1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lawrence Olivier as Richard III and Utpal Dutt

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ojaantrik, Feb 22, 2010.

1. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

@ Kamal

Very innovative ideas. But unlike you, I am a cynical economist. A total non-believer. Whatever you do to tax rates, however simple you make them, the fact will remain that corrupt people will remain corrupt. And you know what? Those diamond cards will be available for sale in the black market too.

Too many people have been too corrupt for too long in this country. And I doubt that we can ever get out of the mess. Eliminate corruption and you are there.

And, in my opinion, the best way to irradicate corruption is to educate people. It's my pet idea now. There is only one kind of economic development. Education. Not in the sense of nuclear science, but in the sense of ability to read to the newspaper. If we had a country with more than a billion people where everyone could at least read the newspaper, we would have solved all our problems. Corruption, povery, lack of development. You name them.

Instead we spend on atomic bombs and nuclear powered submarines. Tomorrow's (Wednesday) programme is on the defence budget. I hope I don't get into an arugument with the people from the military establishment.

Anyway, we'll see.

All the best.

oj

2. ojaantrik

@ mindi

I agree with you. Utpal Dutt was one of my favourites too. Particularly so since I was exposed to his genius at a very impressionable age. I can't forget his classes. Each one was a lesson in acting. I know how much I owe to him. I was a horribly bad student. But for him, I would probably have ended up as a rickshaw puller. He inspired me so much that I started taking all my lessons seriously!

And of course, I have watched all the movies that you mention. Incomparable acting skill. It was this same man though who taught us to appreciate Sir Lawrence and other great theatre personalities.

oj-da

3. ojaantrik

@ Cheeniya

Fortunately, I have seen Sleuth too. Now that both Kamal and you mention it, I will go and search for it in Music World. May be they have a copy. That movie is simply unforgettable. Two towering personalities in the acting world interacting with one another!

Peter O'Toole too is one of my favourites. Have you watched Becket (O'Toole and Burton) and The Lion in Winter (O'Toole and Katherine Hepburn). Once you have watched those performances, you know that you have been very lucky indeed.

I have seen all the Utpal Dutt movies you mention. They were examples of great performance. Include Naram Garam too, won't you. His style was so unique and they made good use of him in Mumbai. Of course, he was a Mrinal Sen favourite, Bhuban Shome! That's what launched him into filmdom I think. But he gave superb performances in a few Satyajit Ray movies too. They were all Bengali films.

NewsX is fun I guess. They have these short programmes and enjoy them. In long programmes, people tend to speak too much. I am a little worried about tomorrow's Defence Expenditure programme. They know my view on the subject and I know that's the reason they want me there. I could get into an argument with people from the Defence Establishment I guess. But I will face it. My conscience needs me to speak out on this.

I never wear suits. Not even when I am abroad. And this is India. I would never ever wear a suit for a TV panel. The studios know about this and they don't expect me in any other garb.

Thanks for watching. By the way, I am happy that you liked the Olivier piece. Incidentally, it's available on u-tube. If I can find it, I will send you the link over email.

oj

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  4. ojaantrik

@ TL

Yes, you know him quite well. As Cheeniya says, he is just the casual next door man. Avuncular probably, but hardly the Don!! Wizardry of OJ, ha, ha... excellent one my dear, dear Ekalavya. My days are numbered no doubt. But I will die with the ultimate sense of satisfaction. I found a young student who'll rise to stardom. If you stick to it, even if this is hard with the little baby to attend to, you have little idea where you are headed. But I know!! So does Cheeniya I think.

And you have guessed correctly. I am the same one who rambles in the loo! Hopefully with more finesse than I ramble in NewsX. I like this channel, because their programmes are short and to the point. Tomorrow is scheduled for the Defence Budget. Last year, I literally delivered a long tirade against the way money is wasted on buying sophisticated weapons, all in the name of protecting our country from foreign aggression. In truth, there is a nexus with foreign arms producers. We make atom bombs, send machines to the moon, when the majority of people don't know how to even read and write their names. What kind of development are we headed for? We can't build hospitals for the masses, but go for moon missions. What kind of luxury is this? At whose expense?

Did I smile? Really? I must remember to end up with a smile tomorrow too, unless they make me very grumpy. Shweta Bajaj knows my opinion quite well and, if she is around, she might try to get my views out for public hearing.

