Langhar dal recipe

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by radhavj, Feb 14, 2010.

1. radhavj

radhavj Senior IL'ite

HI Friends!!
    Can anyone give me the recipe of Langhar dal?Heard it is served in all gurudwaras!! I think its a mix of all dals...It will be nice if someone shares this recipes!!!
    thanking you
    bye
    Radha
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

2. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Radha,

I am certain the food at the gurudwara would taste great. Haven't heard about the dhal.
    Hope somebody who knows it will share the recipe with us here.

Bye

3. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Gurudwara Langar dal is usually Kaali Dal and Rajma cooked together.

Take about a cupful of kaali dal and about one-fourth cup of rajma. Soak for a few hours.

You can pressure cook them if you want, but the real taste is when you actually let both the lentils cook on slow fire for an hour or till done.

When they are well-cooked, in another small kadai, heat some ghee. Add jeera, onion, garlic, hing, chopped tomatoes. Cook till pulpy. Pour this on the boiled dal. Let it simmer. Adjust salt, red chilli powder according to taste.

One thing is for sure....no matter hw hard we try, we will never be able to achieve tha exact taste that we get from the langar food...that is because the langar food is a prasad of Guru Nanak ji and it is filled with blessings and also it is made with a lot of devotion by the people who actually come to the gurudwara to do "sewa" ie. they help in cleaning, cooking, rolling chapatis, cleaning vessels, serving people etc.

3 people like this.
  4. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Hi

I have also eaten at Gurudwara Langhars in Manikaran in Himachal Pradesh {very very beautiful Gurudwara}, Golden Temple in Amritsar and iDubai ; also visited Anantapur Sahib Gurudwara. They taste so Heavenly. As rightly said by Gurbani, its the prasad of God, so the taste is beyond reach.

Best Regards
    Shanti