Let's Fire Up Those Neurons!

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Are you hopelessly addicted to the pursuit of asking and answering obscure questions? Is your mind crammed full of weird little factoids that no normal person need ever know? Are you a trivia night legend at your local pub? During television game shows, do you find yourself shouting the answer at the screen while clutching the remote like a buzzer? Then you've found your home on IL.

This thread will be structured like a trivia quiz but the goal is to foster fun and illuminating discussions on all things trivia. The format is simple. A clue will be presented in the form of an image, with one or more accompanying questions. While you may choose to supply a one or two word response, nothing wrong in that, a more verbose reply providing context to the answers, and perhaps additional trivia will be much appreciated. It will also help us escape the dreaded 'game' thread tag.

A note on honesty in online quizzes:

All participants of this thread will be expected to adhere to the honor code. Simply put, you are answerable only to your own conscience. While it is impossible to regulate the extent to which Google may be used to arrive at the answer, let's just say that if you have found your answer by conducting a reverse image search then "YES, THAT IS CHEATING". For all our sakes, please don't do that. Aside from a bunch of digital likes, there are no prizes or points for the right answer. If you do choose to cheat, may Alex Trebek haunt your dreams!

Jey, kaniths, Cool10 and 16 others like this.

2. Gauri03

Let's start with something that was in the news recently. Here's a comic strip that you'd find in your Sunday funnies section. Libby is a nom de plume. Who is libby in real life? Additional context and personal anecdotes are always welcome.

strip1.jpg

1 person likes this.
  3. Gauri03

Clue: This strip marks the brief return of a legendary cartoonist after almost two decades of retirement.

1 person likes this.
  4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

It is interesting to remember that what is a 'Trivial Pursuit' in the US is the domain of many a 'Mastermind' in the UK!

Google is the ideal repository for trivia, while masterminds require those neurons to be firing on all cylinders - but who can tell the difference online?

Good luck with the thread, hope it grows into a Leviathan, hope the 'Total Depravity of Man' (or woman!) does not lead to a 'war of all against all' instigated by the Google cheaters.

Who is Alex Trebek?

4 people like this.
  5. Gauri03

Not sure why, but I always assumed you were from this side of the pond. Jeopardy is to American trivia geeks what Mastermind is to the UK. Alex Trebek is the host of Jeopardy.

Clever answer! :mrgreen:

For the few still playing, who haven't deciphered Soka's answer, look around you. Scroll up and down the page. His artwork is all over it, and I don't mean the strip itself.

6. sokanasanah

I am. The question was an 'inside' joke, a tad confusing for our friends in Hindoostan* I should think. My original intent was to say, buzzer in hand:

"Trivial Pursuit for $300!"
    "The American equivalent of Magnus Magnusson."

... and then, since I had already laid it on pretty thick with the rest of the post, I simply left it implied.

As you might guess, I am rather easily amused.

_____________________________________________________________________-

*Perhaps not? There may be some archived 'Jeopardy!' episodes on Youtube!

1 person likes this.
  7. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

I don't know why Soka was condescending on us mortals this time with his formatting of font. Usually, his clues to crack are more cryptic than content !

1 person likes this.
  8. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

So that is solved?

If not for my Zite feed these days, I would never have known anything about Libby holding the man in the strip upside-down in croc's jaws, or is that reversed !

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  9. sokanasanah

.... because, I have been burned!
    Owners of said neurons have taken to not doing their assigned homework.
    They don't make them IL procrastinators like they used to no more!
    This current crop is actually interested in getting work done and paying attention at meetings with the pointy-headed boss droning on -sheeessh. :roll:

10. Gauri03

I'm considering this one solved. Alright everyone (or the three people following this thread) the answer is,

BILL WATTERSON

The legendary creator of Calvin & Hobbes. The comic strip featured in the original question is 'Pearls Before Swine', whose creator is Stephan Pastis. The little girl Libby (Lib) is a play on Bill, who got together with Pastis to draw three strips for Pearls Before Swine.

Bill Watterson retired from drawing cartoon strips nearly two decades ago and is famously reclusive. So his return to cartooning, albeit brief, was a great coup for Pastis. The story of how the collaboration came to be is posted on Stephan Pastis' blog (
    here). It's a fun read.

I don't think I need to expound upon my love for C&H. The fact that I've had the same avatar since I joined IL is testament enough.

kaniths likes this.