1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Language of Heart!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by srinivasan_vanaja, Oct 4, 2007.

1. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

Editor's Note: Thank you for sharing this with us. It has been chosen as the Best of Forums. Congratulations! for viewership by a larger audience we have it as an article here.

----------------------
    Dear ILites,

When I had been to the bank, I observed a middle aged person conversing with the Customer Care Department in a language which is neither Tamil nor English. I am not quiet sure whether he was able to convey his queries properly and do not know how far he had understood their replies too.

Most of us do the same I agree. But when it comes to important conversations like talking to a bank personnel, enquiring about products that we desire to buy, regarding loan application, medical enquiry etc., I see lot of people struggling with the fluency in English. Finally they end up with dissatisfaction because of their not being confident in what they speak and bring disgrace to themselves.

Why is it so? Is this language barrier very necessary?

When we belong to a same state and when we know our mother tongue very well, why don't we converse in our mother tongue and get our doubts clarified instead of making a mess out of the language in which we are not confident.

I do agree at certain places we need to speak English and that is unavoidable. But when we meet people belonging to different state and language, we try to collect more words from their own language and converse. What is the purpose? Nothing but we want them to understand what we speak. Is it not true?

When I take this language English which is international - I feel personally that it is not that dear to me than my mother tongue. Though I can converse in English properly and confidently, I am very comfortable only in my mother tongue.

Well, the language English is the major part of our Education System. Many of us get attracted to its style, pronunciation and it sounds quiet decent when we speak. I agree, but that doesn't mean we would be respected or considered high only if we speak in English.

Can we not converse in our mother tongue decently, stylishly and more attractively by not using derogatory words?

When you come across a dumb person, how do you converse? There we apply the "language of heart" which is universal.

So, I conclude that when you converse, the language is a very important factor. And the only aim of the conversation should be that it should be understood both by the conversing parties. No language is superior than other.

I think I have conversed properly.

Pen your words of thoughts.

Please Note : Dear members, please don't get over charged and start writing in your mother tongue in our IL forum. I know to read only Tamil, Hindi, English.

regards,

Vanaja

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2014

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi vanaja,

good topic. and you have definitely conversed well:thumbsup

I also feel that we need to converse more in our mother tongue that too with pride.
    Today morning I had a lady talking to me over the phone struggling in english, i took the initiative to talk in tamil, but the lady did not take the cue. i really dont know what to do in these kind of circumstances.

I have been told lot of times, that you think in your mother tongue and then translate into english/whatever other language.-
    For me, i have lived over in lot of places, I tend to think in english and then translate it into tamil. (I know there are lot of people like me...)

Language is a medium of communication.

Language is seen as a factor fuelling nationalistic pride all over . Look at how many riots we had in tamilnadu...Talking in mother tongue shows our pride in our roots.

but at the same time there are lot of people out there who have just slipped from achieving a post for want of conversing well in english.

The language of the heart and the language of music are the only two universal languages. :thumbsup

3. srinivasan_vanaja

hi shanthi,

Thanks for your reply. You have given a very nice tip - think in your mother tongue and then translate it to English. I feel this topic is very sensitive.

The lady that you have mentioned sets a typical example for all that I have mentioned about feeling inferior.

Regarding the language of heart, I add one more - Love.:-D

regards,

Vanaja

4. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

hi,

This problem of struggling to talk in english is a universal problem... This is not only to Tamilnadu... It is all over India and also, i have seen in other countries also...

There was a report in Times of India earlier that quite huge number of britons cant read and write english properly... They can talk the local dilect only....

But in India, talking in English has become a prestige issue than of necessity... People pressume that if a person talks in English, he is most learned man.... But strictly speaking he will be talking rubbish....

It is the perceptions of the people which makes them to go for this stupidity... This i smy personal opinion... Otherwise nobody will be intereseted in making a fool of oneself by talking in a very bad English...

At the same time the other side of the coin is, it is pathethic that qualified people and in good position could not converse very clearly in english... It is something which we have to accept....

I agree with you that if both the person are fluent with any particular language...tamil/hindi/mal.... etc... instead of making a hangama, they can converse in the local language....

I agree with you...

