1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Leap Frog learning DVDs

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Traveller, May 26, 2008.

1. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

I'm not sure where the dvds are available in India. May be you should check in Landmark (in chennai)... in Pune no idea... sorry! i would think any big bookshop must be able to guide you.

latha

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Just wanted to update this thread with some info - if you live outside the US please be aware that DVD formats vary region-wise and a DVD intended for an American player may not work in an Indian/other player (even if the players are all made by the same multi national). I was thinking abt asking a relative to get a Leapfrog DVD from the US for me and discovered this bit of information from Amazon. I dont know if it will play on a PC though.

Vanathi.

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

V, just figure out if your player is a region free player. DH did get some sesame street stuff - big fans here, the DH I mean :rotfl. It does work.

4. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

And how do I do that?

V.

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Ours says so on the user manual... just check this site for additional info.

6. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

One of DH's friends in India had a baby recently and bought a ton of baby DVDs from here. I remember him saying something about needing to convert from NTSC to PAL (since US uses NTSC)and India uses PAL. I'll check with my DH and let you know - but you should be able to play it on computers DVD drives.

7. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Vanathi,

The leap frog i ordered from amazon doesn't work in our dvd but perfectly well on the laptop. The region stuff is mentioned in the user manual of our dvd player. I'd love to know how to convert this though...

Latha

8. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Latha, I think all India grocery shop does that conversion in US.They charge some fee for doing that.I believe if you get from ebay it will work in India because they specifically say it works in Asia.
    Thanks
    Mangai

9. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

I went and checked both our DVD players and they both say Region 5 so an American DVD is not going to work. Thanks Krithi, Sindhu, Latha and Mangai.

Latha - so it does work on a pc - good :)

Anyway i asked for something else instead. I have a couple of aunts dues to visit in December, maybe I'll ask one of them and play it on our desktop.

V.

10. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Okay - so here are some more details courtesy of DH

There are 3 DVD formats - NTSC, PAL and SECAM. Most PAL players (Indian) should play NTSC discs fine but some don't. The option is to either get a NTSC-PAL converter or play it on the PC. I don't know availability of the converter in India, but in US it is very expensive, so apparently the better solution is to have a friend get you an American DVD player.

Region is a different thing - the world is divided into 9 regions or so - and discs produced in one region cannot be played in another. However if you have a region free player you can play discs from any region.

Region and Format are two different things.