1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lets share our feelings -- Season 4

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Aadhusmom, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Jet speed thread !!!!

Snow storm here.... He was using laptop for his work, so me following the news !! Now both Appa-ponnu slept...I am here :)

Arthi... Aditi is doing good...enjoying a lot when in carseat...as she is getting good view !! If she is laying on the bed, she could see the blank ceiling only !! Yeah... coming soon. My mother's is in chennai and in-laws is near chennai.... so pretty much near.

Vidya... Happy for you and Shibu kutti. Your Grandpa will be in my prayers... take care of yourselves. You had kozhukattai there... I made ummini kozhukattai today and had it !!

Krithika.... You are a wonderful person. Had a hearty laugh on K words and acts. As Vanathi told, tell her to join this gang !!

Asha... How are you ? We will land in March.

Rekha, Padmini ... welcome here. Enjoy !

Ramya... How are you ? Nice to see you here. take care of your baby.

Ponlatha... May your wish to become a teacher will come true soon. Love to your kids. Very happy you and kids enjoyed a lot. Truly educative in a playful way !

Latha... Hugs to you and to your kids. So sweet of your kid... sorry in his words. Romba samathu paiyan thaan. Take care and have a great weekend ! Wishes for your bread adventure !

Sindhu...Oh cancelled because of this storm... kids must be upset. What payasam you made ? Take care of yourselves.

Lyn... Enjoy this break. How is Len ?

Vanathi... How are you and Aadhu ? Posted some snaps... the one in the car-seat too with her grin face too !

Hey girls.. posted three more snaps...have a look ! Will try to post some storm photos in a day or two.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  2. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Girls, lil one slept sometime back, 19posts already, in just a day! At this rate, we would hit 1000 posts in less than 2months :)

Am worried about DD, she has those red spots, all 10paise coin size, in her legs - below knees, hands - below elbow, bums are soooo rough, but no red spots, am really clueless whether its coz of sandplay or not enough moisturised, or some food allergy. Sometimes i conclude its not food, but sometimes i do doubt. I want a solution, to her scratchy nights. She becomes irritated once she gets those itchy temptations.

Asha, Latha, DD keeps chocolates in fridge on her own, takes them on her own, only thing is she herself offers to brush her teeth soon after eating chocos. I never restrict them.

3. Young@heart

Young@heart Silver IL'ite

Hi Pon, Did your DD wear something fancy? Because my DD got the same rashes when she wore a fancy lehenga-choli with lace etc. The doc on seeing her only said ; she has worn something differenct where the fabric has not suited her. so maybe, just a thought!!

And I am glad you liked that forward. It really helped me go through my second pregnancy without that familiar guilt trip for the first one. And yes, now that i see my DD and DS playing together, the poem seems all the more meaningfull.

Gowri, where have you posted the snaps? I want to see them too.

Latha, I agree with you that this thread makes a lot of difference in our day. I really look forward to reading and updating my day on it. How did the bread come out?

Lee, Have a great weekend and since i am in mumbai too, do let me know how is palghar as a weekend getaway because with two kids, i definitely cannot and donot want to go long distance.

Raj, How is it going? I posted a poem (not by me) for you on the last page of the previous thread. I hope it does cheer you up. Since it is in my other PC, i cannot upload it again right now. If possible and if you have time, read that.

Tikka, K looks to be quite intelligent going by the conversation on why and why not? My DD has just entered that stage where she asks, "kyun nahin kar sakti hoon?" and leaves it at that. but having an elder DS, i can imagine more why's and why not's coming my way. Your ways and means of parenting amaze me and i wish i have that much of conviction!!

Nitha, you are a lawyer??? Since i am a later joiner in this group, so i came to know now and asking. Have you practised in India before and in which type of cases mostly?

Pavarun, My hubby also makes such similar comments " you should keep the kids disciplined and occupied by making every task/work/play challenging!! and i tell him to swap places for an hour if not for a day atleast.
    you are into what (as for work)? Hope you enjoyed the day off. And sorry for my asking ; you have two kids (or 1)?

Asha, your DD has such an amazing amount of self control to not eat the sweets!! That's praiseworthy.

I know driving on my own will make me independent but till date have not got the courage to do so (inspite of learning it earlier also). But this time, i have set a deadline of 1st March to drive on my own.
    Your DD and DS go the same daycare? I am asking since my DD joins the same school in April where my DS goes and he says " donot worry mummy, i will check on A in short and long breaks" .

That's more or less from me now. More later !!!

Payal

4. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Nitha... It was nice talking to you... my first try through computer calling. Take care of Chinnu kutti. Will pray for her speedy recovery.