Veda

5. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends

Even i would like to say something,TO BE FRANK AND HONEST i am not well versed in speaking and wiritng in english , really , feeling shy and very bad to reply , i took lot of time for each and every reply, to ensure that i have not written something worse, i will try my level best to use correct words for everything,(my sister used to tease me that "iam writing as if iam speaking to them" that in dialogue form)

And i want to quote words of Vysan Sir here,

But in India, talking in English has become a prestige issue than of necessity... People pressume that if a person talks in English, he is most learned man
    At the same time the other side of the coin is, it is pathethic that qualified people and in good position could not converse very clearly in english... It is something which we have to accept....

I have completed my graduation and PG also ,but still could not talk fluently, mistake is mine, i shld take initative to improve my skill

If u people find any mistakes in my writing, pls feel free to point it out, and tell me the correct wordings,that will be morehlepful for me to rectify my mistake and improve my langauge9i wont feel shy to learn)

latamurali

6. srinivasan_vanaja

Hello Vysan,

Well said. Speaking fluent English is an universal problem, I agree.

My question is - Why don't we consider English as one of the language and why should we feel pathetic or consider somebody low when they are not able to speak proper English.

I feel the language proficiency is no where connected with one's intelligence. For example, let us take Bharathiyar (i really do not know whether he can speak English). Such a brilliant poet, he had penned all his knowledge and feelings only in his mother tongue. All his poems sound very decent and inspiring.

regards,

vanaja

7. srinivasan_vanaja

hi latha,

Please don't feel shy or bad. I compliment you. You have conversed well.

Moreover the practice of correcting your replies is a good one. By this you can certainly develop your English fluency.

When you speak in a language which you are not confident - try to speak patiently, use phrases with prior thinking. Don't go like an express. When you practice this way, your language will definitely improve. Practice makes man perfect.:thumbsup

regards

vanaja

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

This topic is interesting, Vanaja!
    My daughter said one day that she can express her feelings correctly in Tamil than in English. :yes: I was totally surprised and happy how she is well versed (!) in her mother tongue!
    my husband is very strict in this matter. He makes our children to read Tamil during the weekends and want them to talk in Tamil. He has succeeded in the former matter and not that much in the latter!
    It is very sad to see that people behave in such a way to show everyone that they are 'educated' ,speaking only in English.

On a lighter note I remember a joke---
    A person went to another state for some business. But that guy doesn't know that state's language. When asked how he managed and how the people understood him, he replied that ' I spoke correctly, but they didn't understand me well'. How is it?
    Hope i conversed well not like the 'business man'.
    Sriniketan

9. srinivasan_vanaja

hi sriniketan,

thanks for the reply. yes you have conversed well definitely not like that business man.

regards,

vanaja

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vanaja,

Read this very thought provoking thoughts of your's!
    Just to confirm what others have already said, yes, you do 'converse' very well !:)

Writing about language, you have stirred up a Pandora's box. Language is especially special to us Indians! I may be wrong, but barring perhaps S Africa, this language problem is quite unique to us in India...thanks to the servants of the HRH of England!

Like Shanti, I too think in English. Having been to a convent school, we were thought only in English those days. (let's not get into the particulars of year and age!!) My loss! It was only much later that Hindi was introduced as a second language and much much later, the regional language...as a Third language! The general impression in our minds those days was that these languages were not important, just good enough to get pass marks so as to keep up the report cards looking good.:-( Much much later, I was impressed to see that the youngsters preferred to be schooled in the local language schools opting English as the majors because it ensured him better admissions into their preferred college!

People of my generation who left India for abroad, did not place much importance on teaching their kids their own languages. Today, when I look around and see the local Tamil, Telugu etc etc classes for the little ones, I am amazed. Also, the young parents of today do pay a lot of respect to their language and roots. :clap

In India itself, I do agree that there is a certain snobbishness attached to being well versed in English. But I have noticed that the 'really' educated lot..the really enlightened ones...will shine in any language as long as they are the masters of it.

Still, we cannot underestimate the language problems we have in India. It is somewhat messed up. Hindi or no Hindi, English or no English..there is no end to this debate and debacle!

Like we have the Queen's English, American English, Australian English, I feel we have Indian English. It is ours to stay and we will keep it. No problems! Naa...what say you all...behens and bhais?

Nice one Vanaja.

L, Kamla