1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

leftover from kids

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by rashima4u, Mar 4, 2013.

1. rashima4u

rashima4u Silver IL'ite

Hi IL

I want to know what you do with leftover food from your child (age below 5yo).

I have 2 kids (3.5yo,2yo) and it happens many times that they don't finish their food or sometime don't eat at all :rant
    If their food is same as I am supposed to eat (like chapati,daal,khichdi...all normal indian food) then always eat their food but if I have made special food for them like pasta with cream sauce,rivoli....etc which are rather heavy and high calory food and I really don't want to eat that as I do workout on a regular basis and don't want to waste my hardwork by eating this food which I don't like very much.

And I don't like to throw food and also dh is very angry if I throw it.He also can't eat it as he is trying to reduce his weight.

any ideas :hide:

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Americans give it to the family dog.

3. LunaDoveDesigns

LunaDoveDesigns Silver IL'ite

I save it for the next meal/next day. They can usually be convinced to eat it the second time I offer it. I only throw it out if it's more than a few days old, because some of it just doesn't reheat well more than once or twice.

Regarding the family dog - usually he gets to "clean" the plates when the food is gone, but otherwise I have him on a strict diet so he doesn't gain weight or get sick. Sometimes he doesn't even get that, depending on what we had; last thing I need is a sick puppy from being fed something dogs shouldn't eat! (This does not stop him from giving his very best puppy face and begging for food anyway.)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  4. pinky6

pinky6 Platinum IL'ite

try to give them little food......

5. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Nice thread rashima
    Its always better to serve the amount you think your kid will eat.Things like pasta and food which have high calories we might not use it again.So when you prepare such meals make it in lesser quantities and serve also according to kids need.

6. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

Whatever quantity I give my son (9.5 month old), I serve him only half of it. Only if he finishes that do I give him extra..that too 2 tbsp increment. I am also like that..I take vary small servings and serve myself again if I have finished the given quantity, so there is no wastage.

7. Mumtotwo

Mumtotwo Silver IL'ite

I agree with Tuliplady...best to serve 2 to 3 small portions depending on how hungry the kids are. So whatever is not consumed during that meal can be stored in the referigertor to be served at another meal time.

8. rashima4u

rashima4u Silver IL'ite

thanks for your suggestions, I don't have dog and yes I also try to serve them in small quantity that they eat normally............but still sometime its a pain.