KUMON OR ABACUS - which is better ?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by mssunitha2001, Jan 9, 2009.

1. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Hello friends :)

Please can you post in your comments about which is the better learning method - KUMON or ABACUS ? :thumbsup

Expecting your views on...

age at which kids can start learning, speed, understanding ability,
    accuracy, how far it helps with school portions...etc., Please..may i request i need feedbacks from your children......as they will be able to tell more....about how they feel....

Just cant wait till you reply ..................:coffee .

-sunitha

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009

2. raagini

raagini Silver IL'ite

[ just for my knowledge ] Hi Suneetha , I do not know anything about ABACUS or KUMON .
    I've seen an advertisement yesterday about ABACUS basic math training [thread=44999]here[/thread] and made a
    quick search on the net . I could just find the related commercial institution at Delhi .

& after seeing your post , I searched again and came across a review on KUMON system .
    I feel that it is an honest review and giving its link . I hope that moderators keep this link .

I hope that our friends here come with more useful information . Thanks .

Edit : See also similar threads listed at the bottom of this page .

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  3. mssunitha2001

Hai raagini !!!!!!!!:):waveBow

First of all........ THANK U SO MUCH .......for your sincere effort to collect details about abacus and post them. THANKS A LOT RAAGINI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I too searched in the net and have posted the words as found in the net...ok

FOR THE READERS WHO INTEND TO ENROL THEIR DEAR KIDS IN ABACUS....

Using an abacus, a child can do all arithmetic calculations up to 10 digits and master the skill of doing it mentally, without relying on modern devices such as calculators.
    There are procedures and training methodologies to master abacus use. When children use both hands to move the beads for small and large arithmetic calculations, the quick communication between hands and brain not only stimulates brain cells promoting speedier and faster calculation ability but also promotes quick, balanced and whole brain development.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

KUMON

Enrolling your child in Kumon will mean concrete learning steps every day. Kumon learning is practical and relies on paper, pencil, eraser and daily practice. Most parents would be familiar with this focus on content rather than on the tools of computers, calculators or theories

Fitting the shoe to the foot - a new approach to learning

Kumon recognizes that not all children learn at the same pace. The learning method reflects this to ensure that each child receives a level of worksheet that is matched to their individual ability. In this way, each child develops confidence, learning skills and subject knowledge at a rate that is 'just right' for them.

child became increasingly aware of their ability to learn Math or languages they would almost certainly expand that learning as time went on.

So that school life is easier and more enjoyable

Smooth progress to materials ahead of their school curriculum is not only common at Kumon but students' skills are such that they are able to continue to learn quite independently from that point at their 'just right' pace. School work becomes easier, homework more manageable and school life is less stressful.

Toru Kumon often recalled his own schooling and said, "I didn't want to be a great Math student, but I did want to get far enough ahead that I could take it easy." His philosophy then developed around the idea of getting ahead so that school was a more enjoyable and successful experience.

"Searching for the real potential of children is the aim of good education." - Toru Kumon
    -----------------------------------------------

I have heard of sip abacus in India but not kumon. If any centre is there near your place why not enrol your kids to the centres and let them enjoy the marvel of mathematics.... i will be enrolling my daughter (younger) in abacus and son
    in kumon.

Keerthivasan's :thumbsup mom.....your attention please...

- SUNITHA

4. raagini

raagini Silver IL'ite

5. yvonnemommy

yvonnemommy New IL'ite

:hiya
    DD’s teacher sent us to this site www.beestar.org for free math programs.
    I am too excited about it. The math worksheet is FREE all year long for Grade 1-6 online. All real life word problems, challenging stuff to help kids thinking.
    It's definitely more interesting problems than the worksheets for Kumon. DD loves it. I am going to drop Kumon next week, to save $$ and save my time.
    Just to share.
    Oh, Beestar has English language art, Science, GTMath as well for $30/semester. We tried those sample tests, but for now we just do free math.
    Since there is free online math, why pay for Kumon?
    Lisa

6. mssunitha2001

Hats off to you raagini :cheers:thumbsup:-)
    for providing very very useful information !!!!!!!!!!!

all moms over here.....your kind attention please!!!!! make your kids an expert in mathematics !!!!!!!!!!!!

-sunitha

7. mssunitha2001

hello yvonnemommy

thanks for sharing information about beestar.org for free math programs.

[/quote]yvonnemommy

The math worksheet is FREE all year long for Grade 1-6 online. All real life word problems, challenging stuff to help kids thinking.
    It's definitely more interesting problems than the worksheets for Kumon. DD loves it. I am going to drop Kumon next week, to save $$ and save my time.

Just to share.
    Oh, Beestar has English language art, Science, GTMath as well for $30/semester. We tried those sample tests, but for now we just do free math.

[/quote]​

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  8. ramshree

ramshree New IL'ite

thanks for providing link