Learn a new (English) word

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by sofiz, May 16, 2010.

1. sofiz

sofiz Senior IL'ite

Thanks for the word zingy.

Here's my sentence:
    His remarkable cognizance and amiable nature made him very popular amongst his colleagues.

2. kuccoo

kuccoo New IL'ite

just put out the differences between amiable and amicable

3. sofiz

sofiz Senior IL'ite

Amiable is used to describe people or expressions and means “appearing pleasant, agreeable, and friendly”: an amiable mood, an amiable smile.

Amicable is used to describe arrangements or agreements and means “showing friendly goodwill”: The two sides reached an amicable agreement. They settled their differences in an amicable manner.

Amiable refers for example to someone's personality and suggests a friendly and pleasant manner - in a sense likeable. Amicable refers to things like arrangements and agreements that are favourable to both sides in the agreement or arrangement. You can come to an amicable agreement with someone where you and the other person both benefit without anything actually being written down. It's a sort of favourable deal

You may find difficulty to differentiate between the two words in those cases when amicable is applied to people, in the meaning:
    amicable - Characterized by or exhibiting friendliness or goodwill; friendly. (c)

It would be better to avoid the word amicable to describe a person. Amicable would have to refer to things like attitude, arrangement, behaviour, approach but not with direct reference to the person.

Another word with similar meaning to amiable is affable.
    Affable
    1. Easy and pleasant to speak to; approachable.​
    2. Gentle and gracious​
    an affable smile.​

References: Englishtest.net, Wordmaster - Tradition & Transformation

4. zingy

zingy Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Positive words for a Positive difference (One Word A Day)

One word a day (May 25 2010)
    ERUDITE

Adjective :
    Having or showing profound knowledge; "a learned jurist"; "an erudite professor"
    Synonyms:learned

Noun: erudition
    profound scholarly knowledge
    Synonyms: encyclopaedism, encyclopedism, eruditeness,

learnedness,learning, scholarship
    Adverb:eruditely ; "he talked eruditely about Indian mythology"
    Synonyms:learnedly

Usage:
    The erudite gentleman in whom I confided congealed before I was half through
    But rather than chronologically write about this search, Giscombe eruditely riffs back and forth across time and terrain

References
    www.dictionary.reference.com
    www.thefreedictionary.com

5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello ladies,

Thank you for starting an interesting vocabulary thread. Would it be possible for you to provide more real world and ordinary examples of the words you discuss? The dictionary examples are available on the Internet and can be accessed through the references that you provide in your post. It would help the other members reading this thread to learn the usage of the words through simpler, more ordinary sentences about everyday things.

Thanks!
    Gauri

6. zingy

zingy Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

unassailable
    Adjective
    1.immune to attack; incapable of being tampered with; "an impregnable fortress";
    Synonyms: impregnable, unattackable, inviolable, secure, strong
    2.impossible to assail
    Synonyms: untouchable
    3.without flaws or loopholes; "an ironclad contract"; "a watertight alibi"; "a bulletproof argument"
    Synonyms: bulletproof, unshakable, watertight

Usage:
    Just a couple of months ago Mumbai Indian's IPL Win looked virtually unassailable

References
    www.dictionary.reference.com
    www.thefreedictionary.com

7. sofiz

sofiz Senior IL'ite

Nice to know there are appreciators. I was initially put down by the small amount of participants here. I hope everyone who visits the thread would share their own sentence using the word of the day.

I'm no expert in English, so I dont try to define the chosen by myself. I use references for definitions, but I always make it a point to post my own sentences using the chosen word of the day. When I started the thread, I was hoping everyone who visits it would post their usage of the chosen word

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  8. sofiz

sofiz Senior IL'ite

It would be an honour if had someone with erudition of the English language following this thread

Being influenced by negative criticism to bring out the better is more acceptable than being completely unassailable to it.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  9. sofiz

sofiz Senior IL'ite

New word: embezzle

Meaning: to appropriate (as property entrusted to one's care) fraudulently to one's own use

Sentence: Sadly, it's quite common for leased land users to embezzle the property from the government in Kerala.

10. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Don't be disheartened Sofiz. I am sure many members are benefiting from your efforts on this thread. I personally follow it regularly.

Also I wasn't asking you to define the words yourself, just to construct sentences using simpler more accessible examples. But I see that you and Zingy are already doing that, so the point is moot.