Kurukshetra-The Land Of Mahabharat

Discussion in 'Northern and Central Indian States' started by menila01, Sep 10, 2009.

1. menila01

menila01 Senior IL'ite

On the banks of River Saraswati, history is almost palpable.

Sages once recited the Vedas here;

Brahma and his deities performed yajnas;

Vashishtha and Vishwamitra attained divinity.

Kauravas and Pandavas fought a bloody battle and

Lord Krishna delivered the message of Gita to Arjuna.

It was here on this tract of land that the Hindus surrendered their crowns, Muslims lost their thrones and Marathas and Sikhs frittered away their power.

This is Kurukshetra. Eons ago, goes the legend, King Kuru came here on his golden chariot, which was magically transformed into a plough. Yoked to the bull of Lord Shiva and the buffalo of Lord Yama, the King began to till the land. Lord Vishnu descended on the fields and asked Kuru to sow the virtues of mankind. Kuru shred his right arm in a thousand pieces with Vishnu's Chakra and planted them. Vishnu granted Kuru two boons--the land would be named after him and anyone dying here would go straight to heaven.

Kurukshetra is just 160 kilometres from Delhi.

I have a friend who is from kurukshetra...
    How many of you ILs belong to this place?
    Let us all share a few legends about the great epic which took place here., so people would know ,how great our history is...
    Regards...:)

2. Kainaat

Kainaat New IL'ite

Hi
    I joined IL today only. I studied in Kurukshetra Univ for 10 years from 1993-2003. Would like to meet more people from Kurukshetra.
    With Love:)

3. jasmine1763

jasmine1763 Senior IL'ite

I have been on a pilgrimage to this place once.

Kurukshetra besides being a seat of learning and knowledge for Hundus has also been a place of great interest for Sikhs. This land has become holier with the advent of all the Sikh Gurus who have visited this place from time to time. Isn't it?