Yes, figures are important. I have to do a bit of homework on defence for tomorrow.

Hope all goes well.

All the best.

oj-da

5. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Dear OJ da!

WOW that feels very new to address you this way :).

9.30pm India time is late at my end too, so have not
    watched the prog on the net. Like Mindi asked, is there
    a repeat of this webcast anytime later?? Just curious
    thats all. Well my intentions to see you is not because
    I would like to see the prog for its content. Economics
    is something very remote to my understanding. Like they
    say in Tamizh - Aeni vechhal kooda ettadu (Meaning: would
    never reach even with a ladder). But ever since I had
    read the post Romeo, I had expressed the wish to listen to
    you for the British accent that your dear friend had talked
    about in her letter ( I think I had mentioned that in the
    feedback too ). Just a silly wish thats all.

I am not too much into serious reading like you either. But
    Utpal Dutt is certainly not a stranger and I remember you
    mentioning it on another post too that he used to be your
    teacher. He is a fantastic performer. Must have been quite
    an experience for you. Do you laugh heartily like him too!?? :).

After reading Ekalavya's reply, I googled you and found
    a link where it had your picture on it and yes in that too
    you appeared smiling, sitting behind a desk maybe.
    Very casual shot and quite nice. Good luck with your
    defence budget talk tonight!

6. ojaantrik

@ k2s

Thanks friend. I have always avoided formalities. Except for very formal occasions, I have never even worn a suit or a tie. During my first trip to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Japan</st1:place></st1:country-region>, I couldn't avoid it, for all my colleagues went to classes formally dressed. But second time onwards, I gave it up. I teach my way, you do whatever you wish to do. In US and <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Canada</st1:place></st1:country-region> too, I did have to succumb to formalities initially, but then I gave up. Of course, for job interviews, I couldn't risk being informally dressed.

Given my preference for light-hearted informality, it is natural that I like the oj-da form more than the other alternatives. On the other hand, I can understand how strange it sounds to a non-Bengali speaker. But here at IL, it appears that most of the I'Lites who interact with me have now gotten used to it.

Oh yes, each class used to be a special experience. A great actor, interested in school teaching, is a rare animal in fact. And, on top of it all, his erudition was mind boggling. He was an avid reader too. I was very lucky to have him as my teacher.

The picture you located, if I was wearing a black shirt, was taken in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Kobe</st1:City>, <st1:country-region w:st="on">Japan</st1:country-region></st1:place> in a conference hall during lunch recess. Regarding British accent, you must have noticed what Tubelight had to say:

This girl is remarkably observant and sensitive.

All the best.

oj-da

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear OJ,

it was wonderfuil to watch u yesterday live on News X, and i will watch u on the 24th and the 25th too.

You were marvellous, and i called Cheeniya, to remind him to watch u, and harsha too watched with me.

Agreed corruption is bad, and it eats into everything, like termite.But like Manmohan Singh did as the finance minister in the early nineties,he changed the face of the nation, for the better, without disturbing the corruption, and the political setup, which i think, no one else had the guts to do.

We cannot wish corruption away for sure, it is there in every country.

and i read about yr defence thing, i agree , there is a nexus between the arms manufacturers, and these guys.None of these expensive gadgets can save us from 26/11, or the pune blasts, and i keep reading, that they bought the guns byut forgot to buy the bullets.Strange thigns kep happening.

Just be diplomatic, why get in a scrabble with the politicians, but will watch u , and raise a toast to u then.

Have a great week OJ,

and yes about movies, let me tell u, i have seen Becket, with Peter O toole, he is one of my favourite actors, what acting in Becket with Richard Burton, the king and his poor friend.This was copied in Hindi, Namak Haram, with Amitabh and Rajesh Khanna, directed by Hrishikesh Mukherjee, and what a movie that was too.

peter's other movies too are too good.Lawrence of Arabia, and have u seen this movie, called "THE NIGHT OF THE GENERALS" with Omar Sharif.what a movie, what a movie, he overshadowed Omar completely.

I am a great fan of his, too good he is.

Regards

kamal

8. ojaantrik

@ kamal

I am not sure yet if I shall be there on the 24th. But I will be participating tonight, 23rd, on a programme relating to excessive defence expenditure. I am preparing for it now. Will write again later on.

Best.

oj