1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Let's Relax Now - No Warning Bells!

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Jan 23, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Re: Even Silence Speaks....by Meena

Hello Meena,
    I am happy to see your enthusiastic participation. Yes it is necessary to enlarge the poems to the biggest size and post it everywhere for the world to read. But it is more important, Meena, to post the poem firmly in our heart for our soul to read, and see that the poem enlarges our hearts.
    I liked the powerful quote you have given at the end. But I am a little confused about its meaning.
    First I thought that it means, that we may forget the words of anger and deeds of hatred of our enemies. But we cant forget the silence of our friends. That is when you do something which your best friend does not like. She may not openly say so, for fear of hurting you. But she will remain silent and that silence we can easily sense and can never forget.
    But as I went down to sudha's post I find she means it differently. She talks of the sweet company between friends spent in each others company without talking anything.
    IL Gurus, please explain the meaning to us, ordinary mortals.
    Thanks , Meena.
    regards,
    sridhar

2. varalotti

Remain So For Ever, Vidya!

You can remain my first critic. Never should you become my cloying fan. All agreed. But drop the sir behind my name, Vidya Madam.
    It is the encouragement given by all of you, your taste in enjoying good posts, that has driven me to deliver what I think is the best. Happy to know that you also consider it good.
    To be honest, Vidya, I am not here to teach you all simple home truths. I am learning some home truths, and have been doing that for some years, and I am only sharing the learning process. I am not leading your way; but being a person who travelled in the same path a few days earlier, cautioning you all of the dangers I faced.
    Thanks for those words which really made me work overtime in preparing the next post due today.
    regards,
    sridhar

3. varalotti

Want your views on the meaning of the quote!

Dear Sudha,
    Bharatiyar was a saint, a fully realised soul. I was conversing with a writer, a popular writer, of my age. I complimented him that he still had that fire in the belly to produce good works.
    He then talked about Bharatiyar. He said that Bharati's fire was so powerful that it burnt down the stove itself. Poems like these are just sparks which flew from the fire of ultimate self-realisation and self-annihilation.
    Sudha, please see my reply to Meena on the quote you both have used in your replies. I want to know the correct meaning. Please help me.
    regards,
    sridhar

4. varalotti

But I dont have a way with you Sriranjani!

Sriranjani,
    I am grateful for your kind words, no doubt.But am also uncomfortable with some eerie silence I can read between the lines of your post.
    I remember an old Tamil adage, புலி பாய்வதற்கு முன் பதுங்குவது
    At least do me this favour when you respond to the next thread, which is going to be damn serious and pretty hot. Hotter than even listening or gossip. Please wait for somebody else to post their response and then you can post yours.
    Hope you will know the reason for that.
    Thanks once again, Sriranjani.
    regards,
    varalotti

5. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    That is a valid doubt. I just remembered this close friend of mine , with whom a chatterbox like me could sit for hours , communicating silently, there would be so much we would have shared in that silence! Thats what i remembered from Meena's quote....but honestly i did not think of anything in the likes of what you have asked.
    But after u have asked, i thought about it.......that can also be true, that we remember the silence of friends, when they could have said something when they did not like what we did or said......
    I dont remember any such situations now...but will mull on this quote, in the context that you have asked! And lets see if Meena or anyone else has anything on this !

6. varalotti

I am Going To Ring The Bell! ILites, Wake Up!

Ladies,
    Thanks for the wonderful response to this thread. Have you relaxed enough? Feeling refreshed? Yes, it's now time to move on to the next session, a very serious one at that. A serious warning bell, this time. The Monster of Jealousy.
    I apologise upfront for spoiling your week-end moods. But its time for introspection.
    Welcome to the real world, where jealousy rules.
    Varalotti

7. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Hello Sridhar,

Please read sudha's explanation on my quote & that's exactly what I meant. But maybe the first part of the quote creates a bit of confusion here. If we read it more than once, everyone of us can come up with different explanations. But here is what I meant.

" I still remember my friend's hug OR just a firm hold of my hand when I'm down more than the thousand words the not-so-friends offered.
    A silent support/caress of my hubby is what I remember more than the venomous words of my MIL.
    The silent suffering of the poor touches me more than the thousand, loud fancy talks of the rich & the famous".

IT COULD MEAN SO MUCH MORE - LIKE,

We attatch so much significance to the response from a friend.
    Even a single word like "good" or 'great' will give us more satisfaction than a tirade of sentences from unknown person / enemy.

This saying especially holds good when we are in distress. We will not remember the abuse given by our enemy after dust settles down, but if a friend had just been silent, we will remember it for ever, as this will hurt us deep down where we live and feel cheated. Friends are there in need and silence at that time of need is unpardonable. It will kill the rapport and attatchment.

I think we can just go on & on with this one quote but I think I'll stop here OR the line of thought might differ from what the original post meant.

8. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Thanks Sridhar

Dear Sridhar,

Thankyou so much for the beautiful Bharathi Poems and their translations. Your explanation was amazing. I have never heard these poems before . These poems are so powerful in delivering its message. It has definitely got me thinking. I think most women here in IL will agree with me when I say that women like small talk and gossip. I have definitely had my share of that too.
    Thankyou very much for posting this poem and making me and many other women here realise that SILENCE is incredible.Romba Romba Nanri!!!!

Jothi.

9. varalotti

Good Intrepretation, Meena!

Hello Meena,
    Thanks a zillion for your colourful post, colourful, literally and figuratively. The words in bold lilac color are very deep and I could sense, come directly from your heart.

And your words remind me of an incident involving my friend. One of my childhood friends, who is now working upcountry, came to visit me last month. He confided me in his problems and sought my counsel. You know I always want to talk. So I talked, talked and talked. He had to hear me. At times when I was vehement he even objected. But I went on and on.

Then we had food together in a hotel. And talked about our (g)olden days. I gave my book Manase Manase as a parting gift to him. Three days later he called me up from his place.

"You took the trouble of giving so much advice for solving my problems. I am grateful to you for that. But I am sure none of them would work.
    But as I was travelling in Vaigai Express from Madurai to Chennai I happened to read your novel. The message that is contained between the lines provided me with the answers I was looking for. Your spoken word might not have helped; but your written words, especially the spaces between them worked. Thanks."

Many times, Meena, (as I did to my friend) when someone comes for our counsel we tend to pour our experiences and our feelings. We do listen to them but when they ask for a specific direction, we quote from our life. That may not have relevance to them as their life is way different. Enough if we fill our hearts with love and just be with them. That is the essence of your and Sudha's post.
    I am very happy that you two ladies enriched this thread with your beautiful observations.
    May you be always blessed.
    sridhar

10. varalotti

Dear Friends,

I have a guilty feeling that I made you all very heavy with a thread on a raw emotion, jealousy.

So to partially compensate that heaviness I am posting a couple of scenes from Ramayana this Wednesday.

Needless to say, that this is only a preparation for something serious to follow.

Welcome on board the craft that is ready to fly to dizzy heights. Our captain this time is Kavichakravarthy Kambar.

Somebody said that literature is the most powerful detergent that washes the dirt off one's soul. Here is a powerful demonstration of the effectiveness of this branded detergent.

regards,
    Varalotti