Krishna says Atma is always the same and never changes, in Gita 2.12.

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Nov 22, 2007.

1. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Dear Chith

First of all thank you very much. I was very happy to see the post.

So you are explaining about atma here. Atma is always there. I think we relate everything to body level. And we are so used to that. we just cannot think beyond that. So to accept this concept it really will take time. Our mind just cannot accept it. We should be really able to experience it. All said knowing that Atma is eternal is the beginning of understanding. As time passes we likely to understand more.

Shanti's and Chithra's interaction helped to understand the examples better. Thanks

Love
    vidhi

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear AC,
    You have very correctly explained & I now know, you have grasped what I want to convey !
    Understanding is the first step. Accepting, in this case, will come much later !
    I am very proud of you, my dear Middle C !
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. Chitvish

Dear Shanthi,
    I am just quoting another example which is my teacher's favourite.
    Chain, bangle etc are all made of gold. But when melted, they all go back to the original form, that is gold.
    Bangle, chain etc are all "names" (nama rupa), whereas gold is the pervading "atma".
    We will proceed in steps. But I am happy, you are understanding this now.
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. Chitvish

Dear Vidhi,
    Thanks for your prompt attendance !
    I would like you all to read my posts
    Wha is Atma? - Part 1
    What is Atma ? - Part 2
    The understanding will be easy.

That was why before posting the second chaptr, I wanted to introduce Atma.
    We generally think, Gita is easy & enjoyable to read. No, far from it. These technical points have to be understood, since they abound as we proceed.
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Chithvish,
    You had explained Atma with various examples which is very easy to understand because i am reading the 2nd chapter now as a part of a daily routine!

sriniketan

6. Chitvish

Dear Bhargavi,
    Thanks for joining us here.
    I am sure your understanding will be better, since you are doing Parayanam at home, simultaneously !
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

My dearest Chithra,

I am very sad as I am not able to keep up with the pace of things these days!!
    I am not finding all that much time to spend online and in the given break, I do not wish to hurry through your wonderful posts on Gita and Vedanta. I like to read them with a peaceful mind and anyways, I need to 'concentrate' while reading if I need to grasp the meaning.
    When you know Tamil, it is easy, but for a person who does not know it, it is all a mystery!!
    Well, in another couple of weeks, I will have more time.
    In the meanwhile, I shall go through your posts in these threads and will get back again.

L, Kamla

8. Chitvish

Dearest Kamla,
    I have inferred that you are quite busy with little or no time to log in IL !
    No problem at all. But once you are back to your routine, please read the Gita posts because you have always been my sounding board in my culture threads.
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear C

This is a very convincing explanation and now understand why anatma is also asochya( my query to the previous post answered ). If only we can remember that we are all the same( Atmaneva paranapi pashyatha like MahaPeriva said in Maithrim bhajatha ), we would never harm anybody. Can you please explain the purpose of Maya, that makes us believe that we are all different? Also, what happens when a person attains moksha...I am just wondering what will happen if at some point in time everybody attains moksha. Still thinking - thanks to your post..!

-Gayathri.

10. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Gayathri
    You have raised some interesting questions I have started thinking about it too Waiting to read what our friend is going to write.