1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Last child syndrome

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by kiranmadhu, Jun 23, 2010.

1. kiranmadhu

kiranmadhu Senior IL'ite

Thanks for your advice priya.
    I don't crib all the time. Even the strongest, most positive people do crib sometimes.
    At the end of the day, we all do our work ourselves.
    Anyways, i will take a note of your advice.

2. Flora1

Flora1 New IL'ite

Hi Dear,

First a warm hug from me.

I know what you feel. I can relate to you at some level.

As you said it is just a passing phase, so relax and take one day at a time.

You need to give your best to your child, and you cannot do that by being depressed and frustrated. First of all, make yourself happy. Hiring help even for few hours a day would give you some free time. pamper yourself, read, meditate, do a hobby, do anything that makes you happy in that free time. You'll be a much better person to your husband and those bouts of anger and bitterness will flow out of the window. On weekends when your child naps or maid takes care of chores.......... just sit with your DH and clear those misunderstandings. spend time with each other and communicate your feelings.

And about moral support.............. now you know it so pls also accept it that you will not get it from family. I know it hurts when family cannot understand you but your sibling, cause I've been there so I know. Make friends who can relate to you and understand you. socializing releases lot of stress and gives change.

Hope to hear from a cheerful you........

Take care.

3. Dilchahtahai

Dilchahtahai Senior IL'ite

I agree with Flora. BElieve me, I used to think like you. I can do everything myself. But now, I have started outsourcing a lot of things. Like cleaning and vaccuming the house.. And also cooking 2-3 days of week ..
    Believe me, it would take stress of your brain you did not even know existed. We think physical work does not exhaust us and has nothing to do with whats going on mentally with us.. But that's not true.. It does tire you.. and makes you irritable if you do it day in day out every day.. and you feel stressed..
    Just my 2 cents.. Hiring someone to help would actually help u..

4. kiranmadhu

kiranmadhu Senior IL'ite

Flora and DCH,
    Thanks for your understanding words.
    i am thinking of hiring a maid for sweeping, mopping.
    But then, the thing that keeps me going is the house work. It takes my mind off of all the issues concerning DH and me as some work after another will be there to do. And when i clean the house and see it spic and span, it gives me immense self satisfaction. So am worried about losing that little satisfaction i get.

5. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Madhu,

I don't know where you are living in USA or India.
    You may be very organised person but just my thoughts.Once you are at home,you see work before your eyes all the time 24/7.
    I would suggest,have some routine and leave the house every day with your kid or register your kid in some play school or find some interst for yourself or focus something on which you like.I beleive that's what you laking here and that's they frustation.
    Atleast 80% women depressed with young kids and taking care of kid and home 24/7 which we not used for it before.So find what causing you depressed and do nessasary.Find some friends,go to movie or do something which makes you happy.Once you are happy then you can take any load or burden on you.

My friend who never thought of doing any job in her life and wanted to be a housewife.But with 2 kids she is frustated so much at home and finally she decided to start a job and she found a job and out her kids in day care.Then she started enjoying her life more now before.

So it's challenging,especially if you don't have husband who don't understand your pain.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Madhu, I haven't experienced motherhood yet so I am not sure how exactly taxing taking care of a baby can be. But from what I hear from my sister and friends, babies can take your 24 hours and more if they can :). That's what makes them babies.
    The only thing I can come up with is that you need sometime alone with your husband. I think after you have a baby you get so exhausted by EOD that you hardly have any patience to sit and spend time with DH after the baby falls asleep. Like many suggested here, you will need the "zing" going even after a baby. When DH is not thinking about bring it back, why dont you try and initiate something special to get the communication going?

7. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Keep a maid pronto and most of your troubles will vanish . You will feel less exhausted and fresh . Its very taxing to take care of a baby and do all the housework.
    Even my mom and ILs were no more when I got married so you can imagine what I had to go through. There was no one to give advice , like you both me and DH are last born and had a tough time . But I adore my kids !
    Since you had your kid late and were working earlier the arrival of a baby must have been a big transition.
    A part time maid will definitely help you , try one . Lower your standards a bit if you are very fastitious . You will enjoy your baby more and not be exhausted.

8. kiranmadhu

kiranmadhu Senior IL'ite

My friend who never thought of doing any job in her life and wanted to be a housewife.But with 2 kids she is frustated so much at home and finally she decided to start a job and she found a job and out her kids in day care.Then she started enjoying her life more now before.

So it's challenging,especially if you don't have husband who don't understand your pain.[/QUOTE]

True. having a part time job is what would work for me i guess. Not the regular untimely job. That becomes difficult to manage with a kid.

9. kiranmadhu

kiranmadhu Senior IL'ite

yes, i true to sit with him after the child sleeps. He sits with his laptop. We have a track of happenings for our misunderstanding. The less i depend on him, the more i am at peace.

10. kiranmadhu

kiranmadhu Senior IL'ite

A part time maid will definitely help you , try one . Lower your standards a bit if you are very fastitious . You will enjoy your baby more and not be exhausted.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear from a person who has felt and experienced the same. I have tried having some maids. But somehow not as satisfied. As I am at home 24x7, cleaning also becomes a 24x7 job. I have noticed that i wasn't this much into house work while i was working. I could compromise on the dust or dirt more then. But when you sit at home all the time and the dust and dirt stares at you, it becomes difficult to compromise. :spin
    not saying the clutter thrown around by the kid that keeps lying around the floor restricting your movement. oops, i am either picking up the bits of snacks or mopping, cleaning the floor to prevent ants.