1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kumon/Beestar/Gideon/Aloha etc...... Classes for kids

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Anushiv, May 21, 2007.

1. sprat

sprat New IL'ite

Aloha Mental Arithmatics

I am wondering if there are Aloha Mental Arithmatics classes conducted in Massachussetes (particularly nearby areas like, westborough, framingham, shrewsbury, marlborough etc).

However it doesn matter if anyone have any information regarding the Aloha programme or any other mental arithmatics programme in conducted here at Massachussetes it will be a great help as I am looking for to enrol my kids.

Thank you
    Sprat

2. lakshmit

lakshmit Bronze IL'ite

Re: Free online math in Beestar, vs paying for Kumon?

Nancy,
    Where do u live in boston? Where do they teach this maths - u all said something about beestar... could u give me the site information and do i've to pay anything for that?

love..
    lakshmi.

3. vidhyaramkumar

vidhyaramkumar Senior IL'ite

hi,
    I'm also confused in choosing with math methodology. My daughter who is 6 now, was going KUMON last year, after 4 months she lost interest saying its all repetition. From the beginning her problem is that she cant keep repeatedly do anything. Same has happened with KUMON so i stopped. I am thinking of putting her in ALOHA. Is it useful? I live in Jersey city,NJ and anybody who goes to Jersey city aloha center. Let me know how the center is?

vidhya

4. Shilpa77

Shilpa77 Senior IL'ite

Hi Vidhya,

I'm planning to sign my daughter into ALOHA as well.. She's 5.5 . I've heard it is mental math - non repetitive and kids enjoy doing it and they also are given homework. I'm not aware of the one in Jersey city - I live in central NJ - so have some good feedback about the one in west windsor..

You can actually take a tour around the center to see if she will be interested?..

-Shilpa.

1 person likes this.
  5. desigirlfromdel

desigirlfromdel New IL'ite

Kumon is much much better than any other programs like Aloha , Chinese math etc ...No doubt about it! I have tried everything for my daughter
    Others is not a long term solution, Aloha is like a magic and tells you the tricks to do those calculations mentally. But Kumon is a long term solutions and builds the foundation first before moving ahead. More over Aloha just teaches 4 basic operations, but Kumon is from Pre K to College level Math and Reading program. Approach is slow, but very good. I am totally convinced with it and have seen at least 10-15 friends’ kids taking benefit from it. With others, i don’t see any benefits other than doing those 4 basics operations..
    Kumon has less of word problems, but they stress a lot upon building the foundation…So if foundation is good, word problems are nothing. they have very compressive curriculum which covers almost every topic , like fractions, algebra, integral calculus etc etc

1 person likes this.
  6. ss2009

ss2009 New IL'ite

What do they teach in kumon reading?

7. kalavati

kalavati New IL'ite

Hi,

My experience with Kumon has been good. It is expensive from the financial aspect but if we can afford for education, it is one of the best we cud give our kids. My son has been going to Kumon from Grade 4, now in Grade 8 and has successfully come to Level O in Math(last level in Kumon). He has not only high scores in Kumon but also in his school. We cud see his love for Maths increase as he passed each level. Ofcourse, I need to add one thing as a parent that it is better that one of the parents should help the child throughout. It is a self-teaching method so as the child they will need our support & help. He did not go to reading so I don't have personal experience but I know from our friends that their child was reading better after attending Kumon.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  8. stellaq

stellaq New IL'ite

Hi, I like Kumon. The kids' attitude of study, confidence, patience and independence can be built gradually in Kumon environment. My son has been there for a long time. Since he grows older, I register him in Beestar, where he can do the free math practice, reading and vocabulary. He enjoys Beestar and gets his name on the honor roll. I think the combination of Kumon and Beestar is great.

1 person likes this.
  9. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

After Ging thru this thread, i joined my son in Kumon level 7 for reading. We are defn very happy with the decision. He can already read quite few sentence on his own and has devloped a good Vocabulury. Though its little repetition and the kids tend to get bored. But it defn helps them to learn better. I also love their Flash card method.

vaidehi

1 person likes this.
  10. yvonnemommy

yvonnemommy New IL'ite

We are big fans of beestar! DD has been using beestar for 2 years. Since there are many kids from different states using beestar, DD can compete with them and I can also know where DD goes. When her name appears on the honor roll, she is very very happy.:rotfl

Lisa

1 person likes this.