Lack of Folic Acid before Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by shiresha, Dec 5, 2014.

1. shiresha

shiresha New IL'ite

Hello All,

Hope all are doing good!

My name is shireesha from bangalore.

We have a 2 year girl and her name is "Pranati" and now we are planning for second kid. Before that we want to know haemoglobin, folic acid, Thyroid levels. I went for health check up with Thyrocare. They only collect Blood samples.

For the first pregnancy we did not consult the doctor and we did not check for the Folic acid values and other values.

We got blood reports from Thyrocare two days back and we met Doctor Kavitha Kovi at Apollo Clinic, Kundanahalli. By seeing the reports she suggested to wait for 2 months and she suggested to take tablets due to the lack of folic acid.

According to the reports, my folic acid value is :

FOLIC ACID C.L.I.A 4.5 ng/ml (Reference Range :> 5.38 ng/ml)

Could you please suggest me, Can I proceed for pregnancy by taking the tablets(folsafe - folic acid tablets) which Doctor has suggested.

Thanks,
    Shireesha.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You can take a good prenatal vitamin which has folic acid. Also make sure your vitamin D and thyroid levels are fine, and start trying. Wish you all the best!

1 person likes this.
  3. shiresha

shiresha New IL'ite

4. Catgol

Catgol Platinum IL'ite

Hi folate is very important for the brain development , spine development of the baby . Also it prevents chromosome errors .. My friend pregnancy ended up in a still birth ( the baby had turner syndrome ) no not trying to scare you just telling my own experience because I was only 22 and was not aware of the significance of folate . Second pregnancy I took the advice of doctor and had folic acid tablet 6 months before conceiving . So listen to your doc 's advice . My best wishes to you

5. Catgol

Catgol Platinum IL'ite

It was a typo error . I suffered a still birth