1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Language of Heart!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by srinivasan_vanaja, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear Srinivasan-Vanaja,

You are quite right about the language of conversation that it is mainly a means of communication. But, I have experienced not the language problem, but adamancy on the part of the other party. When I went to Gujarath, I found people although knowing Hindi and English refused to reply to me in these languages and replied only in Gujarathi. When I was in Vienna, I asked the information desk officer in English about some information I wanted. He told me 'No English please'. Although he was knowing English he refused to talk in English and since I did not know Austrian or German, I had to take the help of another kind gentleman who translted my question into German. Once when I came to Chennai at Central station all the taxi drivers started talking to me in Hindi and I had to tell them that I know Tamil and they can talk to me in Tamil. Sometime back, I had seen an advertisement 'Tamilaridam Tamilil pesungal' which I follow. I tend to think in Tamil and translate into English many times.

Regards,

TDU

2. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

hi tdu,

you have given a nice information about gujarat. thank you for sharing.

regards,

vanaja

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Vanaja,

I agree with u, that we make fools of ourselves trying to speak in a different language with which we are not comfortable with, where as we could have spoken our mother topngue ,if we re in the same state.True very true.

Good one.Regards.kamal

4. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

hello kamalji,

thanks for your words of appreciation.

regards,

vanaja

5. sujathae

sujathae Senior IL'ite

Dear Vanaja madam, What you have said is very true. It is we the tamilians who feel that it is a disgrace to talk in our own language. If u go to other states in India, we can find the locals talking only in their own mother tongue. Even outside our country when two or three people get to talk to each other and if they are from the same state they will only talk in their own language. Only tamils will converse in English and try to bring out all their talents and some times foolishness too by talking in English. A person who has the basic love for his/her motherland and love for his mother tongue will never converse in Alien language amidst the crowd which can speak his own language.