1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Last name: husband's or father's?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by chaaral, Aug 20, 2013.

1. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I have been wondering about the changing last name after marriage. since we apply for passport before marriage( atleast in my case) i continued with my dad's name. now dh says to change last name it is a long process.
    in usa everything is in my maiden name and in india my fil changed everything to husband's last name.( bank accounts)
    now problems arise due to pan card, and other proof of id etc. too much of confusion and i wanted to know what do you do?
    what have you done? what last name did u use for US accounts etc and India accounts. for applying pan card or other such govt issued cards.
    Thanks,
    Chaaral

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Changing your name in the US immigration system is a nightmare! I still use my maiden name for everything. Anywhere that a proof of marriage is required, my marriage certificate is enough.

3. anjananathan

anjananathan Platinum IL'ite

I have always used father's name as my last name..

I had to renew my passport recently. So I included my DH name in spouse column.. that's all.. even I feel marriage certificate is enough when proof is required..

4. soumya234

soumya234 Platinum IL'ite

As anjananathan said you can add your DH's name in Spouse column. Check Indian Embassy website for your area and it'll give the required documents' list to be submitted along with the fees.

5. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Thankyou Ladies. one more question.... my kids last name is my hubby's firstname.( thats how it will be for me too but i am having my dad's name as my last name)
    so the kids, me and dh have diff last name . sometimes it is soo confusing when filling documents especially in US. when i email the teachers, or in doc office. the next question is do we live in the same house.
    then i need to give an explanation yes but we just have diff last names etc....

is it the same for you too? i mean kid's last name diff from urs and dh?

6. geetha mahesh

geetha mahesh Bronze IL'ite

I still use my maiden surname and my baby has my husbands surname...however officials here are confused ...as in American culture they go by husbands surnames..

7. Soulsong

Soulsong Silver IL'ite

Even i use my maiden name..since i got my passport done even before i got married. My daughter has my hubby's name as her last name. I agree officials in US get confused when we have all different last names. Many a times my hubby has to explain to them and that irritates him.
    next year i have to get my passport renewed,at newyork....i am planning to get my last name changed to my husbands name.. I have heard its a long process, can anyone guide me through this. Is it worth changing it now?