1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Let’s All Be A Pencil

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by anukarsha, Apr 22, 2010.

1. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends!
    This incident happened some three years back. Me and my family were buying tickets of a movie at a multiplex. Suddenly a teen aged boy came up to me and said Ms. (In Mumbai all school going children call their teachers as miss), I’ve become a sensible pencil. I didn’t understand what he was saying, obviously I was in a different frame of mind. I gave him a strange puzzled look. Then he said, that he was from a school where I went as a guest for their Annual Day Celebrations. And there I told this story of a pencil, which he loved very much and is applying in his day to day behavior.
    In every function once the program is over, there is a ritual, the guest is supposed to speak a few words. When I was in school some guests spoke for almost an hour and we would literally get bored, so I keep this in mind and instead of giving long, boring speeches, I tell them nice short stories. The kids enjoy the speech and at the same time they learn something too. So in his school I told this story from a book of Paulo Coelho which I love like anything. It goes like this:
    A granny tells the story of a pencil to her grandson;
    She tells a pencil has five qualities. If you absorb those, your life would be peaceful. The qualities are:
    The first one- You might be capable of doing great things but never forget that there is a hand which guides you and we call him God.
    The second one- Every now and then you have to stop writing because you got to sharpen the pencil. In the process it may suffer a bit but this painful process makes it quite sharper later. So are you. To become a better person, you also have to suffer a bit.
    The Third one- A pencil always allows us to use eraser. That means life gives us opportunities to correct us on the path of life which keeps us on a path of justice. Rub out mistakes and move forward.
    The Fourth one- What really matters in a pencil is not its exterior but the lead( graphite) inside. So are you. Your inner self matters more than your outer appearance. So always pay attention to what’s going on within you.
    The Fifth (the last but not the least) one - It always leaves a mark. Same way when you do something, you too leave a mark. So be careful of every action you take.
    And after this, I generally put a remark that “All of you try to be a sensible pencil and leave only positive mark on everybody’s heart”.
    That’s why this boy said, ”I’ve become a sensible pencil”.
    So friends are you all ready to become a pencil, err, a sensible pencil?
    RegsJ

3 people like this.

2. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Beautiful! Your pencil has surely put a mark on me now. Very thoughtful of you to share such wonderful wisdom with kids.

1 person likes this.
  3. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Thank you ma'm for your valuable feedback.regs-anu:)

4. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Hi Anukarsha!

It feels very good to read all your write-ups. What a wonderful nice story that could motivate any child / youngster to foster positive growth in life.

I feel fortunate to have seen this thread.

Great going re!:thumbsup

5. laamadhura

laamadhura New IL'ite

Hai Anu,
    Yours was a very nice story....hope each one of us walk through the path of becoming a sensible pencilBow

Regards,
    Madhu.

6. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

HI ANU...:hiya
    your posts are very motivating.. thanks for reminding us that we at the end of the day being a "sensible pencil" is all that counts as thats the legacy we all will leave behind...
    K

7. parusabari

parusabari Silver IL'ite

Hi dear,

I liked this post very much. So many good things a simple item like pencil conveys to each one of us.

Keep up the good work.

Love,
    Parvathi.

8. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Thanks my dear soldier!actually I am very fortunate to have good people around.please keep boosting my morale so that i can share many more beautiful incidents from my life.regs-anu:)

9. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Thanks my dear madhu for your valuable comment.Please keep reading my posts and provide insights.regs-anu:)

10. aarthi7

aarthi7 Senior IL'ite

anu,
    excellent write up,,the philosophy behind the pencil is truly inspiring..
    keep up the good work.

aarthi