1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Letters from a father to his daughter

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Vidya24, Feb 24, 2008.

1. swarnalata.N.S.

swarnalata.N.S. Platinum IL'ite

Hullo.
    I saw this thread today only, you have wriiten it many months before and i am new member. But i feel fortunate i could see this article in index today.
    You have written so well so loving and feelingly about your father and the bond . So much love if a person can feel that itself is treasure for life, what more we want. this is the feeling i got.

My father died when i was 7 years. Now i dont have even little memory of him. There are some photos, he is hugging me, keeping me on his lap and all, but i cannot remember anything. I dont think of him too much, people ask do you miss father ?then i have to be honest and tell, no, i am not missing because i never knew him. But once or twice, when i saw some emotional movies, i felt loss that i dont have father and felt sad for a little while. Now reading your beautiful article i really felt loss. I have missed something wonderful in life.
    In our parts they say " AAsirvathikkapattavanga" ( like " blessed people")You are that . and so nice you dint take that bond for granted but appreciate god's blessing and filled it in your soul. That heart-filling love will give you strength for ever.

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Swarnalatha,

That was such a touching memory of your father! And I feel that anyone who has enjoyed the warmth and affection of a father even for a day is blessed. As you have written about me, 'blessed one'- I know it applies to you too. Sometimes, I feel that God averages His blessings out for everyone of us. I see that you have a lovely six yesr old son. I am still waiting to be blessed with a child after 13 years of marriage. So, you are just as blessed and graced by God. Thnks for such a nice post. I was feeling miserable yesterday thinking that I should have never started this thread since I have been unable to reply to the FB in time, indvidually. Your post made me feel better.

regards
    Vidya

3. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

Dear vidya,
    That was a touching post.A couple of days back, I started reading this post,could not continue and did not read it fully.I just did not have the guts.When we read something so emotional and touching like what you have narrated ,immediately you think about your experiences in similar situation.I lost my father when I was very young.My two daughters are very attached to their father.When I read how your father guided you ,I could not but think of my husband as a young father how much love he showered on his daughters.He only taught them to read chandha mama ,and other story books very patiently.Once they caught on to the habit of reading there was no stopping them.
    My younger daughter started an animal welfare centre and spent all her salary on tending to the dogs and cats,father dear would patiently help her out.giving her money even for her auto fare.
    My elder daughter is at Bangalore.Last time when we went there, he spent lot of time in their garden and raised a beautiful garden for her and for her neighbours.Initially my daughter was almost angry that her father was working like a mali in other people's garden,but when she saw how much respect they had for him, she relented.
    Your father and your fondness of your father,your love for him made me think of my daughters and their love for their father.
    I think this father daughter relationship is very special.
    I thoroughly enjoyed the post
    love
    mithila kannan

4. sneha.sanghavi

sneha.sanghavi New IL'ite

Hi vidya,
    Really I must say, u have the most precious treasure of ur life. No jewellary no precious stones can ever measure upto the treasure u have in ur handsBow

5. lahy15

lahy15 Silver IL'ite

Dear Vidya,

What a lovable father and preserving his letters and mails are the most precious gifts in world ... I have no words to express other than my Bowto you Vidya ... :)

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dEar vidya,

that was a lovely tribute to your father...yes i too am papas pet and so could relate to it very emotionally....i also have preserved his letters and emails ever since the day i got married and left home and whenever i think of him it is nice to read them ........

Mindi

7. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Vidya,

Read your post before but just could not come back and write again. I also share a special bond with my father. We have fought, argued, talked, laughed together and I would say he was more than a friend to me. If I am successful in my Joint Family, i only owe to him. All good things come to an end and so happened with my dad also....... it is past 6yrs now. But the way I lost him .......
    We had planned to put a first storey on my fil's property and all the documentation was getting ready. We got hold of an engineer, and my father was the key person to discuss with him all the minute details reg to construction.Parallely his health was also failing him. When we laid the first brick, he was in hospital for an angiogram and passed away after 2 days. He was not there to see his dream come true. Till date I have not been able to come to terms with this personal loss. In other words damn it....... I just miss him yaar.

8. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

Hi Dear,

I really cried after reading post.I cannot express my bonding towards my dad.He has sacrificied so many things for me.He is 57 yrs old now.

I pray God to give him enough physical strength to take care of his grand and great-grand children.

I know the importance of getting a child now and now Iam extremely grateful to my parents for bringing me up.

I will not be known to this world without them.

9. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vidya:

I am writing this fb at least a year after the post appeared. The dates on the other fb's leave no doubt on that score. My excuse of course is that I didn't know IL at the time you wrote this, leave alone you.

I admit I have a weakness for beauty. The world is full of beautiful objects, but nothing attracts me more than the beauty of languages, in particular of the English language. A major reason why I keep hanging around here at IL is that I get to read people like Cheeniya, people who write charming English prose. Justifiably enough, he is universally admired at IL.

What brought me over to this post today was a chance encounter with you in a Cheeniya post on the choice of user names. I started reading your fb to that post and was impressed by the command over language that you demonstrated. I was also struck by your 'gentle' note of disagreement with the view that blog readers are available a dime a dozen. I tend to agree with you that all bloggers don't necessarily attract at least twenty readers. They are discerning. I know this from my own humbling experience.

Enough of this. I liked your fb to the Cheeniya post so much, I mean I liked your use of the English language so much, that I searched for your threads and discovered the present one. I must say I am charmed by it. I may be praising you for the wrong reason of course. Much that I am moved by the subject of the post, your relationship with your father, the direct one, the indirect one throught letters and finally the most impersonal one through emails in a cyber world, it was actually your careful and cultured use of language that kept me glued to it till the end. One does not come across this phenomenon too often. Not at IL, nor any other blog site for that matter.

I haven't preserved my letters to my father or the ones I received from him. But in my own way, I did preserve letters, all letters, from some point of time onwards in my life. I often go back, like you, and read them all over again. They fill me up with a strange sense of satisfaction. The satisfaction surrounding memories about people you came close to in your life. People who took the trouble of writing a long or a short letter to you. As I hold on to those letters, I feel that I am touching the persons who wrote them. Pieces of paper bearing the stamp of human touch. Some of them, needless to say, have even dissociated themselves from their earthly habitat forever.

Emails of course don't carry a tactile connotation. They resemble rabits emerging out of empty hats. That's cyber space for you. Yet, over time, they too have begun to assume a life of their own I think. You can create directories to preserve communications from loved ones, friends as well as relatives. And then, one fine morning, they begin to speak to you. Like pieces of music that you have listened to many times over and ignored, until, without giving you any prior notice at all, they suddenly touch a chord deep inside you.

All the best.

oj