Payal... In my album dear. check it out ! :)

5. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Alright guys, you need to stop talking about all that yummy food for a while now. This preggo is like a woman possessed with cravings, and losing sleep at all the delish food you keep mentioning. :)

Payal, I read the little write up you attached for me. It was written just for me! Or if I think about it, the mom who wrote it went through exactly the same emotions I am going through. That's a relief in a way. Thank you for attaching that. I know I will love the baby as much as I do Riya. God has made a mom's heart big enough for as many kids as He gives her, and she learns how to love them uniquely. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Did I tell you that each of you guys are just absolutely wonderful?

Latha, isn't it sweet that A apologized? You have such a sweetheart of a son, which shows what a great job you are doing! I understand about going out to get fresh produce everyday.

Pon, just wonderfing if some calamine lotion may help relieve the itching.

Lynette, I LOVE your name. It was/is one of my choices for a girl's name. :) Can you make some veggie chops and send them my way? I am drooling.

Nitha, I would definitely recommend seeing an allergist before putting in the tubes. I hope Chinnu feels better. Poor thing.

Gowri, where in Delhi did you work? I was born in Delhi, and lived there until 2005.

Raj

6. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Pon; is it from food? Did she have anything she's allergic to? Don't worry; it will subside by today morn.
    Payal; Yes; was/ am a lawyer. Corporate cases only..good cash;) Now planning to shift the gear. Corp law is a very demanding mistress. 24/7 is just not enough:))
    Raj; Have you heard of putting garlic oil for ear-infection? I was googling for home remedies and I saw this. Called the ped; and she said discharge of pus from eyes is the consequence of ear-infection/ upper respiratory infection:( Also; when you get time do letz know how you met Brian. I am all ears to hear romantic stories. I guess; I am wrongly wired:). I cry watching Sweet Home Alabama whenever they put it in cable;))

Ladies; There was a cooking contest in jay's office (for employees). He brought back some amazing cakes; cookies and bread . It tasted so great; I am :bowdownthe ladies who cooked it. Amazingly softest Angel cake and choc cake and artisan breads. I am awed. It was so so great.
    Have a great weekend!!!
    Gdnite/ and Gd morn :))
    -Nitha

7. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

All, DD is up with 101C fever :( Her teacher informed me yesterday itself that she shared a fruit juice of another child's. She was coughing badly yesterday, now looks like a throat infection.

8. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Oh Pon, I hope Shalini feels better soon. There's not much you can do when kids share, and most of the times it's more than hugs and juices. Keep an eye on that fever and if it goes above 104, take her to the doctor. Will be saying a prayer for your little one tonight. Don't worry, she'll be fine.

Nitha, I have heard of many home remedies for ear ache but I wouldn't put anything in the ear. I am too sensitive about using home remedies in the ear. My dad has hearing issues so may be that's why I am too sensitive and careful We don't realize but allergies can cause havoc in the whole body. Ask your pedi if she would recommend a good allergist for you guys.

Well, today is a good day for me and Riya is in bed so I have got some time. Our story is that Brian's parents lived in India for 13 years, his dad ran a company in Haryana and it was based out of Illinois. I worked for his mom for an year and moved on to a better paying job after that but his mom and I kept in touch and they became my second set of parents. I knew them for 9 years before I even met Brian! He came to Delhi in April of 2004 to visit his parents for a week. We exchanged email addresses and became really good friends online. It wasn't love at first sight or anything, it was purely platonic. I always loved meeting new people from different cultures and walks of life. We would email each other with questions about each other's culture and travels, like penpals. I love traveling and so does he. Later that year, I came to the US for Christmas with Brian's parents and spent time with his whole family. That's when I fell in love with him, but the guy was clueless. He kept talking about my next visit to the US and I told him clearly I am not coming back! My parents will never send me back again, and that too alone. It doesn't work that way in India.

I had begged my dad to let me go and I will seriously think about marriage proposals after my trip to the US, and Brian's parents came and vouched for my safety and security. :) So I came back home and marriage proposals poured in left, right and center. A week after I was back, Brian and I were chatting online and he proposed to me in a very non-traditional way and I said yes. Then Brian's parents, even though americans, respected my culture and tradition and came to our house and asked for my hand in marriage for their son. I had told my parents about the proposal and that I said yes. They didn't object at all. So, anyway with my parents blessing, we started our paperwork, Brian came to India atleast 3 times after that, we got engaged in Delhi and got married in the US in June 2005.

I think the best part of my story is not how I met Brian or married him, but how God blessed me with a wonderful set of parents. I grew up in a south Indian traditional family, but I became a Christian (that's another story for some other time) way before I even met Brian, and my parents did not object to that at all, I married out of caste, religion and culture, they didn't object to that. I think that's the biggest blessing I have, next to Brian as my husband. My brother's now married to this wonderful girl from Uttaranchal. My parents are something, and truly, truly love us to put our needs first before their beliefs, way of life and thinking.

