1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lesson I learnt in my kitchen

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by kanaka Raghavan, Nov 14, 2007.

1. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Today began like any other day.My husband left for his office as usual.I had decided to prepare lunch and tiffin together.I had decided to prepare pidi kozhakattai(made out of rice flour and jaggery) and kozhakattai(along with moong dal filling).I had finished preparing rice,vendya kuzambu,rasam,mint chutney.I had put the beetroot curry on the stove.The preparations for kozhakattais were all over.Thinking I was a great expert I decided to put the pidi kozhakatti in microwave!!!!So there it was inside the oven.Then my friend rang up.Allowing these two cook,I took the phone to the hall.Ooops something was burning.Luckily my friend put the phone down.When I went into the kitchen I found jet black beetroot gaping at me.Then when I opened the microwave it was an almost brown kozhakattais stuck to the plate.Scraping the kadai and plate,I soaked both in water.Then I cut beans and made curry.When I turned to the sink it was piles of vessels along with these two to be washed.My managed to finish it.One thing I learnt from my husband.He always used to say do one thing at a time ,do not have things to do at the same time.When you do one at a time You do it better that is what my husband used to say.There was always a big nod from me but it was always back to square now.Now I have resolved to do one at time,let us see..............

2. CharuKaur

CharuKaur Senior IL'ite

Hi Kanaka

Your experience was a nice read :) and its not uncommon with any of us for that matter. But i believe that women are extremely good at multi-tasking while men completely fail at it! Ofcourse, multi-tasking does not mean doing all 'to do' tasks at the same time but whatever is feasible. For instance, when i plan to cook a dal and vegatable curry, my strategy is to put the dal on boil - meanwhile, i can cut the vegetables and begin with the curry preperation. And once the curry is cooking, i get on to preparing the tadka for the dal. i am sure most of us do such time-planning. But if its my husband cooking bonk- only one thing will be happenning at a time: and what i am able to achieve in 40 minutes, he takes more than an hour - not to mention the number of soiled vessels, cluttered slabs etc..

Basically, we women just need to exercise this capability of ours (multi-tasking) with a little caution and 'once in while' disasters are definitely plausible :cheers
    Men cant handle it at all :wink:

Cheers
    Charu..

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kanaka,
    One thing at a time--is OK.
    Thing about and how long it takes to finish one job.
    The above-said mess happens only if we attend a phone-call or chat with someone,
    where we don't notice the time at allbonk
    count me in too for these disasters in my kitchen too, happening now and then:cheers

sriniketan

4. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello All,
    As far with me...Womens are multi tasking.

As soon as I get home, just remove shoes and jacket..
    Dump all the bags .. warm milk for kids .. meanwhile keep ready for cooker...
    while cooker is going on... check kids bag for home works/newsletters and their
    lunch boxes.
    Put off the cooker and change the dress..
    Come downstairs.. while cutting vegetables... help kids with their home work..
    the list goes on..

I have seen my mom doing multiple jobs at same time.

The logic behing multi - tasking, we need to prioritize the work and do them.
    There would be some disaster once in a while, but its OK.

Given same kind of situations.. my husband would take ever to finish the work.

~Punitha

5. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kanaka
    You have written so nicely about our daily occurence. Looks to me you had everything under control when the phone rang which got you distracted. If you had been in the kitchen maybe....

6. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

hai ladies,
    here is my experience, i always plan to finish the cutting of veg in weekend this gives you a vast idea of choice on what you want to make, from beans kari to cabbage or any other veg, and another thing is simmering all gas while cooking this not only helps the food also the flavour gets enhanced, no hurry burry, even if it is for a day, as we put the cooker on a little tamarind in water and some dhall whatever u use all into warm waters and then proceed with the veg, while we are at it, the one whistle cooking for any veg is great, the same procedure of making kari with mustard, urad dhall and chillie and kadipatha and then the veg and some salt and so on, but sprinkle a little water just enough for the salt to melt out and close the pressure pan, one whistle and switch it off, the kari is done, in a few seconds your next venture of sambhar or dhall whatever goes in with rice getting cooked along with any veg u want of that too can wait once the rice over, now make the sambhar it is better to do it in kadai as we want the sambhar veg to be soft but at the same time retain the shape, now once this done a little salad, all these are meticulously done, phone rings, no problem the gas is in sim so no burning anywhere..sunkan

7. Lady1

Lady1 Silver IL'ite

Dear ladies,
    This is my takeaway from watching my mother multi-task:
    Cut veggies while watching shows [TV]; On the first of the month after buying the provisions, & groceries, half prepare needed items, meaning, pare the kariveplai leaves, green coriander leaves, cut onion, ginger etc., to small pieces & store in double plastic bags so that you may just grab a little of this ready-to-use stuff while cooking for a day. Grind sabzi-masala and keep it in a jar in the fridge so that a portion may be readily used for the day's cooking. Also, I never throw away small left-over cooked veggies, I always gather them all and add dhal to make like a sambhar or some such preparation. When I keep a pressure cooker on the stove, I make sure all the valves are clean and clear, the weight properly on, the gasket cooled in the fridge overnight etc. I put 6 potatoes in the bottom, toor dhal in one pot above and mung dhal in another above it. sometimes I may also put a few other pieces of squash or another vegetable that I may need cooked ahead in this tower. This way I have several ingredients cooked utilizing only the one time pressure-cooking. If I am going to make banans or butternut squash, I keep them whole for a light pressure-cooking and the rinds just peel off very easily without damaging or wasting any of the pulp.

I put all my immediately needed spices and powders in clear top boxes and when clear-view top not available, mark the box on top with their name and store in pull-out drawers so that it is very easy to identify & use.

These habits have helped me cook quickly and join the family in activities.
    Another thing I which have picked up from my Mother in law is, keep enough time for clean up after any activity [lunch dinner etc] and leave your kitchen in a condition which will be welcoming for you the next time you need to enter it. For those starting young families, even when you can, you must start including and expecting participation of your entire family in the activity of preparing food, setting the table, clean up etc to the extent anyone can [and believe me, each one can do enough] so that it becomes an enjoyable family activity and not just the woman's chore after a hard day's work at the office. Husbands may slowly find that it is a relaxing thing if they just help in a simple way such as cutting veggies or csraping ginger, etc. while carrying on conversation. Even the littlest kid can clean and place dinner-dishes ready for the family to sit down to eat from. Anyone can bring back utensils from the dining area to the cleaning area. Then everyone can go to watch TV or whatever else together! Not only that, the family will know exactly what it takes to get the dinner to the table [an essential family need] and will not be mystified if unfortunately the mother cannot do it for any reason, temporary or permanent!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  8. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

My dear kanaka,
    How many times the milk would have burnt at my place,you know?With microwave it sould be ok,may be you should apply some oil on the plate in which the kozhakattais wee kept?
    A ny how please very careful in future.I had kept small kadai with little oil for the mustard to splutter,fotgot and the oil had gone uo in flames,my DH giving me murderous looks.

Take care,my dear.
    love
    mithila

9. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Kanaka,

Multitasking can be done,if we are not completely diverted off from a thing.

If I do one job at a time, I think everyday i need to take half day leave:biglaugh

But I too agree, sometimes it ends up in mess.

10. johnydesouza12

johnydesouza12 New IL'ite

Each time I weld on my stove, it can distort. The same goes for all other welding on the inside and the outside before putting back on the doors. It is required to lean on them to make them fit, I will not have to do it again if the string of solder on the stack or firefox.