Limitation on carrying currency travelling from US to India

Discussion in 'Travel' started by coolcool, Sep 20, 2007.

1. coolcool

coolcool New IL'ite

Hi, I am planning for India trip from US. I am wondering is there any limitation in taking indian currency/US dollars with us? I am planning to travel by Luftansa. Should I ask them how much I can carry? what should I do? I am a housewife and don't have any banka/c on my name. I don't want to put the money on my husband's bank a/c. I earned it before I come to USA and I want to give it to my parents. Please help me. I am flying from Chicago.
    All my doubt is 1) How much I can carry with me? (either indian/US dollars) 2) should I keep in carryon bag or should keep it in some other package? please let me know. thank you for reading this post.

2. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Re: Please let me know if you know

Hi coolcool,

You better call the Lufthansa customer service and check with them as how much a passenger could carry on his/her trip to India. Also ask them if you have to declare about the money.

Where to keep the money?
    Keep the money in your hand luggage (hand bag). Some times people might open your booked luggage for security check and the money might get lost.

Have a wonderful trip!

Sindhu

3. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Re: Please let me know if you know

Hi,

As per the Customs you can carry upto 5000USD... However it is suggested you carry upto 500 in cash and the balance in the form of travellers cheques...

Trust this helps you.... If you need more clarification u can visit the indian customs website and refer to the tavellers guide which will give you more elaborate details...

Happy journey..

Veda