Let us accept the inevitable! – Bhagavad Gita Verses 2.25, 2.26, 2.27

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jan 31, 2008.

1. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Dear Chith

You have explained very well. Week after week the atma part is getting clearer. we know sometimes grieving is a waste but still that we are so much tuned to that grieving to come out of it becomes very hard at times. But atleast keeping these things in mind helps a lot. Let me accept what I cannot change. But again there arises a confusion which can be changed and which cannot be changed?

Love
    Vidhi

2. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithra,
    Another Enlightening post on atma and anatma! Culture posts are becoming need of the hour for obvious reasons.
    Your explanation is lucid.
    Grieving and about accepting the unavoidable fact, both being the toughest to achieve, I believe at the most understanding of these two makes a start.Realising the "self" is a long journey though atleast for me,i'm sure if i read these posts from you after some years,it's going to help me climb the ladder to find a way to salvation.
    Thanks Chithra for showing us the path.

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vidhi,
    That the atma part is getting clearer makes me happy.
    Here, the reference to
    which can be changed and which cannot be changed
    is mainly about death.
    We know not where we were before - now we know we are here-and after death, we do not know where we will go.This is something wich we can never find out, but still we despair.
    I hope you understand the reference, Vidhi.
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. Chitvish

Dear Aishu,
    Thanks for joining here regularly - that is very important for a clear understanding, not my explanation !
    Having come to life, we have no right to complain against the very nature of life - a continuous stream of births & deaths ! Such a complaint is an inexcusable delusion, says Krishna.He is showing the path, which I just write here, Aishu !
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear C

This is a great consolation post for a grieving person. I understand no loss nor no failure qualifies to be worthy of grief. When we say we should accept that which we cannot change, does the Satya of life and birth whirl the only unchangable fact or every life situation we encounter? Because, if we apply this is to every life situation, then we will not try to change anything and there would be no progress.

I really liked your comparison of our life to a flicker. How very true - an ego-taming fact lucidly said as usual. Also, the word's of Swami Chinmayananda clarifies the point. How very well he has said. Thanks for aptly placing it here for us to read.

-Gayathri.

6. Chitvish

Dear Gayathri,
    Diturbed and undisturbed - both are born of perception. They are all mind's expressions. But the atma within, neither prceives, nor deceives, butis a silent witness through all our births !
    I like the following quote of Swami Chinmayananda also:

In the darkness of ignorance, we attach ourselves to the unreal and the fleeting.
    In the light of knowledge, we identify ourselves with the real and permanent.

Thank, Gayathri.
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. madhu11

madhu11 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Mrs. C,

:wowwhat a lovely post on atma and inevitable. That we should just accept the situations without grieving. so, I am thinking here the choices we make whether if it turns good or bad. we should face the consequences by our choice and not grieve. Is this correct? love, Madhu

8. Chitvish

Dear Madhu,
    You are very correct.
    In your last part, you have almost arrived at Karma Yoga, which we will take up shortly, Madhu !
    Thanks for joining us here.
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Chithra,

Thru this post u really led us to Accept the Inevitable. What apt titles u r giving....and loved the simple explanations you are giving for the otherwise complicated verses.
    I liked the way u compared atma and anatma to electricity and bulb.....very true and apt!
    But all said and done it is Tough.....if we have to stop grieving, then we have to stay unattached. If it is so , why do we have to go thru the different motions and emotions in this world!?:idontgetit: I always felt that if we stay so uninvolved then why bother about all those ACTIONS which cause these grieving...
    I know you will lead us to this explanation also which i am sure is in Gita....so will wait patiently. just thought of jotting down my thought processes!
    Thanks for the wonderful post and the fbs......

10. Chitvish

Dear Sudha,
    Thanks for all the nice words.Let me frankly admit that a dear friend helped me select this title . So I dedicate the praise to him (without lapping it all up!).
    Please remember, I am just reproducing what I learn in class - nothing is my original contribution.I am writing what I have been learning, in my own words.
    "stop grieving" will come only ultimately, but atleast we must start thinking of the futility of grieving.As I always write, awareness is the first step. Let us start doing that.
    Your & others' FBs make me feel, all the time & effort, I spend for these posts is worth.
    Love,
    Chithra.