Leaving kids in day care doubts?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by vpriya, Feb 9, 2007.

1. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

I need some suggestions or advice from working mothers, I am planning to work and need to look for day care options for my kid. do u prefer indian baby sitting or prefer to drop ur kid in regular day care?
    I have seen many friends sending their kids to indians becos it works cheaper. but are there any other advantages? I know for everyone it is different, depending on their situation but would like to know where u send ur kid and why and how u feel abt it.
    I also want advice on how to manage, any tips would be appreciated. my kid is 2 yrs old. i feel sooo bad and guilty to leave and go to work. feel like cancelling everything and staying at home. did u also feel the same?

2. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Re: leaving kids in day care dbts?

Hi Priya,

I am a working mother with almost 19 months daughter. I am currently leaving my daughter with an indian babysitter from past 11 months, but from this March, I have enrolled her into a proper daycare centre. I felt that when the kids are too young, its good to leave them with indian babysitter..they won't enjoy that much at a daycare when they are young, all they need is more love and personal attention. But now at almost 2yrs, I feel that my daughter needs more interaction with other kids of her age, even if its costlier than leaving her at the indian babysitter. Afterall why are we both parents working...to give our kids best environments for their learning..right?

I felt leaving a kid with indian babysitter has some dis-advantages, like there will be restrictions on their playing, running, not many planned activities like painting, singing etc. In a daycare center, children are free to explore everything around...and the environment is safe for that too.
    I personally feel that after around 2yrs of age, children do need that exploring and self learning options.

Also don't feel guilty about leaving the kid.....they sure can learn a lot of things at a daycare. Initially I know it will be stressful for both the mother and the kid until they get well adjusted to the daycare routine. Later when you see that your kid is really happy in a daycare...you will feel very good about your choice. The only dis-advantage I see with a daycare is - children get sick often and you will have to take off from work...not much flexibitly there like with a indian babysitter. But its ok as we ourselves will feel bad about sending them there when our child is sick.

-Sihi

3. shubhavasudevan

shubhavasudevan Senior IL'ite

Hi priya

saw your post and thought I would share my views abt day care as I am working in a day care for a couple of years now. I live in Canada.

It is difficult for any mother to leave their kids in someone's care other than your own. But it helps a lot for the kid in their overall development. The disadvantages of leaving in a day care are first the child will fall sick quite frequently at the beginning. But it is natural as it happens when the child goes to school for the first time too. It will develop immunity over the time. The child may get hurt from other kids but it is part of growing.

The advantages are the child's development will be very good. There will be so many toys to play with in the day care and they also teach many things which we sometimes are not aware. The child also learns some good habits like sharing, getting into a routine etc.

There are few things you have to look into before you decide on a day care. Visit a few day care centres near your home or work place where you want to leave your child. Spend a few hrs in each daycare and see how the staff behave with the children, how the children react toward each other etc. Also ask the day care abt their policies like fees for parttime, full time, can you visit the day care any time and so on. If they are providng lunch or snack to kids ask abt the menu. Most important is ask about the child staff ratio i.e. how many children to one staff. There are limitations on how many kids a staff can take care according to the child's age. IF you decide on a day care ask few parents who leave their kids in that day care abt the place. These are all very important.

THough I live in a small town our day care has the best facility and always there are waiting list for admission. THE kids get so attached to us and they don't want to go home. If you need more info please feel free to mail. I will be too glad to help you.

regards
    shubha.

4. wfsmurthy

wfsmurthy New IL'ite

HI Priya,
    I perfectly agree with sihi, that kids do need outing & playing with other kids. I'm sure you will feel good about your decision as a working mother. Only when they get sick you will find options like either take off or work from home (if there is an option).
    HTH
    Sandhya

5. Vidya Arun

Vidya Arun Senior IL'ite

Priya

My son is 3 now and he has been going to daycare since he was 4 months. I used to feel exactly the same way, but over a period of time i really understood the difference in my son's development. Shubha was very right, they get to learn a lot of things when exposed to a group of like aged kids. Falling sick happens but eventually we get used to coping with it and most times even treating it as you get experienced. But sure they gain immunity over a period of time.

Whether its Indian or American daycare, please make sure you send your kid to a registered daycare center since they have certain norms that they should follow. The security of the child comes first. The thing i like our regular daycare is the caretakers there do not have any other work other than atleast sitting in that room and watching those kids. his way at the end of the day we dont get big surprises.

Eventually its all about your comfort level. As shubha said visit and talk to daycare centers and select which one pleases your mind.

Hope this helps.

Vidya

1 person likes this.
  6. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Hi Priya,

You have got all the good points from previous posts. THough its hard dont feel guilty abt leaving the kid in daycare.. 2yrs is real good time to be in daycare..Will get to interact with lot of kids & would become more socialized.
    Ofcourse they will get sick but thats the case with school too..

My son is in daycare from 6 months., I feel that he learnt lot of things from daycare. In home daycare there are not much options...But the point of view differs from each and everyone..In my opinion for a toddler daycare center would be much better.

:)

7. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

Thankyou sooo much!

Thanks to everyone! As i read all the posts i am feeling so emotional and have been for the past few days, just sharing my feelings! as per all of ur suggestions i will check out the options here. AS u all say kids enjoy with other kids and learn a lot when they are out rather than being at home. thanks soo much. Wish me luck plss.
    Regards
    Priya.