1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lets share what we teach our kids daily

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by hs2009, Oct 9, 2012.

1. ramyaganesh04

ramyaganesh04 Bronze IL'ite

hi,
    My son is 2.7 years old.. thi sjune he started going to school... I had started teaching him before an yr... normally i use to teach him oral, showing the pictures /objects in TV.. he identifies that slowly... in that case discovery and animal planet is my best option... whenever he sees the thing afterwords in outside he can easily find out.. ex: traffic ligt colors...(traffic ligh rhymes).. i use to download from Youtube.. with clear audio..(its take some time, but its worth)and puzzle square with colors... ..
    now he can tell/identify
    1. numbers upto20
    2.colors
    3.birds
    4.animals
    5.fruits
    6.emotions
    7.transports
    8.some rhymes with action(his favourite is teddy bear)
    9.1 guru sloka..
    now i started teaching him with countries with capital and flags... i hate teaching him forcely... i ll on the video in for some time.. as he start repeating with the audio... i thing this is the best thing....

3 people like this.
  2. Harithag

Harithag Gold IL'ite

Dd is arranging the stack correctly now and identifying green color.still 3 more colors to identify.
    All the best to all the moms here..
    @Shantanu ,Thanks for the app.
    @Rakhii that's good to know abt your DD.

1 person likes this.
  3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

@Shantanu, thanks for the app name. Will dowloan it.
    @Ramya, thats awesome to know about you kiddo! Wow...countries and capitals eh? I think I learned it when I was at least in grade 5...lol
    @Haritha, you go girl!! I have to start colors for my LO now. Will start tomorrow.

4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My DD is 2 years old. She can identify numbers (0-9), few cursive alphabets and capital alphabets, vegetables, fruits, animals (10 or so), few transport vehicles, few colors and few shapes. I do not have a set fun/learn/play routine for her. I feel I need to start it soon. We solve alphabet puzzles, read wild animals/alphabets/birds chart, play with animal toys, go through numbers on a daily basis. She does actions for certain rhymes. But somehow I am not satisfied with what I am teaching DD. I am not sending her to a day care/pre school. She does not speak much too. so she has not started reciting anything. i am not in a hurry for that too. I am planning on doing arts and crafts with dd on a regular basis. She does not watch TV so the option of making her watch some interactive videos is ruled out.
    What else can I teach DD?
    Do you guys have a set routine for teaching/playing?

5. Rakhii

I have a maximum of 3.5 hours of quality time per day with her Ramya. So, I don't get to do much but like you, I make sure to go through all the old things she knows at least once in the evening +1 new thing a day.
    I thought you were sending her to Montessori for a few hours, stopped it?

6. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

I talk a lot when I give my DD a bath. I would slowly probe into her school, bus, play time and understand what is happening and advise her accordingly. But my all time teachings are -
    1) Always be positive - never say 'I cant', 'I wont' and all
    2) Be brave and self confident
    3) Do not cry - crying doesnt make any change

7. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@rakhii I put her in a pre-school when I was in India for vacation. Here pre-school starts only in September and it is only for 2 days a week*2 hours. Not sure how much of a help that is going to be. Montessori is super expensive! So that choice is ruled out.

8. Rakhii

Sorry Ramya, I dont exactly follow any particular schedule, so cant help you here.

One question to you though, being a south Indian, am asking you. I was talking to my mom and she was telling me that normally in our family we do something called "aksharabhyasam", basically formal initiation into education in a temple before school. In 2014, we are going to India and I wanted it to be done there but its a year away.
    Did you do any puja or some sort before starting alphabets/ numbers etc? If yes, can you please share the process of what you did?

I think you are from Tamilnadu and I wan to do it the Tamil way. we dont have, how should I say, good relationship with my inlaws and so they will not guide me.

9. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

hey,
    I do have a 2 year old. So far I didnt do much to his learning process. But after he turned two I slowly introduced numbers. He can count to 20.
    He sings abc song, but do not recognize any alphabets. He hates alphabets. I introduced to starfall.com. But he won't sit for it. hmmm
    He sings many rhymes, maybe around 20. He is good in catching tunes.

Now, I joined abc mouse. Same issue , no interest in knowing about alphabets:( I have lost hope in that :)

I will look through all your discussion and see how you guys have managed to introduce it ...

10. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Rakhi ,
    Keralites do that between 2-3 years during the saraswati pooja. The chile should not cross 3 years. We make the children write after that pooja.
    Nitha