitha, for the good info.

9. Sri2007

Sri2007 New IL'ite

This is a Hoax circulating since 2006.

Lead in Lipstick Alert - Cancer Causing Lipstick Hoax

Misleading and inaccurate, although a recent study indicates that some lipsticks do contain small amounts of lead.
    Commentary:
    This email forward warns that certain prominent brands of lipstick contain dangerous amounts of lead and can cause cancer in those who use them. Although a 2007 study by The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics has found that some lipsticks do have higher than expected levels of lead, this email forward is not related to that study and contains highly misleading and inaccurate information.

Health authorities worldwide have long known the dangers associated with lead exposure. Most have strict guidelines that regulate the level of lead in consumer products, including cosmetics. Regulatory and industry bodies such as the FDA in the US, the CTPA in the UK, the European Commission and similar institutions in other nations control the substances that can be added to cosmetic products.

©iStockphoto.com/Ivan Mateev

The current version of the email claims that the information originates from the Walter Reed Army Medical Center. However, this claim is highly suspect. There is no mention of such a warning published on the Walter Reed Army Medical Center website. Furthermore, this apparent endorsement and the mention of Dioxin Carcinogens also appear in another email hoax that warns of links between plastic use and cancer. Apparently, the Walter Reed reference was copied verbatim from one hoax email and tacked on to the other in a fruitless attempt to add a measure of credibility.

Another aspect of the email also casts doubt on the authenticity of its claims. While long-term lead exposure can indeed lead to cancer, it is also indicated in other serious health issues such as stroke and kidney disease. Even short-term exposure can have adverse health effects, including impact on blood cell chemistry and developmental issues in children. In spite of this, the "warning" focuses purely on the potential cancer link and ignores other equally serious lead related health issues. It is doubtful that a genuine, medically endorsed warning message would mention only one of the health risks inherent in lead exposure.

The "test" outlined in the message is also highly misleading. According to information available from New Zealand's COSMETIC TOILETRY & FRAGRANCES ASSOCIATION, the "reactions described in the email occur when the test is done with any metal and just using plain wax which is a core component of most lipsticks." My own random testing revealed that dark streaks appear to be left in a variety of substances by a variety of metals, even copper on plain old candle wax. Thus an apparently "positive" result for this test does not effectively indicate the presence of lead. Reliably detecting the presence of lead in a substance generally requires scientific testing or at least the use of specialized lead testing kits. This supposed "test" seems to be a corrupted version of the ancient touchstone method of testing the purity of gold by examining the streak left when gold was scraped against a dark stone. Clearly, instructions for conducting this fake test were only included in the email to trick recipients into believing its claims.

Thus the information in this email is highly misleading and inaccurate and it should not be forwarded to others as is.

That said, a recent study by The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics indicates that some lipsticks do contain small amounts of lead. Although the results of this study are cause for concern, they in no way vindicate the misinformation contained in this email forward. Stacy Malkan, a cofounder of the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics is genuinely concerned about the findings of the study. However, an article on the issue notes:
    Malkan said that lead in lipstick is a valid concern, borne out by the campaign's tests. But she dismissed the cancer scare and a suggestion that consumers can test for lead by scratching lipstick with a gold ring.
    In fact, lead is common element in our environment and we are likely to be exposed to it every day from a variety of sources. The potential danger is that the tiny amounts of lead contained in some lipsticks could accumulate along with other lead sources and eventually cause health issues.

10. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sunitha,
    Thanks for the information. Recently I purchased one L`oreal lipstick and
    I have done the test you mentioned. It became black. I tested with my old
    revlon lipstick too. It also turned black. I don`t know which safe brand to use?
    Now I am scared to use any lipstick.