1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Language problem for my kid!

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by aartijadhav, Feb 26, 2010.

1. aartijadhav

aartijadhav New IL'ite

Hi

Mine was a intercaste marraige. I'm maharashtrian and my husband is mangalorean. So they speak tulu at home. N i'm still trying to pick up the language.:idontgetit:
    My daughter is 15months old. My poor li'l one might be having tough time understanding all languages.:confused2: Coz at my mom's place everyone talks to her in Marathi, my inlaws talk to her in Tulu, I and my DH talk to her in Hindi\English, so that she atleast has one common language understood right.
    Most amazing part is that she does responds to all of them..
    But still I m worried on how exactly will she handle this, isnt it too much for her li'l brain? Witsend What exactly will she pick up?
    Anyone here who is in similar situation?

2. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

at my moms place everyone talks kannada
    and my dads place telugu
    since childhood i can understand kannada but can talk telugu perfectly
    now i know both languages nicely
    so dont worry your daughter should be fine with both languages
    and she has a very good oppurtunity to learn 2 different languages

3. archanajl

archanajl New IL'ite

hi,

yeah...I understad ur feeling. She indeed has a lot of language around here. But as U say she responds to all of it, I think u need not worry.

I have not experienced this situation. but I have read a lot that children learn languages very easily at this stage. so I think she will be an expert of all languages.

4. aartijadhav

aartijadhav New IL'ite

Wow..that sounds relieving!!
    I always get comments like "oh ur kid understands what? So much to take for such a li'l one"

I also do get back saying isnt that good to know so many languages!! :cool:

But still the question used to bother me....:roll:

Thx for sharing your views!! Thx all.

5. pandusk

pandusk Gold IL'ite

Hi aartijadhav,

A friend of mine who is a tamilian married a telugite and their kid responds to both the languages and can switch over immediately and the best part is she speaks telugu to the people at her mom's side and tamil to everyone at dad's side.....

Isn't that amazing...i really wonder how can children know which language to speak to the right people....

So do not worry

Regards,
    Pandu

6. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

dear

Dont worry. My son is Iyer and DL is from UP. Their language is hindi. My grand kid is 2 1/2 years old. they are staying at hyderabad. My children decided in such a way that, my son will talk to the kid only in tamil and my DL in hindi ( both their mother toungues). We all talked to her in tamil while nani,s side hindi. She is having English and hindi from the play school. Now the beauty is, my grand kid when talking to her father or to us will talk in tamil. If she talks to her mother and their family people in hindi, to the apartment kids and others in english and to our cook who is a telugu lady she talks beautiful broken telugu like Emi Chesunnaru?

so dont worry, children are brilliant and be sure that you two talk to her in your mother tougues. Other languages she will catch up on her own.

ganges