Brian and I have been married for a little more that 4 1/2 years now and there never goes a day when I don't thank God for him. Now moving to the US wasn't a joyride but that too passed or atleast I am working on it still. :) So there's my story.

Raj

9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Goody, two pages in 12 hours :) I do agree with Latha, ever since I started posting here it looks like I am cribbing less and less to DH.
    Nitha, agree with Raj. When DS was tiny he had frequent runny noses that never flared up into colds - the runny noses went away when I stopped all dairy products. Do ask for an allergy tests and have that ruled out. Even when K had his really huge asthma attacks, it felt like they followed the couple of times we were trying to see if he had outgrown his allergies and gave him milk straight. (I am not sure if it is you, but did you have a problem introducing milk to your kiddo?) I have heard that garlic has anti-inflammatory properties and I used garlic oil regularly to control my back pain. But I wonder how safe it is to administer it into the ears. How about adding garlic to her diet (if you have not already done so) and see if that makes a difference? - btw, I love the title song...actually I likely lynyrd skynyrd a lot.
    Raj, that IS some story. It is really awesome of your parents in law to come home and ask for your hand - has an old world charm about it. I now understand how well both you and your in-laws have worked on the relationship...
    I am not sure you caught up with the entire season 3, but at some point, inspired by you mainly, I talked it out with my in-laws. I kept it to the way they perceive my parenting, without bringing in the history. So much has changed since then.
    One of pa-in-law's colleague - Prof KK - visited the in-laws. Uncle KK also has a grandson around DS's age and wanted to buy him something from the bookshop. (I was working that day, so I was not around) Uncle KK was so impressed with how K behaved that he told all their common friends in Delhi and the college here. My in-laws have been telling all their family about it and R's grandma called up my parents to tell them this. It finally feels like they see my point of view. I am really relieved that I spoke up finally, though it was easier to just stew in negative thoughts. THANK YOU, thank you, thank you for giving me that courage to talk to them.
    Pon, hope shalini is feeling better today. I hope it is just a scratchy throat. Yeah, I too agree there is no point in limiting when the child knows how to limit herself/himself. I started this gems as an incentive to get K to eat when he was sick... bad move... but when he got well he would say I want only one gems and eat just one.
    And you will make an awesome teacher, given your approach to parenting. Maybe we should start a school ;-)
    Lyn, have a great weekend... holiday is always welcome for a mom :)
    Gowri: Aditi and her famous car seat are toooooo cute. What is ummini kozhukattai. That again is my fav food - I like things that are steamed.
    Payal, he is too clever for his own good actually ;-). and Raj, that's one reason I am very grateful for the fact that he spoke well only from his 2nd year ;-) I had one more year of peace.
    Latha, I guess I missed about A's tantrum... you are so organised in your thoughts, I have always been very impressed with that.
    do let me know what food processor that is... ours got burnt out and we are "investigating/researching" to use husbandese. He manages to blend everything with the hand blender and mine turns out rather lumpy, this is one initiative I want to wrest from him and just.go.get.it. It is usually me who does that, read, read, read and finally get something totally different from what I wanted in the first place. I take too much time deciding on things. If only I can change that habit of mine...

p.s. Asha, he threw it neither at me nor at the glass counter, but just threw with anger. But realised the minute he did he did something that is a no-no in our home and gave himself a timeout... or stomped off to his room... depending on whether he was being a teen or just a frustrated preschooler.

10. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

Already three pages? I dont think I can cope, but cant give up either reading these interesting posts.

Riya, your love story is interesting. I too married out of caste and religion but was indeed a difficult process. We both didnt want to hurt our parents and married 10 years of courtship when we were both nearing 31.It is not that the parents didnt like our choice, but more of 'what will others think'. In the end we ended up with three wedding days, a christian one, a hindu one and a civil one. Only our parents and very close relatives knew that we had the wedding from the other religion. Our hometowns being about 100kms apart also helped ;-) A few german and french wedding guests also helped ;-)

Nitha and pavarun, I am from Aluva.

tikka, how can I be a good parent? I have some ideas but do not know if they are good are bad.

Riya, I chose Laya. I chose my sister's daughters name Shruthy and wanted Laya for my daughter's.

Nitha, my sis's daughter also has ear infectiosna and poor thing is banned from ice creams or cold things because of that.

Pon, hope your DD gets well.

Sorry I could remember only as much! How do you all remember what everyone else posted? Please give me tips..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.