Let's Fire Up Those Neurons!

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Gauri03 ,

Even though I didn't message you or put in a clue or spoiler here, I was there! I surprised myself with the black pepper connection. I connected Santorini and the cargo ship as a clue for port city and only later connecting Santorini to the greek connection. I enjoyed reading about periyar, black pepper etc etc...but being a late entrant all the clues helped though didn't check spoilers. V sirs guruvayurappa clue narrowed it down for me :) I am enjoying the learning thats happening.

Thyagarajan, Gauri03 and Viswamitra like this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Puzzle #8832

upload_2022-8-8_15-51-24.png

Coffee-break puzzle: Level of diffculty - Easy.

Find out where these images lead you to? One or more of the images may have double clue. Please explain how you connected most images if not all.

Please send your answers either in the spoilers or through private message. Extra credit for interesting clues.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  3. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

Of all things I could dig up and read about Muziris, something trivial catches my fancy big time.

The term "Yavana" in early Indian literature meant a foreigner. Pepper was their favorite commodity to trade, yep, so it also came to be colloquially called 'Yavanapriya' [யவனப் பிரியா] in the Sangam period that roughly translates as "their beloved". I wasn't aware of this indo-greek history behind that Tamil name. Think if ever again I may see/read/hear/happen to meet someone with that name, will definitely recollect the puzzle! : )

Had fun solving it, thank you.

4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I am enjoying reading how everyone's mind sees the same images so differently. : ) Periyar and Port were the clincher. Those were the only two keywords needed to crack this puzzle.

I hadn't heard of Muziris before I started making this puzzle. I came across it while searching for puzzle ideas. While I remember learning about the trading routes between India and the West, I don't remember being taught about Muziris and other such ports specifically. One article I read mentioned Malabar peppercorns being found in the mummified remains of Egyptian Pharaohs!! When I make a puzzle my goal is for it to be illuminating for the solver - both as a journey of discovery and the final payoff. I hope everyone learned something new from this one. I sure did!

Lol, Viswa! That is quite the leap. I did not know Periyar considered Tamils Barbarians! I will have to look this up. My clues almost always contain simple linear connections. Ship -- containers -- trade -- port -- harbor. If I make tricky clues, I promise I will give you guys plenty of warning.

Thank you Deepthy! I suppose Erode is a fair guess for the stamp image. I hope the Babylonian Math tablet was worth the effort. :grinning: Perhaps a math-related puzzle is in your future! ; )

I knew someone would make the connection instantly. Not surprised it is you! : ) I read that Indian Express article too. It game me lots of ideas about formulating the puzzle!

Ha ha! I knew someone would try to study the history of the cargo ship based on its name. I'm sorry if I made you run around in circles! :grin:

Ohh, that would have made another fun puzzle!

Of course, my traveler friend figured out the Santorini clue! : ) Glad you found this instructive! I stress-test my puzzles by plugging in different combinations of keywords in google. I try to make sure there are enough combinations for which the answer pops up somewhere on the first page of results. The 3 Ps were best keywords in this case -- Pepper, Periyar and Port!

Thanks for playing folks!

5. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

Hmmm, you gotta pay me the royalties, you know, to use that! :lol:

Glad you edited and included that. I kinda logged in just to object otherwise. :sweatsmile: I have disabled PM and I only use the spoiler tag when I'm not sure myself. I prefer hints; unrevealing ones, of course. :innocent:

Thyagarajan and Gauri03 like this.
  6. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

is it related to 1893 speech

Viswamitra likes this.
  7. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

That's a neat connection! Yavana in Sanskrit literature was used to denote Greek speakers. Later it became associated with the Muslim invaders. Yunani or Unani medicine, the traditional medicine practiced by the Muslim cultures of South Asia get their name from the same Sanskrit Yavana, and their fundamental principles are derived from the Greek system of medicine which was adopted and expanded by Persian and Arabic cultures. Fascinating how interconnected the globe was in ancient times even without modern travel and communication!

Thyagarajan, jskls and Kohvachn like this.
  8. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

yavana beauties were commonly referred to egyptian beauties in literary pieces. came to know about it from Velpari book another classic one. Yavana also meant youth.

Thyagarajan, Kohvachn and Viswamitra like this.
  9. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

Musiri, along with the secondary port Tondi/Thondi/Tyndis in the east coast are referred together in regional history under the Cheras kingdom topic.
    nice, I was only more familiar with the Korkai port.
    Just started the audiobook a few days back. You got me more interested now! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    jskls and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Enroute to resolve puzzle, it is delectable to read their text and the ramifications of thinking they suffered and enjoyed by players.