1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Life style and Indian community in OHIO

Discussion in 'Indians in Ohio' started by SupriyaDinesh, May 28, 2008.

1. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hello Friends,
    We may move from NJ to OH depending on my hubby's project.Planning to settle in Columbus.Can ILs here give information about Indian community/grocery stores/restaurants there?How much is the rent and cost of living ?Thank you in advance.

2. Shreec

Shreec Bronze IL'ite

Dear Supriya,

Cost of living in OH is defenitely less compared to NJ. But it also depends on your needs. For example I have two school going kids and so we were keen about the school district. Rent starts from $800. For grocery most of them go to Patel brothers, then there is Bombay Bazar and few others. There are few Indian Resturants but you cannot expect anything close to NJ. Lifestyle is also more or less like moving from a big city to a small town. Iam not scaring you but this is what you can expect. But overall compared to NJ, here it is quite and people are also pretty slow when it comes to driving. Hope this gives you a rough idea.

Goodluck with your moving.
    Shree.

3. SupriyaDinesh

Hi shree,
    Thank you for your input.I have a 2 year old son.May be i may enroll him in a play-school.So i can expect a lifestyle change when i move..i'll make my mind set for that..

4. Shreec

Shreec Bronze IL'ite

Hi Supriya,

We lived in East coast and also in NJ for few years and when we moved here we were feeling it is very quite here, but as i told you earlier we were very particular about kids school and so that will narrow down our choice of getting a good apartment for rent, but we do have to compromise somewhere thats what life is all about I feel. Since your son is only 2years you still have 3years time to think about school. Thats good.

Regards
    Shree.

5. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Columbus is surely a change from NJ like Shree says..it is a very quiet place.I moved from CA to here and I too found that to be true.
    Columbus has some of the best school districts and so that will not be a problem.Yes,rents start from $ 800(sometimes lower) and it is definitely cheaper than CA when it comes to rents and standard of living too.You can get a 2BHK town home too for that rent!

For grocery,we go to Kroger or Walmart or Meijer.We are kind of centrally located so all the major stores are very close by-even Costco-just 5-10 minutes away.For Indian groceries,we have one India Grocers in Dublin which is very,very good,about 20 minutes drive from our place-Westerville.There is also another one called Spice World.There is one huge mall-Polaris Fashion place where you can find all the major outlets.

There are Indians everywhere in Columbus...you will definitely not miss our people.There is one good temple-Bharatiya Hindu temple on Hyatt Road..it is a very serene and beautiful place.

Nonya likes this.
  6. SupriyaDinesh

7. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Wow.. supriya.. you might leave NJ, huh? now thats sad :(

But I guess everything;s for good right...

Obviously Ohio is cheaper.... for the rent you are paying blueberry you might very well get a 2 bedroom me thinks :)

Have fun !!

8. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

OHIO is definitely cheaper than NJ.We were in Rhode Island for 2-3 years and moved to OHIO.We stay now in a 2 bedroom apartment for 800+ compared to RI where the rent was 800+ for a single bedroom.

Depends where in OHIO you want to settle.Dublin schools are good.Even Columbus schools too.

For Groceries you have Patel brothers,Meijer,Walmart,Giant Eagle.

9. SupriyaDinesh

Thank you manju fo ryour reply.BTW which is better Dublin or westerville or columbus?

10. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Depends on your husband's place of work or your kids school.We chose Westerville because of closeness to workplace,just a minute away.My son's school is about 10 minutes away and the school district is good.Like I said,most school districts are good-Westerville,Worthington,Dublin,Olentangy and Upper Arlington.