Light with a lighter

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by Sriniketan, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Hi friends,
    I have one doubt, which was raised by my daughter also-- is it ok to light the lamp with a lighter?
    Please clear our doubts.

sriniketan

2. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Hi Sriniketan

When you mean lighting the lamp, I take it as you are lighting diya before swami. you could have seen a match box always kept seperate in front of swami almirah, exclusive for lighting diya and other pooja stuff. The idea of using match box for lighting diya is to tell mankind that " See this match stick, it gets destroyed on slight friction, becoz of its "head weight"(Scientifically,it is becoz the sulphur mixture). So inspite of ur acheivements in life, don't let things get in your head and gain head weight, which will destroy your self. Atleast during lighting diya, shed your headweight by cin this matchstick and concentrate on god". I don't think this thaathpariyam can be explained by a lighter.

3. revathy45

revathy45 Bronze IL'ite

Hello Ridgemma,
    Thanks very much for the wonderful explanation,that was really nice.
    Revathy.

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear srini,
    we have come a long way from the stone age and now we use candle to light the diyas in many function you may notice how it is done, not from one lamp to the other, but yes avasarathukku thappillai, dont feel guilty if that had to be done as u never found the matches which i presume is the reason for you to ask here,other wise what others say go....sunkan

5. Sriniketan

thanks ridgemma for your explanation. it is very apt.
    From now on I am going to use only matchsticks.
    sriniketan

6. Sriniketan

sunkan, we always used the matchsticks.
    But in Sunday school, they lighted the lamp with the lighter and from that time my husband bought a lighter solely for this purpose, which I used it reluctantly. After buying that he was using it for sometime and i don't know, but nowadays he uses only the matchstick and i am using the lighter.
    he used to light the lamp immediately after he takes his bath, but i do pooja later on.
    We do get the matchsticks but when it is time to buy , we can use the lighter as a 'rescuer', i think.
    I am going to use only matchsticks from now on!
    thanks for your reply.
    sunkan

7. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Hello Ridgemma,
    Thanks very much for the wonderful explanation,that was really nice.I have never heard of it before so very happy to read it Thanks

8. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sriniketan,

as long as the lighter is not used to light a cigarette, it is alright to use a lighter to light the lamp. Ridgemma has given a good explanation why a matchstick is used. But let me attempt to clarify further as per the significance of lighting a lamp:

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]
    [/FONT] it dispels darkness and is asymbol of the effulgence of wisdom. Everywhere it is lit it dispels darkness

If you want to light a lamp, you need four things. First: a container, second: oil, third: a wick, fourth: fire (this can be a match stick or the modern gas lighter). If any one of these is lacking, you cannot light the lamp.The source of fire used to light the lamp represents our inner light (knowledge) which we use the to light the outer world (the lamp) which stays for a longer time benefitting the world long after we have passed on (the extiguishing of the source of light that is used to light the lamp)

As long as the source of fire (here lighter) is kept pure and not used for other purposes ( like lighting a cigarette (a vice)) You can rest assured ....

I am contemplating since matches were not available few hundred years ago and our Indian tradition of lighting lamps can be traced much way back than the matches, what did they use to light the fire ?? fire stones ?? what could be the vedanta behind that and why we are not sticking to the same method and switched to using matches?? It is all evolution and adaptation my dear... As long as the essence is kept pure...

9. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for clearing this issue...
    ALl these days, i was using lighter to light my diya @ home (only in US).
    I am going to change myself.
    ~Punitha

10. Sriniketan

Thanks Blondie for the excellent explanation.
    I will keep it in my mind.
    The lighter i use is of the lighter used for the stove and it is used only for lighting the lamp, in my case.

sriniketan