1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Kumon vs. Eye level

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by dhanasathesh, Jun 2, 2014.

1. dhanasathesh

dhanasathesh New IL'ite

Hi all,

My daughter is 5.6 yrs old and right now we are in India. We are planning to come to USA in a month. She doesn't know English reading. I want to send her to some reading class before she starts her KG there.

I just want to know which English reading class is good for her? Either Kumon or Eye level? Please share your pros and cons about these two. Also tell about the fees rate and class timings...

thanks in advance...

2. surx05

surx05 New IL'ite

I personally dont like Kumon, its a 'bher chaal' as we call it in Hindi..ppl follow each other! They hv predefined worksheet kind of papers/booklet for a week, which your child is supposed to do and submit..its basically on practise-practise whether maths or english, which i feel as a parent we ourselves can do instead of spending money on worksheets they give, we can buy books and consistently make them do a page at home..same as wht Kumon does! Sylvan and some other learning centres are better comparatively as they r one-on-one actually teaching the concepts and not just handing over the sheets!

3. surx05

surx05 New IL'ite

search for phonics..for english reading there r many videos and websites and worksheets...she will enjoy thm!

1 person likes this.
  4. lvarada

lvarada Bronze IL'ite

Hi Dhana,
    I am in the similar situation. my daughter in 5.3 years old and is doing UKG in India. We will be moving to US this year end. I am planning to take her to a spoken english class...but wanted to know if that is enough from your experience. Can any of you who had to move to US with a non fluently english speaking kid to US beyond 5 years of age? can you please help?

Regards,
    Lalitha V

5. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I was happy with English in Kumon ....I felt my child learnt a lot .

math at kumon is very repetitive though ...

6. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Lalitha,

Actually school it self help kids to pick up language and they have special classes to help kids to pickup language.none of the kumon or eyelevel will help them.

Especially 5 years old will pick up things in no time especially with language.

Eventually if you think Kumon or eyelevel may help with academic goals but not for learning language.

So no need to worry.Your kids will be just fine.Only be supportive for her until they get adjusted in the schools.

7. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

If you settle down in a reasonably good school district, your kid will pick up english in no time. School do a very good job of teaching english. You do not need any other classes. The school will offer ESL ( special english classes for kids who do not have english as native language). You will see the difference at the end of school year.

8. lvarada

lvarada Bronze IL'ite

thanks a lot armummy, Priya16 and butterflyice for answering my question. Hope to pester you all with lot more questions on school related Info in the near future as my travel gets finalised. Please bear with me :)